Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cardio and Leg Size

Default Cardio and Leg Size

What are your guys' thoughts and experiences with outdoor jogging, sprinting intervals, uphill cardio and high intensity cardio?
    I've heard a lot of stories about how jogging from extended periods of time can cause your legs to shrink, but what about high intensity cardio?

I ask because I want a way to keep my cardiovascular conditioning steady in the off-season and have recently thought doing some high intensity cardio outdoors a few times a week, but I don't want my legs to shrink. What i'm talking about being mostly comprised of jogging uphill, downhill, stairs, even surfaces, sprinting up steep inclines and a steady walk every now and again to catch my breath for 20-30 minutes tops.
    Last edited by HangingLegRaise; November 19th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik133 View Post

This is bodyBUILDING, not getting a bag of shit into condition building.

Do some research online. There is plenty out there. Pretty much no, light jogging a few times a week for under 3 miles at a time will not decrease your leg size. Sprinting will probably increase your leg size but may dcrease strength slightly. It's worth it to run/jog imo.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Do some research online. There is plenty out there. Pretty much no, light jogging a few times a week for under 3 miles at a time will not decrease your leg size. Sprinting will probably increase your leg size but may dcrease strength slightly. It's worth it to run/jog imo.
    I've always thought there must be some correlation behind having a history in interval sprinting and an increase in leg size; look at all the high school football players with tree trunk thighs in the NPC and IFBB...
    Not to mention Ben Pakulski, who's a HUGE promoter of high intensity cardio.

JP_RC

How can you increase in size and at the same time decrease in strength?
    Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Powerlifters train for strength, right? If they were to train for bodybuilding they would probably lose strength while increasing size. Just one example that I think everyone can understand.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

JP_RC

I get your point now. Its just that the only way I've ever increased in size was when I got stronger and most people i've seen experience the same. So, it confused me a little to think how one could get weaker but bigger, but I now understand what you meant with the powerlifter example.

Quote Originally Posted by JP_RC View Post
    I get your point now. Its just that the only way I've ever increased in size was when I got stronger and most people i've seen experience the same. So, it confused me a little to think how one could get weaker but bigger, but I now understand what you meant with the powerlifter example.
    Size and strength aren't perfectly correlated.
    A 10% increase in muscle size does not equal a 10% increase in muscle strength.

HIT cardio or sprinting will definitely build the muscle. Running a lot will lean you out but if your diet is dialed in you won't lose a lot of muscle. Bodybuilder ideas on cardio are a joke.
    I know a few guys who do like an hour on the stepmill daily to get shredded, if your diet and workout were dialed in right you wouldn't have to do a quarter of that. Also, sprinting or running a mile or so a couple days a week will not waste muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by HangingLegRaise View Post
    I've always thought there must be some correlation behind having a history in interval sprinting and an increase in leg size; look at all the high school football players with tree trunk thighs in the NPC and IFBB...
    Not to mention Ben Pakulski, who's a HUGE promoter of high intensity cardio.
    ben pakulski's idea of high intensity cardio is probably the equivalent of jogging for the average human. he's way to big to do any type of legitimate sprinting

Quote Originally Posted by notram218 View Post
    ben pakulski's idea of high intensity cardio is probably the equivalent of jogging for the average human. he's way to big to do any type of legitimate sprinting
    Just because he's big fuck doesn't mean he can't do some high intensity cardio (i don't know if he can or not).
    For example, Levrone was pretty huge when he raced John Chambers, and he actually ran pretty damn fast.
    Point is, if they have it genetically/etc. then size shouldn't have "that" much impact on a bodybuilder's athletic ability. (take Winklaar's backflip at 250+ for example)...
    Everything I post is for entertainment purposes only, and nothing is to be taken seriously

Eat enough and you will be fine ffs.

Running marathons might not be a good idea. But train legs heavy and eat still and your fine...