Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you mentally prep for a big lift?

Default how do you mentally prep for a big lift?

hey guys, sorry for the lame question. i'll try not to bore you with too many details but lately i dont have the same intensity & focus in the gym that i used to. im pretty sure it has something to do with me changing gyms and my current gym sucks ass. i know some guys have that killer focus and can block out any major buffoonery that may be going on around them, but i'm starting to lose my edge.

I was hoping you guys wouldnt mind discussing what goes thru your head before you go for that big lift (whether it be 1RM or 6RM)? Or, what goes thru your head to get you motivated to even make that drive to the gym everyday?
    I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Happens to me too from time to time.

I just close my eyes and think about dominating the weight. Force myself to get aggressive. Grip the bar hard, tighten everything up and explode out of the rack. Hardcore music helps A LOT!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

VISUALISE
    FOCUS & CLEAR THE MIND
    100% CONFIDENCE
    COMMIT YOURSELF TO THE LIFT
    DISMISS FAILURE COMPLETELY FROM YOUR MIND
    LIFT LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT

I run through those steps for all of my big lifts, rarely miss them nowadays. Your body can only achieve what the mind thinks is capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift View Post
    VISUALISE
    FOCUS & CLEAR THE MIND
    100% CONFIDENCE

I run through those steps for all of my big lifts, rarely miss them nowadays. Your body can only achieve what the mind thinks is capable.
    QFT!!!!! I picture myself completing what I set out to do and it never fails. I zone out, nothing but me and the weight, it ALWAYS happens when you get your head in it

Quote Originally Posted by GermaniaK View Post
    close my eyes and think about dominating the weight. Force myself to get aggressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift View Post
    VISUALISE
    FOCUS & CLEAR THE MIND
    100% CONFIDENCE

Your body can only achieve what the mind thinks is capable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman19 View Post
    picture myself completing what I set out to do and it never fails. I zone out, nothing but me and the weight...get your head in it
    thanks guys i appreciate it. i'll probly have to read this thread everyday before going to the gym for motivation. its getting to the point where i actually had to text one of my former lifting buddies between sets for some motivational words (it worked btw).

i used to go to Ed Coan's gym and never had this problem, but change in work schedule screwed that up & now im forced to go to the only gym open past 10pm. i'm the only powerlifter in a gym full of 130 lb-ers where more people use the bench for abs than actual pressing.
    I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

For me, a lot of it is a deep seeded anger that I've built up over the years. I don't know ... I can just let it out on command when I need to, but it took months of practice to get it 100% on command every time. I'm a total different person and all I feel the moment before I unrack is pure hate, but a sort of calm hate...

I'm one of those people that suppresses emotions most of the time, if that makes any more sense to the above. lol

i definitely need to work on that. channel my anger & frustrations into the workout. i've done it before w/some good turn out, i just spend more time trying to forget about that kinda stuff. good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by maxamill29 View Post
    i definitely need to work on that. channel my anger & frustrations into the workout. i've done it before w/some good turn out, i just spend more time trying to forget about that kinda stuff. good advice.
    You definitely need to channel that anger and stress to stay motivated and train hard. I'm not at Quads anymore myself, so I will have to channel some anger also
    twitter: @badbadleroyb, www.leroysmayhem.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by bad bad leroy brown View Post
    You definitely need to channel that anger and stress to stay motivated and train hard. I'm not at Quads anymore myself, so I will have to channel some anger also
    dude wtf?! where you at now? u still workin up north? send PM if you prefer not to make it public info

I visualize a lot, I see myself doing the lift correctly. I channel a lot of motivational movies or scenes I've seen and then go attack the weight.
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @animalpak @universalusa

I just blast some good music in my ears and KNOW that I'll complete the lift. You can't hesitate if you want to lift big weights.
    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

^^sounds good fella's. i dont think i hesitate, im usually pretty confident that im going to get the lift...but there are those days where i am a little off and start to question my strength/endurance. it doesnt help that im ALWAYS catching people looking at me, especially when im squatting or deadlifting (the racks are right in front of the mirror). one guy actually came and sat down on the bench right next to me just to stare right at me while i was about to do my set. if i could just tune out some of these distractions i think i'd be ok.

i always try and focus but yes its hard sometime, so i just think to myself ok i've drove all the way here, now i can either screw around and waste this time or get with it and get it done. no excuses.

I've found music to be a major part of my big lifts. I never lifted a max without having a set of headphones in. That can tell you something on how important your mind is.

I started lifting because that's how I got my anger out. Any emotion I felt I put it towards the weight and went as hard as I could. I've been going for 5 years now, you need to mentally put your emotions into your lifts. At the end of some sets it almost feels as if I'm going to break down from the amount of effort and mind I put into the lift. Never give up, never let the weight win.
    Those who can't, say YOU can't

seems like music doesnt help all that much anymore, im either in the zone or im not. also seems like when the gym isnt crowded that i can zone out just fine. i think i just need to work on being less conscious of people around me...that or change gyms lol

I'm starting to hit a wall with music too. Sometimes the shit is just distracting
    twitter: @badbadleroyb, www.leroysmayhem.blogspot.com

Music really helps me, I have a couple of go to songs that always get me in the zone
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @animalpak @universalusa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast