Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keith Williams - Two Weeks Out - Workout and More

In the past three years Keith Williams has competed in seven bodybuilding contests that were pro qualifying events. In two of those contests Williams took third. And in the other five he was runner up. In this video, Williams gives us some idea about how it feels to be so close, so many times.

thats what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Chode Logan View Post
    I don't think you'll find many guys over 5'9 and 250 lbs with a 30 inch waist, I agree that's pretty ridiculous.

Regardless his waist does look smaller then it did before.
    Yes his waist is smaller than it was a few years ago for sure, it looks much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jude2 View Post
    Yes his waist is smaller than it was a few years ago for sure, it looks much better.
    all seriousness though...never been a fan of his physique...but he sounds like a overall good man. now as a bodybuider good chance he will come in bigger then dusty but dusty is gonna smoke em in conditioning.

sounds like a good guy though

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    this is not a knock on Keith,or any other aspiring pro for that matter, but it seems to me that oftentimes some of these guys get so caught up in the immediate future or short-term goal(to gt a pro card) that they fail to think in a broader manner.
    Maybe i am wrong,but it seems to me that for some of these guys who compete for so long,that it almost becomes an "obsession" without any rational thought behind it.
    Maybe it would be a good thing to seat back and ask yourself WHY you need a pro crad and HOW a pro card can possibly benefit your life and the life of those around you. Isnt there anything else that i could put my time and energy into, that would actually make a truly significant change in my life and in the life of others?
    That is just crazy...
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

IFBB PRO

Default Obsessed

[QUOTE=RockyIII;2832254]this is not a knock on Keith,or any other aspiring pro for that matter, but it seems to me that oftentimes some of these guys get so caught up in the immediate future or short-term goal(to gt a pro card) that they fail to think in a broader manner.
    Maybe i am wrong,but it seems to me that for some of these guys who compete for so long,that it almost becomes an "obsession" without any rational thought behind it.

I would not call striving for greatness, an obsession. I don't know at what level you have participated in sports. Most of the top a NPC guys come from a very high level sports background excelling at a high level. It's about setting goals achieving those goals, and of course winning comes with most of the goals that are set by these athletes! Me personal played college football at the University of Michigan where we went 12-0 winning a National title in 97. It's not about obsession, it's about competing and being at your very best every time you compete regardless of the sport. I think there is a lot of positive from Keith's particular situation, never give up, always maintain a good attitude, positive words about his fellow competitors, dedication, etc. So how is that not positive or not significantly changing someone's life? Keith has a son so how is that not positive for his son to model himself after his father? Or what about a young competitor or athlete? I pose this question, if Keith is "obsessed" are all athletes who strive for greatness "obsessed"?

this is not a knock on Keith,or any other aspiring pro for that matter, but it seems to me that oftentimes some of these guys get so caught up in the immediate future or short-term goal(to gt a pro card) that they fail to think in a broader manner.
    Maybe it would be a good thing to seat back and ask yourself WHY you need a pro crad and HOW a pro card can possibly benefit your life and the life of those around you. Isnt there anything else that i could put my time and energy into, that would actually make a truly significant change in my life and in the life of others?
    In one sense, I understand and agree with your point. But in another sense, what's the point of ANYBODY turning pro? Or a better way of asking the question: how many pros out there can actually make any kind of significant money off bodybuilding alone? We have Cutler, Heather, Kai, Wolfe, and maybe a few odds and ends like Dexter, Roelly, maybe Brandon Curry. That's probably about it. The rest of them are blowing wads and wads of money to compete in a sport where, realistically, there's no money. My clients often ask if I make money by competing in amateur shows. The answer is: hell no, I PAY tons of money for the "priviledge" of competing in shows, lol.

But in that regard, it's like any other hobby. How many men play golf? And of all those out there who do, how many actually make money playing? Virtually none. Most guys PAY a ton of money to buy the clubs, the clothes, the membership, etc.

The same is true of just about every hobby out there. I agree turning pro can become a silly obsession, IF it starts to run and/or ruin your life in significant ways (like instead of supporting your children, you blow all your money on contest prep; or you KNOWINGLY destroy your health to place a little better.) But outside of those extremes, bodybuilding is like any other hobby-- it serves no real "purpose". It is its OWN purpose-- we do it because we enjoy doing it, end of story.

-lifepulse

lol at this muscle mary
    Quote Originally Posted by villan View Post
    i will delete all posts about me in the pit,i am being bullied and there is no choice left

Quote Originally Posted by kenkbj View Post
    All you guys talking negative should take some notes. Keith has been so close for so long and still has a great attitude, passion, and drive towards his goal! How many of you guys could with stand the amount of disappointment, and critical comments this man has for the last few years. Yet he never loses sight of winning that pro-card. Good luck bruh, and I hope you smash it at Nationals.
    ^^^^^^^
    this!!.x2. It really is disappointing to see all this Bad comments on the BB boards all the Time when i Bet Not even Half of those shitty talkers Have Ever stepped on a stage!!! Keep it Up Keith Great Motivation..
    If Phil Heath Eats Horse Shit I will Too!!!

I like the guy he bust his as and keeps doing his thing with all the runner ups its got to be hard to stay motivated but he does and as dusty said hes consistent as hell. Best of luck Keith!

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    In one sense, I understand and agree with your point. But in another sense, what's the point of ANYBODY turning pro? Or a better way of asking the question: how many pros out there can actually make any kind of significant money off bodybuilding alone? We have Cutler, Heather, Kai, Wolfe, and maybe a few odds and ends like Dexter, Roelly, maybe Brandon Curry. That's probably about it. The rest of them are blowing wads and wads of money to compete in a sport where, realistically, there's no money. My clients often ask if I make money by competing in amateur shows. The answer is: hell no, I PAY tons of money for the "priviledge" of competing in shows, lol.

But in that regard, it's like any other hobby. How many men play golf? And of all those out there who do, how many actually make money playing? Virtually none. Most guys PAY a ton of money to buy the clubs, the clothes, the membership, etc.

The same is true of just about every hobby out there. I agree turning pro can become a silly obsession, IF it starts to run and/or ruin your life in significant ways (like instead of supporting your children, you blow all your money on contest prep; or you KNOWINGLY destroy your health to place a little better.) But outside of those extremes, bodybuilding is like any other hobby-- it serves no real "purpose". It is its OWN purpose-- we do it because we enjoy doing it, end of story.

-lifepulse
    comparing bbing as a hobby to golf as a hobby doesnt hold. you can play golf as a hobby without golf running your entire life,24/7. most people who play golf as a hobby,leave their hobby behind the moment they leave the golf course to get back to their real lives and real jobs.
    maybe i am getting too old,but i find myself thinking more often about WHY we are put on this planet and what purpose we all have in life. are we here just to take space? what are the things that give true meaning to the short stay we have in this world? is isolating ourselves from society for long periods of time every year because we need to eat,train,and sleep on a very strict schedule to win a trophy or a piece of paper that says "IFBB Pro" card what the majority of our life is about?
    now,i am not saying that we should all strive to change the world or be the next president, but there are many things that i feel we overlook and miss out because we get so caught up with what we THINK it s really important.
    i will stop now because in no way i was trying to knock on Keith or any other aspiring bodybuilder, just me thinking out loud
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

comparing bbing as a hobby to golf as a hobby doesnt hold. you can play golf as a hobby without golf running your entire life,24/7. most people who play golf as a hobby,leave their hobby behind the moment they leave the golf course to get back to their real lives and real jobs.
    maybe i am getting too old,but i find myself thinking more often about WHY we are put on this planet and what purpose we all have in life. are we here just to take space? what are the things that give true meaning to the short stay we have in this world? is isolating ourselves from society for long periods of time every year because we need to eat,train,and sleep on a very strict schedule to win a trophy or a piece of paper that says "IFBB Pro" card what the majority of our life is about?
    now,i am not saying that we should all strive to change the world or be the next president, but there are many things that i feel we overlook and miss out because we get so caught up with what we THINK it s really important.
    i will stop now because in no way i was trying to knock on Keith or any other aspiring bodybuilder, just me thinking out loud
    I agree rocky. when I was a kid I could care less about muscles. it was about having fun where ever you are in the moment and bodybuild people can never be satisfied taking years and years of your life just to be able to say I am big for others...bodybuilding is an illusion wanting more illusion.If you think chasing an illusion is your life's purpose you really need self-worth and nothing outside of you is going to give it to you.

Again, in many senses I agree, but still disagree with your overall interpretation. I'm an atheist-- I don't believe there's any "grand purpose to it all". I think the "purpose" of life is TO LIVE. Which basically means, to have a great time. Figure out whatever it is you love doing, and do it. If you are starting to lose your passion for bodybuilding, that's fine, then by all means, you're right, you shouldn't continue to bodybuild! It serves no larger purpose. It's an end in itself. So is golf. So is listening to music. So is dedicating yourself to being a Buddhist Monk. That's ALSO a 24/7 gig that takes a lifetime to master. So does mastering a martial art. So does EVERYTHING, if you want to be great at it. And what's the point? There IS no point, other than to LOVE DOING IT.

I'm a loving father of a beautiful 2-year-old girl, a proud husband of a beautiful wife (who also competes), my degree is in philosophy (did very well in school), I love reading, I love music, and I love training. I just love getting better at LIFE-- at ANY facet of life. The past two years, I've gotten much better at business. I went from making 40K a year to 120K a year, with no guidance, no coaching, and no formal training. I just like IMPROVING myself.

I was a fat kid my whole life, but had the spirit of a champion. I always knew someday I'd have the physique to match. I didn't start lifting until I was 24. I'm now 32. I help others (as a trainer-- like yourself) to get in shape, lead better lives, have more self-esteem, etc. What purpose does my bodybuilding serve? Well, it gives me discipline, drive, and a certain way of thinking about the world. It helps inspire my clients to see what's possible when you apply yourself wholeheartedly. In that regard, a bodybuilder can be inspirational just like a scholar, a political leader, or an inventor. Think about how many kids look up to athletes. Think about the first time you saw Arnold Schwarzenegger as a child-- how did it make you feel? Pretty cool, right?

Again, I somewhat agree with your point: if you are becoming a slave to bodybuilding-- if you are chasing a pro card at the expense of ACTUALLY enjoying life, at the expense of killing everything else that matters to you in the world-- then you're an idiot, and you need to reassess your values. But you really think that because somebody lifts weights four times a week for an hour, and eats a relatively regimented diet, that we're "serving no purpose" and "just taking up space"?

I'm just living out my days, dude, as fully as I know how. If and when bodybuilding is no longer fun, I will gladly and easily walk away and find a new passion. I spent the years of 8-18 doggedly pursuing music, and when it got old, I moved on to philosophy from 18-24, and then bodybuilding. You need to find a passion, it's as simple as that. Don't overcomplicate it. When it looks like Keith is hating his day, well, then, re-post your initial post.

-lifepulse

I don't know Keith personally, but can tell your right now, from a physique standpoint, he doesn't have what it takes to be in the money as a pro.

Keith deserves tons of respect. He is definitely mentally stronger then most of the competitive bodybuilders. He seems like a nice guy.
    Keith, good luck at the Nationals! I hope you make it this time!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSandwich View Post
    I don't know Keith personally, but can tell your right now, from a physique standpoint, he doesn't have what it takes to be in the money as a pro.
    I'll say first that I'm not a huge fan of Keith's physique, but I admire his work ethic and attitude like none other (after Cutler). No one has been knocked down and gotten back up more than this dude. I'm not sure how many IFBB pros there are out there, has to be several hundred in men's bodybuiding, and the VAST, VAST, VAST majority of them will never "place in the money" as a pro-- and even if they do, it's such a paltry sum that it will hardly cover their airfare and hotel. I don't think that's the point. He has a goal, he wants to achieve it, that's it.

-lifepulse

Quote Originally Posted by lifepulse View Post
    Again, in many senses I agree, but still disagree with your overall interpretation. I'm an atheist-- I don't believe there's any "grand purpose to it all". I think the "purpose" of life is TO LIVE. Which basically means, to have a great time. Figure out whatever it is you love doing, and do it. If you are starting to lose your passion for bodybuilding, that's fine, then by all means, you're right, you shouldn't continue to bodybuild! It serves no larger purpose. It's an end in itself. So is golf. So is listening to music. So is dedicating yourself to being a Buddhist Monk. That's ALSO a 24/7 gig that takes a lifetime to master. So does mastering a martial art. So does EVERYTHING, if you want to be great at it. And what's the point? There IS no point, other than to LOVE DOING IT.

I'm a loving father of a beautiful 2-year-old girl, a proud husband of a beautiful wife (who also competes), my degree is in philosophy (did very well in school), I love reading, I love music, and I love training. I just love getting better at LIFE-- at ANY facet of life. The past two years, I've gotten much better at business. I went from making 40K a year to 120K a year, with no guidance, no coaching, and no formal training. I just like IMPROVING myself.

I was a fat kid my whole life, but had the spirit of a champion. I always knew someday I'd have the physique to match. I didn't start lifting until I was 24. I'm now 32. I help others (as a trainer-- like yourself) to get in shape, lead better lives, have more self-esteem, etc. What purpose does my bodybuilding serve? Well, it gives me discipline, drive, and a certain way of thinking about the world. It helps inspire my clients to see what's possible when you apply yourself wholeheartedly. In that regard, a bodybuilder can be inspirational just like a scholar, a political leader, or an inventor. Think about how many kids look up to athletes. Think about the first time you saw Arnold Schwarzenegger as a child-- how did it make you feel? Pretty cool, right?

Again, I somewhat agree with your point: if you are becoming a slave to bodybuilding-- if you are chasing a pro card at the expense of ACTUALLY enjoying life, at the expense of killing everything else that matters to you in the world-- then you're an idiot, and you need to reassess your values. But you really think that because somebody lifts weights four times a week for an hour, and eats a relatively regimented diet, that we're "serving no purpose" and "just taking up space"?

I'm just living out my days, dude, as fully as I know how. If and when bodybuilding is no longer fun, I will gladly and easily walk away and find a new passion. I spent the years of 8-18 doggedly pursuing music, and when it got old, I moved on to philosophy from 18-24, and then bodybuilding. You need to find a passion, it's as simple as that. Don't overcomplicate it. When it looks like Keith is hating his day, well, then, re-post your initial post.

-lifepulse
    i still love bodybuilding, in the sense that i find great pride and satisfaction in helping others achieve their goals,more so than just trying to put on as much muscle as possible for the purpose of just doing that. bbers are NEVER satisfied,and their passion/obsession takes a lot of precious life moments away. i like to spend 4 hours a week on my body,sometimes less,and if there is something else going on for that day that can further enrich my life either mentally,emotionally,or financially, i have no problem skipping a meal or two,or getting less sleep,or not going to the gym to train.
    i can never understand gys like Sean Allen, Keith Williams,and other guys who chase that elusive pro carrd year after year as if their lives depended on it when it doesnt. What are the benefits of keep chasing that card year after year when it comes down to it?
    again please,this is not a knock on Keith, or Sean,or any other pro or soon-to-be pro bber out there. just wondering if i was alone in the realization of some of these points i just made.
    By the way, i dont think we were put on earth to just breath and take space,i think we all have a purpose and it s up to us to realize what that purpose is
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast