Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Training Journal Section CALL OUTS

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Good luck to Charlene and PTarlton too. Some good stuff going on in here

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    Be sure to take a vid of it so you can post it here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift View Post
    CONFIDENCE + VIDEO = RESULT !!

You got that man.
    It's been a while since I've pressed over 4 bills. I was close last fall before all the issues with my shoulders flared up. I close gripped 315 for an easy 10 last week so it should be in the bag... might even have more than 405 in the tank. CAMERA WILL BE ROLLING.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    Not bench. Benching will draw your shoulders forward and make it harder for you to snatch and perform the jerk in the clean & jerk. You will want to be push pressing a good amount though. If you're serious you'll base your training around increasing the 2 lifts.

I forgot you mentioned you have disk injuries. That will def hamper your gains in this sport. Many lifters were forced to retire early b/c of that very injury like Cheryl Hayworth.

Just be patient and give it your all and who knows where you'll end up. At a 94kg you need what?.... a 270kg total. That's a 120kg Snatch and a 150kg C&J.
    My disk injuries will not hamper my gains. They only stop me from Deadlifting super-heavy weights that I won't need to pull in compeittion unless I become olympic caliber. It will only slow me down if I believe it will. Something like .25 or half of all adults have disk issues and they don't even know about them. Ronnie Coleman Squatted and Deadlifted 800 for reps after he blew disks out. Derek Poundstone has some blown disks as well. I have added 20kg to my Clean in 4 months and my disk problems have not held me back.

I know for a fact that my Press would not be where it is if I did not Bench Press. The Bench Press is the best exercise for general upper body strength and for the triceps. Whether or not Benching helps the quick lifts is not a black and white closed book issue. Evgeny Chigishev and Dmitry Klokov both Bench huge weights and they are world class lifters. The reason many coaches advise against benching is not because it draws the shoulders forward. This simply won't occur with all the pulling that training the olympic lifts demands. And shoulder imbalances can easily be avoided with properly balanced training. They advise against it because there is some belief that the pressing muscles become too tense, too accustomed to slow lifting, and not elastic enough for the rhythm of the snatch and the jerk. For this reason the same coaches also advise against pressing and push pressing. I do not see this as a strong argument since all the best shot putters in the world bench press super-heavy weights and they are all still very explosive athletes.

The coaches I talk to and train with (who have trained Olympians in the US) don't advise against Push Press at all. It's actually quite the contrary. They do think bench is something which isn't necessary b/c that lift doesn't have any carry over and if done enough it does draw the shoulders forward. You have to work to keep the shoulder girdle "open".

That's a great attitude to have about your past injuries but they will have an impact on your lifting. Like I said, it was on of the major contributing factors for Cheryl to stop lifting. You also have to realize they are not hampering you at all at the moment b/c you're just starting out. Keep pushing it and lifting for 5 years and than if there isn't a problem you can say they aren't hampering your lifts.

As a 94kg lifter, to be Olympic Caliber you need to be hitting 170+kg Snatch and 210+ C&J. If you do that, you'll be achieving something which few have done in a very long time here.

Like I said, I wish you the best and keep at it. We need more people in the US to pick up Olympic Weightlifting if we're going to keep this sport alive.
    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Thursday 14th July I will deadlift 315 x 15.
    Weighed in at 143lb. Video on the way, it was pretty brutal...

Banned

lets see it

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

80% loaded on YouTube, 3mins to go haha

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

My goal?
    To continue to get good solid workouts, to get good results, but to enjoy life and not obsess in fear about every fucking workout.

Banned

nice! looked easy.

btw how do you train to that music lol

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by broheawaiian View Post
    nice! looked easy.

btw how do you train to that music lol
    Thanks man, yeah the first 7 were fairly easy. TBH I was feeling a bit flat today and didn't think I'd get the 15, I was wrecked by the 12th rep lol.

Fucking music was terrible, some 80's crap blasting away but I can't say I noticed it. I was in the zone and would have passed out unconscious before I gave up on that set !!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

I've also just found out that video has been posted on the "Worlds strongest Powerlifters' page on Facebook. Check it out...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Worlds...02158819805960

Gotta laugh a little at that

KICK ASS JIM!!!! I was rooting you on while watching the vid lol!!! It's made all that more impressive given that "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was playing in the background while you repped that bitch out.

Forum Leader: Member Training Journals, Training The Joker's Avatar

You guys remember the shit music that was always playing in Yukons vids?
    Not Everything. Not Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
    My goal?
    To continue to get good solid workouts, to get good results, but to enjoy life and not obsess in fear about every fucking workout.
    Well that's a pretty fucking lame thing to have as a goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvOUV...mbedded#at=152

Start watching around 1:20

Quote Originally Posted by PTarleton View Post
    Well that's a pretty fucking lame thing to have as a goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvOUV...mbedded#at=152

Start watching around 1:20
    PTarleton is right that's pretty shitty goals you got set right there. Goals need to be definable meaning they should have an amount, a time frame, etc. Don't be vague, be specific and don't be afraid to fail. You learn more from failing that you will ever learn from getting something right the 1st time.
    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Here it is...

Chris (Ratchet) was spotting me and you will see him go to give me assistance when I got the bar about half way up at which point I yelled "I got it, I got it" and then I blasted the bar up to lock out. I think I could have gone up another 10-15lbs and nailed it but I did not want to risk injuring myself, especially with my contest next week. I am so happy that I my shoulders are feeling healthy and my strength is returning, never mind I am on a pre-contest cutting diet. Makes me VERY excited to see what I can do when I start eating "regularly" again after my show.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast