Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 1987 NPC Middleweight Champion-The Vince Comerford Interview

Default 1987 NPC Middleweight Champion-The Vince Comerford Interview

SR: You seemed to be the "Next big thing back in 1987" when you won the NPC Nationals Middleweight Title and your IFBB Pro Card but then it seemed as quickly as you arrived, you disappeared? What happend, where'd you go? You were last seen placing 3rd at the 1st ever Pro Ironman Championships in 1990 then getting swept off the Backstage tarmack of the Mr. Olympia in Chicago? Please fill in the gaps for us here?

VC:
    After winning the NPC Nationals Middleweight Title and awarded my IFBB Pro Card I began training for my pro debut which in fact was The 1988 Night of Champions in NYC. I immediately returned to the gym where I embraced my "severe" way of training and my "simple" way of life. To put bluntly; Every rep; Every set; Every exercise; Every workout was embraced with "Intensity","Emotion", and "Passion"!
    Every workout I was pushing the "envelope", breaking new ground in achieving new and impressive muscular developement. After all, what are "Limits" unless they are broken? As you can see, I'm a firm believer in the "Trainining" aspect in building an impressive yet extremely symetrical physique! By the "simple" way of life I mean, I lived humbly in a studio apartment across the street from the gym. No TV, no distractions or diversions, I kept it extremely simple and immaculately clean. One could say I lived as a "monk". My nutrition was solid and simple. Every meal was balanced, recorded ( as was my training sessions ), and scheduled perfectly throughout the day. I negotiated nothing. As one can see, I lived "simply", allowing me to train "severely", and over the edge__daily!
    Unfortunately, I tore my left latisimus dorsi which eliminated me from competition. This devastated me.
    I remained a recluse ( obviously void of any friends and/or family, that was one of my many sacrfices as an IFBB Pro Bodybuilder ), embraced healing my injury, overcoming severe depression and doubt daily,and very soon after entered the gym again.
    In 1989, stepped on stage at the USA Professional Bodybuilding Championships ( my pro debut ) and placed 2nd. One week later, stepped on stage at the Night of Champions and placed 3rd. Injured myself again ( tore my right hamstring ) preventing me from stepping on stage at The 1989 Mr.Olmpia held in Rimini, Italy. With great desire,again, overcame severe disappointment, pain of injury and emotion, healing my injury and wasted no time in placing my physique on stage in the first annual Ironman Pro Invitational where I fought " tooth & nail " for my 3rd. place finish. In which qualified me for the 1990 Mr.Olympia held in Chicago.

I opted not to compete in The Arnold Classic and placed my complete and unwavering attention on my first Mr.Olympia! I trained with an "Intensity", with a "Desire" & "Committment" that was well beyond my understanding! In my heart and in my mind, to achieve the "god_like" developement and design of a Mr.Olympia, I had to go well beyond just sets; reps; solid meals; rest; recouperation; solid supplimentation; and preperation. I had to place myself in a state of severe desperation fueled by unbelievable passion daily. For you see Shawn, The Mr.Olympia stage was "The End of the World" for me and I prepared for my Olympia debut in this way_"Daily"!! Upon arriving in Chicago at the 1990 Mr.Olympia, all the competitors had to submitt to a Urine Test, in which the Urine samples then were examined to see if steriods were in any of the competitors urine. If steriods were found in any competitors urine, we would be eliminated from the competition and then placed on suspension.
    I was not notified in my room prior to competition ( later I was informed that 3 other competitors failed and were notified in their rooms ), as was the incredible Mohammad "MoMo" Benizzezza not informed as I wasn't.
    Just prior to stepping on stage at The Greatest Professional Bodybuilding show on earth, the stage where "Kings"of our sport stand, I was swept off the tarmac with MoMo and then informed I failed the drug test!! I believe MoMo caught the next flight out to Europe ( for the Euoropean Championships ) and I retreated back to my hotel room where I entered into a "soulish" place in which I refer to as, "The Abyss of my Human Heart"! At that moment, I truly and sincerely experienced "agony", deep "dispair", and "emptiness"! I felt the humiliation of being "tagged" a criminal, a failure for having failed the drug test. I did not look upon any of the other competitors, I did not wave a flag screaming "Unfair, Unfair", nor did I accuse or complain. I kept my mouth shut, and took it like a Man.
    There are still no words that describe the sorrow and pain I went through at that time in my life. My emotions drove me deep into an endless hole of depression. Bitterness and anger inhabited my "heart". I was angry, I was hurt, and I was beside myself!! I no longer could see beyond my pain.
    For the record, the results of my urine test revealed that my "epitestosterone" was too high. A very dabatable call.

SR: After making the decision to join the WBF and Vince McMahon's federation, how did your perspective for why y ou were bodybuuilding change? Did you still feel the desire to be the World's Best when his federation could never provide that based on the competitiors and the way it was run?

VC: The WBF opportunity was presented to me immediately following my discouraging and extremely depressing experience at the 1990 Mr.Olympia. Within a matter of days after the devestation and the humiliation of the Mr.Olympia, I received a phone call from bodybuilding great Tom Platz wanting to meet with me asap. I was honored that wanted to me with me for I've held in high regard as incredible bodybuilding great. Tom met me here in Phoenix AZ. along with a representative of Vince McMahon to discuss a new sanction for Pro Bodybuilding, called the World Bodybuilding Federation ( WBF ). I didn't know a thing about this WBF so I listened. Respecting Tom and his word, I became more interested in what the WBF planned to do, so I invited more dialogue. Travel arrangements were made to fly up to WWF headquaters to meet with Vince McMahon, Vince's wife Linda, and course Tom Platz. I was there by myself. I had no manager, lawyer, and/or business experience in these matters. I was offered a contract for $125,000.00/ yr. for 2 yrs. Plus a signing bonus of $10,000.00. I signed immediately, void of thought and/or concern for my bodybuilding future ( An Enormous Mistake both Professional and Personal )( Thak God for IFBB Redempion ). Shawn, at the time of signing I was in deep despair and torment. I was broke, hungry, young in age and very immature at that moment. I was at odds with the world. I was extremely angry, bitter, and hurt at my experience at the 1990 Mr.Olympia. The embarrassment and shame I felt, due to my DQ (upon failing the drug test) .
    I truly believed that the WBF was the vehicle guiding me back into the sport I loved with all my heart and devoted my life to in addition to getting payed well for the fruits of my labor. With no hesitation I signed. Literally, upon signing I felt my "life force" leaving me. Immediately an "eerie", "dark" presence surrounded me. I sold my soul. I put a price tag on something ( my sacred bodybuilding ) that was priceless! At that moment I knew I made a grave mistake! As the WBF unfolded, It was void competition, replaced by a "spectacle", a "circus" of professional bodybuilders dress up as "clowns"! I was ashamed, and felt disgraced! I became a pawn to be displayed as a "puppet to the money" stripping me of my dignity as a true Professional Bodybuilder. The WBF exploited my hard work and dedication to the "sport" of professional bodybuilding. Make no mistake, I fulfilled my contractual obligations to Vince McMahon and his WBF. The money was great. It allowed me to pay many debts, including many debts of my many "so called" friends ( in a short time these "friends" were no to be found when my world came crashing down. A "life lesson" hopefully not to be learned by all ). Just as quick as the money came in, it went out. I was truly a "fool" painfully suffering from his "folly"! I "sold out" and trust me, I paid the price!
    When our WBF contracts were up, most of my Co - WBF athletes decided to go back to the IFBB. The IFBB kindly reinstated them allowing them to compete again. I opted not to return to the IFBB. The reason being; "If God ( the answer to my prayers )strengthend me and afforded me the opportunity to step on the IFBB stage again, I didn't want to do it waving a banner over my head as a "Vince McMahon, WBF reject". I don't blame Vince McMahon for creating the WBF. I place all "blame" completely upon the only Vince I'm held accountable to, myself, Vince Comerford. I blame myself for making such a horribly STUPID decision to sign that WBF contract!! Again, thank God for IFBB redemption!
    As for myself, returning to the IFBB stage, I want to do it the right way. I didn't want to return begging, disgraced, and with embarrassment. I needed to prove to myself ( through hard work, committment, devotion,discipline, determination, self- sacrifice, and beyond understanding PASSION ) to the IFBB "elite" that I was worthy to step on that stage, which I always held as "sacred"! Unfortunately, this great stage has eluded me due to physical injuries and personal disappointments ( not with others, but within myself ). Until this day, graciously and humbly, I must say; " I am a work in progress ". Not just physically, but in every aspect of the human condition.
    Today, I'm constantly building and improving not just my physique ( my exterior shell ) but every aspect of my human condition, especially my health. The "platform" I now step upon, is not the Bodybuilding "platform" but the "platform" of life! OK, OK Shawn. Now back to my first love, bodybuiding.

SR: You spoke about how awesome and overwhelming it was that you were actually a "Pro" to the point of throwing up before competing and Guest Posings. You said you were nervous and just overwehelmed emotionally to the point of an eating disorder, please elaborate...............?

VC:Shawn, in regards to bodybuilding I made a deep vow, a deep committment onto myself that each and everytime I was to present myself, my "body of work" on a bodbuilding platform, whether it be for competition or otherwise ( ie., guest posings ) I was stepping on the stage of "judgement"! No matter how severe or slight the venu was, it was always serious business to me. My deep desire to be impressive was only overshadowed by my overwhelming need to overcome my insecurities deep within my soul.The main insecurity being, " Am I truly worthy and capable of being an honest to God, impressive IFBB Pro Bodybuilder". And the proof of that deep rooted guestion could only be answered on the stage itself! I was an "infant" in our sport. I was never not in a constant state of proving myself. My severe and constant struggle over my deep rooted insecurities manifested itself, collecting all my emotions and nerves pouring it into one place, my stomach! The "calm" before the "storm" was that "moment" prior to stepping on each and every stage. This painful purging became habitual throughout my brief but incredible career as a Professional Bodybuilder. This eating disorder subsided after my Pro career ended. I originally became victim to this violent act of purging/ vomiting at the age of 15. While Standing there bedside, in the hospital, watching painfully and hopelessly as my mother horribly suffered until her last breath on earth! The moment of her death, an "excrutiating pain" entered my body, immediately causing me to vomit violently for what seemed to be an eternity. Traumatic, to say the least. This "merciless beast" of violent purging/ vomiting paid another visit to me the moment my Dad breathed his last breath on earth after horribly and painfully losing his life to Cancer. His heroic fight revealed his tremendous faith, hope, and tender love in Christ and his "beloved" five children. But the reality of his pain and suffering violently tore through me, ripping a "black" hole through my soul!
    Privately, and without notice to my siblings, I violently vomited for days. Therefore, it is safe to say that being an IFBB Professional Bodybuilder was truly embraced with severe seriousness and yet extreme appreciation. Especially each tme I stepped on stage.

SR: Few people truly appreciate the work and the sacrafice Pro's make to g et onstage to entertain and perform. Share with me some of the things asyou had to go through to simply keepl it all together. At what price to your family and friends?

VC: Correctly put Shawn, Very Few people truly can appreciate the "hard" work and "incredible" sacrifice(s) Pro's make to get on stage to perform and entertain. Unlike you Shawn, my career was quite brief but nevertheless very rewarding. We chose a life of dicipline, self sacrifice, and self denial. These are just integeral constants in our equation of success as a Pro. I therefore chose an "isolated" life. distancing myself from family ( Who all lived back east. ie., Buffalo NY and surrounding area ). And friends? By choice, I had no close, dependable friends. My committment to my Profession was really my only "love". I called it "self involved". Truthfully, without a solid & healthy balance of friends and family, the aspiring IFBB Professional Bodybuilder is destined for a very brief, short lived, unfulfilled caereer. Keeping it all together ment immersing myself deeper & deeper into my training, my diet, my posing. Deeper & deeper into what many would consider uhealthy isolation. Constantly, working hard at my "Craft", my "Artform", my "Body of Work". The gym(s) ( whether in my gym, or other gyms all over the world ) was my "sancturary", my "Work place", my "sacred space". My living space was my place of healing, peace, and welcomed solitude. As one can see, my "social skills" were under developed. Shawn, make no mistake, many a wonderful people came and went during that period in my life. I was just to self absorbed, immature, and blind to see. Truthfuly, I didn't know any other way of life, and at that time I didn't care. Now, looking back, I do have much regret. As they say: "Hind sight is best sight." Shawn, history does have a way of repeating itself. And God being a very "Good God," has a very powerful and mysterious way of bringing loved ones back into one's life. Back in my younth, I was horribly selfish, severely immature, and often times shamefully cruel! I just did not know how to Love. I just didn't have the capability.

SR: LEaving Buffalo to Arizona for school, looking back was that the right thing to do while pursuing a careeer in bodybilding or do you think you woul dhave had a better foundation had you stayed closer to home?

VC: No, it was time to leave Buffalo N.Y. I came to Arizona to enter Arizona State University's School of Architecture Design and Engineering. Upon graduating from SUNY Ag.&Tech.@ Delhi with high honors. I applied and was accepted into ASU's School of Architecture, affording me a scholastic scholarship. But to make it a "full ride" scholarship I needed to establish residency for one year. That ment no school, just work. Prior to leaving Buffalo N.Y., I had just competed in my first bodybuilding show. I placed 2nd in the open class and overall. I was bit by the "bodybuilding bug"! Upon arriving in Tempe Az. I established residency by embracing the " Competitive" aspect of the "bodybuilding lifestyle". Meaning, I worked at "Hard Core" gym(s), racking and re-racking weights, scrubbed floors, mats, cleaned toilets all day long! This afforded me my gym membership(s) & opened up the door to my own bodybuilding training. I also bounced 6 out of 7 nights a week. Within that year I entered my 1st Mr.America Contest and placed 9th. Discouraged but more determined, I took another year off from my education. I dedicated myself completely to bodybuilding. Stepped on stage and won my 1st. Mr.USA title. I then took another year off of my education. Devoted that year to completely to bodybuilding. Stepped on stage and won my 1st. Mr.America title ( all accomplished by the ripe "young age" of 23yrs. ). At that moment I made a critical decision to change sanctions from the AAU to the NPC.I had to qualify for the NPC American National Championships where one will be awarded his IFBB Pro card upon winning his weight class. This is where all the action is. The competition is severly talented and this bodybuilding "Platform" of "Judgement" will break your heart, and crush your dreams mercilessly. Only one man per class will gain the Priviledge of becoming an IFBB Professional Bodybuilder. It doesn't get much more serious than that! to gualify, I stepped on stage at one of the toughest shows in the state of California. I was fortunate to win my weigt class ( Lt.Hvy.) and the overall title. Upon stepping off stage, suddenly I came "face to face" with you Shawn Ray. All you said to me was; "Middleweight class for the Nationals"? I responded; "Absolutely"! You then replied: "Good". I'll see you at the Nationals." From that moment upon meeting you, I trained so "Hard", with "UnGodly Intensity", "Over the Edge" as if each and every work out as it was a matter of "Life and/or Death". I entered the gym every day with severe emotion, passion, desire, and "Want"; that "passing out" and "vomitting" after every leg workout was protocol. Pain was a daily thing! In my heart, and in my mind I knew I would never come back this way again! This unbridled determination, drive and desire delivered me onto the 1987 American National Bodybuilding Championships stage. I won the "Middleweight Class". Achieved and was awarded my IFBB Pro Card! I then placed 2nd. only to you Mr.Shawn Ray ( Seriously, It's was always my "honor" and "privilidge" to stand on stage with you Shawn, A True Bodybuilding Legend ). Thus making my "statement" to the entire Bodybuilding Community ( World Wide ) and more importantly to "Myself", That at that "moment" I had EARNED the RIGHT to be called an IFBB Professional BodyBuilder!! Sincerely, at that moment I could have retired at ripe "Old Age" of 25! And gone on to live a life "fulfilled"!! I was a "True Champion", I was a "Successful Man"

SR: Of course every Rose has its Thorns and I know you experienced some of the Pitfalls this sport has, care to share some words of caution since you've been down a familiar road others have before you? What is the Dark Side of being a Pro Bodybuilder?

VC:
    Shawn, I believe I adressed the first part of this question earlier in our interview. "Pitfalls" being possible career ending injuries. Examples being: #1.Torn hamstring(s). #2. Complete tearing of all facia tissue covering the complete left side of my back. #3. Torn left latissimus dosi and #4. Torn rotator cuff. Unless these injuries are embraced, healed and/or reconnected immediately, you run the risk of nurturing, a possible career ending physical deformity. After all we are in a sport that promotes the pursuit of the possible perfection of the Human Physique. In other words; "Flawlessness"!! The incredibleness of an IFBB Pro Bodybuilder is that we just don't rehabilitate and completely heal these severe injuries, we go a step furthure. We do such a remarkable job, that we make it look like it never happened in the first place!! No other sport on earth can compare!!
    Here's the other side of that coin; By not embracing these above mentioned (or similar) circumstances immediately, one most definetly runs the horrible risk of inviting "severe" depression, isolation and sadly, often times complete abondandment into "Career Ending" hopeless despair! Tragically, filling this "void" with life ending narcotics and/or alcohol.
    I mentioned earlier Shawn, in our interview, the name Mohammad "MoMo" Benizzezza. An IFBB Pro Bodybuilding great. At the incredible height of only 5'1", competition weight of approx. 185lbs. _ 190lbs. of "pure", "peeled", "hard earned" muscle. Graced and conquered much of the IFBB Pro Bodybuilding stage in the early to mid 1990's. Completely immersed in the pursuit of Professional Bodybuiding perfection and his unwaivering committment to compete and Champion many an IFBB Professional Title(s), was tragically found dead and alone in his hotel room moments before he was to go on stage at a major IFBB Professional Championship! He dehydrated himself so severely, that his heart "seized up". To put it bluntly, he suffered a very "VIOLENT",
    SLOW", and "PAINFULL" death. Clinical cause of death, "Sudden Death Heart Failure"! And make matters worse, He Suffered and Died Alone! Shawn, please forgive me for I must stop right here for now. I personally knew MoMo as a Great Champion but better yet as incredibly fine human being and dear friend.
    Shawn, now it is time to explain and reveal the Dark Side of being a Pro Bodybuilder. As far as my personal life outside the "gym", well let's put it this way; my "Partying" exploits were nothing short of "Legend". When not in the "Gym" preparing for my next competition and/or appearance, I could be found at any "Club" on any given night partying literally like a "Rock Star"! Sex, Drugs and Alchohol from "Sun up" to "Sun Down" was very "Exciting" and very "Seductive" to this young, immature, and extremely foolish "Professional Bodybuilder". What originally started off as just my "Partying" soon became my "Pain". After my "Ugly" experience at the 1990 Olympia and my "Stupid" signing with the WBF I fell so deep into depression and despair that I embraced my "Partying" ways more severely. One night of "Partying" quickly turned into 1, 2, 3, 4, and even 5days and nights of "PARTYING" in a row, with out sleep. Until I met my extremely "PAINFUL END"!! July 9th.1993, I "Tragically, and "Shamefully", "OVERDOSED" on Cocain! I refer to it as my "5Days of Night"! Trust me when I tell you, Their is NO PAIN on this Earth that can compare to the PAIN of DEATH!! I should know, I FLATLINED just moments before the paramedics arrived and "JOLTED" me back to life! A close friend of mine was contacted and she immediately, brought me immediately to very "Hardcore" detox and rehab facility. Where I "White Knuckled" it for 30days. I Then embraced "Out Patient" rehab of 365meetings in 365days. I celebrated my 1yr.anniversary of sobriety and never looked backed. "My Higher Power" from that moment on has been and forever will be my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ of Nazareth! During my 30days of "Pain" in detox, laying there on my cott, The Holy Spirit of God fell upon me, "bathed" me in His Love, at that very moment I was "Saved", I was "Born Again"!! I moved back to Buffalo N.Y. to be with my dad and family ( I have an awesome family ). Shawn, even in the "Blackest" time(s) of my life, all I ever had to do was to call my dad, and his answer always was; " Vincent, my son, come home ' NOW ', and if you can't, I'll come and get you, no matter where your're at " !! That Shawn, is a Father's unconditional "Fierce", and yet "Tender" Love for his son! Forgive me Shawn, I must stop here for now. Readers, listen up; " There is Nothing 'romantic' and/or 'exciting' about the Dark Side of anything." From this man's heart, and through this man's eyes, The Bodybuilding Lifestyle has no Dark Side, Vince Comerford did.

SR: At your best, how confident were you as a person? Bodybuilding has many different affects on people and building Confidence and Disipline rank pretty high on the list, is that true for you?

VC: Simply put, at my best, my confidence as a person was never in question. It was strong and reliable. "Self Confidence"; Is an incredible "treasure" which can not be measured by dollars and cents, gold or silver, rubies or diamonds but it's value is measured and deposited in a "vault" found in a place called The Human Person and is recorded in the catagory of "Quality of Character". Among these other virtuous Qualities, Self Confidence ranks among the Highest. It is truly an honor and virtue one gives on to oneself. In other words, Confidence is earned, exercised, it can not be pursued but it is definitely bestowed upon you after encountering, enduring, and eventually overcoming much "trials" and "tribulation". Choosing and embracing the "lifestyle" of a competitive bodybuilder, truthfully did prepare me for much of my life's "trials" & "tribulations". This Discipline I achieved instilled in me the Confidence to "know" that I do have what it takes to endure and overcome severe, and critical physical, mental, and emotional "PAIN". Self Confidence walks "hand & hand" with Courage. The Severe Discipline I developed through, in and for my life as a World Class Amatuer/ Professional Bodybuilding Champion gave me the "vehicle" to never question the strength of my "Will" but to embrace the "Courage" that enables me to stand and step into the "Confidence" needed to triumph over a many tormentive trials in my life! OK., "Let me put it to you crudely and bluntly; I am one Tough F...!!" Trust me, I've earned it! Shawn, it is safe to say that Confidence and Discipline are of the "Highest Order" in this man's life. Perhaps the "Highest Virtue(s)" being Humility and Compassion!

SR: Your 50 years old now and learnd alot about Fame, Travel and Adulation from your adoring Fans, what word of wisdom would you share with a young hungry Bodybuilder coming into the sport today that wants it all?

VC:
    Shawn; The Fame, Travel, and Adulation you speak of did not happen upon me because that was my "Reason", and/or "Purpose" to Bodybuild. No Way!! The Fame, Travel, and Adulation was the result of my disciplined, passion filled, undying drive & desire, to become The Best Amatuer Middleweight in this country and the world. In 1987 I was awarded that Title and Priviledge!! Resulting in being "stamped" and "sealed" as a Priviledged, Professional member of the Prestigious International Federation of Body Building!! Thus, resulting in Fame, World Travel, Appluase & Adulation by friends, family, and fans alike.This "success" was hard fought, I earned it "Daily"! Now, a word of wisdom to all you young and hungry Bodybuilders coming into the ( our ) sport today; "You may want it all but are you willing to pay the price of sacfice, suffering, self denial, extreme criticism ( discerning which is sincerely "constructive" and/or sincerely designed to be damaging )?? Do you have the maturity and courage to design and develope a beyond belief regimented training/workout program that sincerely and authentically your own? A progam lined and enveloped with such "Intensity & Risk" that without a shadow of a doubt your willing to "completely" abandon & empty youself into daily?? Knowing that you trained many a day in such "Pain" that exhaustion, fainting, and vomiting was nothing but a "welcomed relief"?? Embracing a "diet" that is less than friendly, where your body cries out for "sugar" but you embrace a "champions" discipline rewarding these violent craving(s) with unsalted can(s) of tuna fish, egg whites, boiled chicken/ turkey, lightly seasoned "greens", long awaited plain oatmeal ( of course, carefully measured ) and then joyfully washing it all down with at one half gallon of Mt.Spring water.? And this is only the beginning. Make a mental note my young, hungry friends and tattoo this onto your hearts; "Nobody promises you anything! This is the life you choose! Who and What you are ( an IFBB Professional Bodybuilder; maybe? ) is a direct result not just of What you do, When you choose to do it, Where you choose to do it, but HOW you choose to do it!! Now, you must know the "reason" WHY you choose to do this! Pay close attention, I'm about to make it easy on you brother. Now you have decided to become an IFBB Pro Bodybuilder. You have placed ( but in reality, misplaced ) your "eyes", your "focus", your "want" on The Fame, The Travel, and The Adulation of all your adoring fans. And you've recognciled all this to yourself, by convincing yourself that by opening up a few popular bodybuilding magazines, listening to and viewing some online bodybuilding websites and reviewing some "underground", "updated" bodybuilding "supplementation" pamphlets. Now Analyzing & somewhat Applying their assumed training routines / diets / & "special" supplementation to your routine, thus making it your own. You are now convinced that it's only a matter of time until others will be reading and hearing of your "bodybuilding" success!! If you think like that, give up your dream( your fantasy ) of becoming an IFBB Bodybuilding Champion and go play "PutPut"! In all seriousness and fairness, the "reality", on becoming an IFBB Professional Bodybuilder, you best be prepared to "die daily",
    committing and devoting yourself to a life of self-denial, of self sacrifice, of suffering, humility, discipline, appreciation, self approval, constant learning, constant constructive criticism, unbridaled passion and desire, and hold on with all your heart, your mind, and your strength to The WHY you are doing this!! You are doing this because are doing something exceptional. You creating the opportunity to put your "Body of Work", Your "beyond understanding", "mind blowing", Muscularly Developed Physique on the most "prestigious" and most "brutal" bodybuilding platforms on the face of the earth to be JUDGED and COMPARED with the best built men on the face of this earth!! If The Heavens opened and God smiled upon you that day, and The IFBB awarded you, your IFBB Pro Card. Please receive it with Humility, Honor, Respect, and above all: Responsibility!! To sum it up; Prepare to Compete, Prepare to be Judged, and then....!? If you achieve Professional status; "Walk on the ground of appreciation and receive your well earned Fame, Travel, and Adulation with Humility, Repect, and most of all Responsibility!! Please, do not make the mistakes I made in my young career! The biggest mistake being my inability to embrace the most important aspect and honor of an IFBB Professional Bodybuilder. That honor is that you are perhaps among The Most Influential ROLE MODEL(s) on the earth today! For it was only just "yesterday" that a 17yr.old, 5'3.5", 125lb young boy from a hard working, Irish Catholic family of five, from the southside of Buffalo N.Y. picked up his first "Muscle Builder"magazine. Opened it up and "Dared to Dream"! I believe that Boy who became a humble, yet confident Man is me!!!! Shawn, perhaps nothing was more rewarding yet humbling then the moment I saw myself on the cover of the first issue of Muscular Developement magazine ( new sponsor: "Twinlab"., Mr. Steve Blackman: owner/ editor and chief ). Through the Grace of God, I went on to enjoy an over abundance of publicity world wide. Truthfully, Dreams do come true, you only have to believe. But be prepared, for This Path is Hard and many times Unforgiving. But the Reward is oh so Sweet!

SR: You contemplated a "Comeback" to compete in the Masters Mr. Olympia in 2004 however you suffered a near fatal Heart Attack. Set it up and take us through this experience with you...

VC: From 1994 to 2004 I embraced my sobriety, entered into an incredible spiritual, loving relationship with my Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus of Nazareth, all the while woking hard on my personal health and well being! In 1997 I returned to Phoenix to work with a close and dear friend of mine in her office as a physical therapist. I then began to gradually enter into the "gym" again, working carefully and "masterfully" on my "body of work", my physique. I believe it was Leonardo DiVinci who wrote: "There is no work left unfinished, just abandoned for a while"!! How true a scenerio of this man's life! Suddenly, in the early 2000's The IFBB opened up a new division in the Pro ranks, "Mr.Olympia, Masters division ( over 40 )". There it was, my opportunity to step on The Mr.Olympia stage, the stage that has eluded me since 1990. It was 2004, I'm in my early 40's, my physique was a healthy ( so I thought ), extremely "hard" 170lbs.@ approx. 6.5% body fat.@ 5'3.5". In my heart and in my mind, I was convinced that this would be my time to "Redeem" myself as a true and respected IFBB Professional Bodybuilder! I began my contest preparation 25 weeks out. I immediately went on an overwhelming "aresenal" of anabolic steriods, embraced my "over the edge" approach of contest preparation, that I had developed many years earlier, when I was a "pup" in our sport ( Tragic & Fatal Mistake ). 6weeks into my training, my bodyweight "sky rocketed" to 205+lbs of very impressive, mature muscle. Little did I realize that my "anatomical" heart was so "Severely" damaged and "Elarged" from my Narcatic & Steriod Abuse so many years ago that my sudden "jump" in bodyweight was such a "shock" to my body that it placed my heart in a severely "Traumatic" situation. Upon entering my apartment ( follwing a great leg workout, meaning I could barely walk ), an "extremely violent" pain shot through my body, as if somebody or something was "ripping/ tearing" a gapping hole through the center of body & my brain! I felt "paralized/ frozen" and everything went "Black"! Suddenly, I was on the floor crawling to my phone. The PAIN was so BAD that I barely could open my mouth to "Cry Out" for help! I felt my entire body severely "Seizing/ Cramping" up!! Suddenly I felt the "Overwhelming Presence" of FEAR and TERROR GRIP ME!! I was DEAD! At that moment, I "CRYED OUT" in this terrifying DARKNESS, saying, "MY LORD, MY JESUS_ SAVE ME"!!! Suddenly my eyes opened and EVERYTHING was BRIGHT!! I felt the PRESENCE of SOMEONE and/or SOMETHING COMING NEARER to ME. I BARELY OPENED my MOUTH saying: "AM I in HEAVEN?? NO, a VOICE REPLIED., YOU ARE in INTENSIVE CARE at SCOTTSDALE HEALHCARE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL! YOU HAVE JUST SUFFERED ""SUDDEN DEATH HEART FAILURE""!!!" I then fell into a deep sleep.
    { Shawn, I still, to this day do not know how I just didn't die right there on my entrance floor }.
    Several days later, I woke up, extremely Weak & Frail. I pulled all the tubing out of my arms and legs. crawled ( in reality fell out ) of bed. Painfully crawled to a mirror, forced my entire body to stand. what I WITNESSED in the MIRROR was so HORRIFYING & DISTURBING that I CALLAPSED to the FLOOR! I LOOKED UP TO HEAVEN, CRYING OUT TO GOD saying: "LORD PLEASE KILL ME NOW, I CAN'T BARE LIVING ANYMORE"!!! Unfortunately, yet Fortunately, The Lord did not answer my heart felt prayer! What I saw in the mirror was "unrecognizeable". Shawn, please, I can't continue right now. [ A special note: I was to receive a complete "Heart Transplant" But I chose, through much prayer, not to recieve one. For the next one in line for a new heart was that of an "overweight/ oversized" youth. Through the Grace and Power of my Christ Jesus of Nazareth, I've been the "strength" to overcome much ].

The "DAMAGE" done was: #1. I had fractured my jaw, broke 5 of my front teeth and lost 3 others when hitting the ground upon entering my condo after my leg workout ( Remember in the movie starring Will Smith, "7 Pounds", when the young woman walking up the "walk way" suddenly just collapsed ( "dead dropped" ) to the ground? My expierence was similiar, except I wasn't fortunate enough to remain unconscious ). #2. My body weight severely dropped to 145_150lbs. #3. My head was shaved, some tests revealed traces of cancer. #4. My entire body was riddled with severe,chronic pain. Especially my bones and jaw. #5. I was informed that my heart, and kidneys had completely collapsed. #6. I was on kidney dialysis #7. I was so "hooked up" on so many tubes to say many machines that I didn't even ask. #8. I was 7 different medications at once. #9. I was informed ( in the presence of many therapists and specialists ) that my "HEART FAILURE" was so severe that only 1% to 3% of this country's population survive this trauma let alone live. I suffered "Double Chamber" Sudden Death Heart Failure. One Chamber due to genetics, The other (The Most Severely Damaged ) a direct result of my "careless" USE/ ABUSE of Cocaine & Anabolic Steriods! #10. My lungs were damaged from the sudden infill of fluid ( Plurasy ) due to my heart failure! { " If my Life, my Death, and my Resurrection/ Reinsatatement back into this world is not a Reason to Believe in The Lord and Savior Jesus Christ of Nazareth then nothing is "!! Please do yourself a great favor and Receive Jesus Christ of Nazareth as your Lord & Savior { Romans 10:9_10:13 } now. Jesus Christ Kept and Keeps all His Promises! " }
    I spent a couple more weeks in the hospital, Upon my release, A very good and close friend of mine, who was & is the "Lead Emergency Room Physician" @ Scottsdale Healthcare, made all the arrangements to tranport me back home to Buffalo N.Y. where my beloved sister Ann, her fantastic husband Charlie, and their beautiful daughter Samantha ( my little princess ) lived. They took me into their home. I received such enormous love, nurturing, and beyond understanding care that I encountered such healing that words cannot describe! My entire family; Mary C., Sean(y) C. & Matty C. provided me with such love and support that again, words cannot describe! Within a little over a year, I was walking again. My body weight went back up to a comfortable 165_170lbs. My mind returned to "solid" & "cohesive" thought. My body was still very weak and was in a "constant" state of exhaustion. Within the next year my close and very dear friend from Scottsdale Healthcare made arrangements to return to Scottsdale Az. Where I took up residency again, Re_ entered Arizona State University. Earned my degree in Philosophy/ Religious Studies. Graduated with a GPA of 3.9. Applied and was accepted into Harvard University ( School of World Religions ). Applied and was accepted into Notre Dame University ( School of Philosophy/ Theology ). Applied and was accepted ( earning a scholarship ) into Arizona State University ( School of Religious Studies/ Peace Studies ). I opted not to continue on in my education, therefore placing my complete focus on " rebuilding" my body, my heart, and my life. Taking back from what was "Destroyed" and/or "Damaged" from my heart failure. In a nutshell, IT HAS NOT BEEN EASY!! But my Faith, and Hope in Christ has grown beyond my "wildest" dreams, ever increasing my genuine and sincere "Compassion" & "MIndfullness" of and for others!! "IN THIS & THIS ALONE, I AM A SUCCESSFUL HUMAN BEING"!! "I THANK GOD for GIVING ME THE ABILITY TO LOVE"!! Especially myself.

SR: Do you think Bodybuilding had anythign to do with this or was it simple your careless ways of Partying?

VC:
    Heart disease, heart attacks, and heart failure runs in my family. I unfortunately lost 3 uncles to heart related conditions. Therefore it is safe say, that my "Sudden Death Heart Failure" was caused by both "Genetics" and "Abuse", but mostly the result of severe Narcotic and Steroid Abuse years earlier. { " My Careless ways of Partying ( Use/ Abuse of Narcotics ) in conjuction with my Immature Overuse/ Abuse of Anabolic Steriods ENDED this man's Professional Bodybuilding Career well before it even got Started " }. A True Bodybuilding Tragidy! Shawn, please, I need to take a break now. Thanks.

My careless ways of Partying early in my bodybuilding career ( my severe Addiction to Cocain and Narcatics in conjuction with the Overuse/Abuse of Anabolic steriods from 1988 to 1993 ) not only ended my career but did the majority of damage to my heart. On the other hand, my incredible disciplines in bodybuilding, fitness, and nutrition throughout my life provided my physical body with an awesome ability to "heal" itself from the inside out!! : On a positive note: Readers listen up!! There is No Place for Use, which in fact is Abuse in "The Bodybuilding Lifestyle". You made a great and profitable choice to "BodyBuild", not to "BodyDamage!" Your lifestyle choice is titled "Bodybuiding" not "BodyDistruction"! Anyone can choose to "Party" ( do drugs ), tragically becoming a "Drug Addict", but not just Anyone can be a "Bodybuilder"! To become a true "Bodybuilder", now that takes a "special" person. A person willing to have the courage to reach out and embrace all the wonderful gualities, virtues and attributes that make up a Human Being of an incredible quality of character! A "true""Bodybuilder", committs himself and/or herself to healthy and solid "lifestyle" choices (ie., solid, healthy & regimented nutritional planning day & day out; designing, & scheduling challenging daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly anaerobic with aerobic training sessions ). A solid work ethic, healthy discipline, resulting in a very BALANCED life is the "ground" in which a "true" Bodybuilder walks!! Please, Mr.& Miss Bodybuilder listen up! Take the time to enjoy your well chosen "Bodybuilding" lifestyle & your "Body of Work" ( your reward extends well beyond the mirror ) for without being aware of it, you are changing and influencing the world around you daily _ in a very positive, good and inspirational way!!! And the beauty of it is, is that your doing it one person at a time, without opening up your mouth! Remain humble in your success. Stay true to your dream & desire of your persnonal bodybuiding design. The "bodybuilding lifestyle" you have committed yourself to today will yield incredible,
    very profitable, and healthy dividens that will be manifested throughout your entire life. In other words, your lifestyle choice, properly, and thoughtfully done is referred to as ( in the "medical" community ) " Preventative Medicine ". Leading by example, you are the "image" of " Health & Wellbeing ". Have the courage to enjoy your success all the days of your life!!! A life, definitly, worth living!! This is a SUCCESSFUL life.
    SR: Did you ever ask yourself, "How did I come to this end? Did you ever think of ending it all?

VC: Shawn, I believe I've already answered that "Heavy" question!! From the moment I was swept off the tarmac in Chicago at the 1990 Mr.Olympia, I was hopelessly, and tormentively on a suicide mission.

SR: You mentioned your father passed away, what effect did that have on you as a son and person?

VC: In 2003, I lost my dad to Cancer! Again, as I mentioned earlier and throughout this " incredible " and " Very Heavy " interview, my dad has played a "Most" important role in my life. Role Models like many an important Book, You really don't choose it but it finds a very definite way of choosing you. Such is the case with my dad. My dad raised 5 children on his own, 4 of have gone on to "great" things in thier lives ( there seems to be that "1" in every family who is loaded with "promise" but hopefully "gets it" before he dies. I believe that in this case, that would be me ). My Mother passed at the age of 45yrs. My dad, heartbroken and deeply hurt, immediately embraced his Pain, Stood Strong, and raised us kids, "beautifully"! My dad was a hard working, Irish Catholic, "Operating Engineer" ( ie., Master Crane Operator ). Every morning ( he never took a day off ) before we "woke up" he'd pack our lunches, and prepared our breakfasts. He then went to work and we went to school. ( God Forbid, any of us missed a day of school. Bottom line; Don't get sick ). Every night after work he prepared our supper and many a night did our laundry. My dad and the 5 of us worked together as one. By the way, we lived in a very small 2.5 bedroom & 1bath home. Tiny kitchen, hallway, dining/living room but we "Wanted" for nothing!! We learned to depend on each other. Mission Accomplished! Now let's fast forward to Buffalo N.Y., 2003. My dad ( Vincent Paul Comerford ) at 72yrs of age was fighting a "Violent" & "Painfull" war with Lymphnodic Cancer and losing!! I was continually flying back and forth from Phx. to Buffalo to spend time with my dad. At this time, my dad and I formed a momumental relationship founde and grounded in "Love"! Many a night I had the "Honor" & "Priviledge" to carry him from his worn out couch to the comfort of his bed. But little did he know that every time I layed him gently in his bed, I quitely walked outside, turned my face towards heaven and "Wept"! My heart was "Ripping Open" with "Pain" and severe "Sadness"! I "cried out" to God to have "Mercy" and Take his "Pain& Suffering" away!! In my dad's eyes he felt as though he was letting me down. But in my "reality" it wasme who has let him down. I'm his "First Born Son" and all I've given to him is "Failure"!! His Courage, Strength, and incredible Attitude was ever increasing while his body was "Wasting Away" ( my dad was 89lbs. when he passed ). At the same time my "Interior Pain" was ever increasing, embracing the "Idea" that I was an ever increasing " Failure" to him. Until one night while carrying him gently to bed. I layed him down, and "suddenly" he reached forward and "PULLED ME" close to his chest and "WHISPERED" in my ear gently and yet with incredible "CONVICTION": " Vincent, you never had to become Mr.America for me to love you more, I'm proud of you and love you just for being my son. These last days you have been my son whom I love. Vincent, please come home "! A few days later, my best friend, my "role model" passed. Shawn, there has not been one day that has passed since his death that I have not thought of him and smiled. Shawn, once You have excperienced "Love from Above", and "Love shared from Within," you have no choice but to "Walk on the ground of Humility and Compassion, And breathe the air of Appreciation". How "Blessed am I"?

SR: You look competely different than people remember you from back in the day. Is that by design? Where you not happy being the Blonde Myth?
    VC: ( yes and no ). I was extremely happy being the Blond Myth _ a moniker Mr.Lonnie Teper placed upon me immediately following my MWT win at the 1987 NPC American National Bodybuilding Championships, achieving my IFBB Pro Card. I had the ( blessed from above ) excellent symetry, deep seperation, perfectionlike balanced physique of a World Class Middlewight Champion combined with "HeavyWeight" 20(+)" arms. Respectfully and with great honor, my physique was said to mirror that of the "Great BodyBuilding Legend, Sergio Oliva." ( I was sort of a Blond "mini" Myth ). { " There is only one 'Original Blond Myth', everything and everyone else is nothing but a 'Knock Off' " }. A moniker I earned. Shawn, as the Blond Myth, every moment of everyday was a dream come true! I wasn't just happy, I Loved being constantly well recieved and recognized by all as The Blond Myth!!

At 50 Shawn, My hair is a "Little bit Whiter", and "Alot a bit Shorter"! I know, I know I am not quite as "Pretty" as I once was. This "Son's of Anarchy" like beard I'm sporting now is the result of at least 7yrs. of nurturing and careful brushing. I began growing it the moment I entered The School of Philosophy/ Religious Studies at Arizona State University ( approx. 2 yrs. after I suffered my Sudden Death Heart Failure ). Honestly Shawn, I truly believed I could never grow a mustache let alone a beard. Please take note; I did trim approx. 1(+)" off just prior to our interview Shawn, I just wanted to look sharp for you pal. A special note: I will be "taking it down" over this summer. As of now, I believe, I'm the "runner up" to the "Most Interesting Man in the World!?"

SR: It seems like through alot of Pray and Studies that God is working in and through you these days. You Faith seems to be stronger than your love for competing, how are you balancing that these days or will we see you onstage again someday?

VC: ( I begin each day by attending daily Mass entering into deep Prayer & Supplication onto my Lord and Savior, my Christ Jesus of Nazareth. In addition to Incorporating the use of daily devotionals and personal Bible study throughout my day. Simply put; I'm a simple man "Born Anew" in Jesus Christ of Nazareth, & I am glad ). Shawn, is it that obvious brother?

SR: When you speak you sound like the Bodybuilding Bug is back in you, is that fueling your desire to work with and train up and coming Bodybuilders in the future?

VC:
    YES, Absolutely Shawn. Much like Bodybuilding great Charles Glass, perhaps the Finest Trainer in America today. Charles, if your reading this, I need a job and I can work long hours. Congrats. brother! I often entertain the idea to aspire & possibly establish myself as an "author/ photographer" in our sport, much like the Chris Lund, Ellington Darden and such. Sincerely, and with much respect, perhaps become a writer much like you Shawn. Take a bow brother, your work as a writer and interviewer is nothing short of impressive, excellent, and always well done. ( No Bullshit )!! I have hopes on becoming an Honored and Priviledged member of The IFBB Bodybuiding "elite" as a Judge. I also pray for the opportunity to come together with another writer(s)/ author(s) to produce some great and very impotant pieces of literature providing much needed knowledge, understanding, and information that will constantly improve and promote our sport to the world. Just Great Stuff!

SR: What is the meaning of your experiences as it relates to Success and Failure?

VC: { ( Success & Failure in the " Worlds' eyes " vs. Success & Failure through my new " Kingdom eyes " founded & grounded in Jesus Christ of Nazareth?) }. Shawn, this entire interview is "Interwoven", "Cloaked", and "Blanketed" in extreme "Failure" and unbelievable "Success"! : ON FAILURE: No one needs to experience the Pain and Suffering I brought upon myself due to my Poor Choice(s), And/or Lack of Choice! I foolishly allowed my "Immaturaty", my "Insecurity(s), my "Lack of Responsibity", and my "Lack of Appreciation" to make many a careless choice to engage in Careless Partying. Little did I realize that these casual, careless "choices" when in fact were the "most important" "Decisions of my Life"! Case in point: "I Tragically Chose Death of my Career and my LIfe!" Readers, Listen up; " Everyday, Every moment on this earth you are immersed in choices, whether you realize it or not. But when made aware that a "Choice" must be made; " PLEASE CHOOSE LIFE! " PLEASE MAKE A DECISION NOW to MAKE DAILY CHOICES to choose morality, to choose goodness, to choose compassion, to choose selflessness, to choose to make a positive difference, to choose understanding, to choose knowledge, to choose education, to choose to listen, to choose to care, to choose sobriety, to choose to forgive, to choose to be forgiven, to choose responsponsibity, to choose to love your neighbor, to choose to love yourself, to choose to make healthy decisions, to choose peace, to choose give and receive respect, to choose each day to live it without regret, and finally, choose to choose SUCCESS." THUS, FAILURE IS CHOOSING NOT TO CHOOSE : ON SUCCESS: Right here and right now I do believe I am experiencing "Success." Thank you Shawn for opening this door.

Now, What is Success? Shawn, Please allow me to borrow two very appropriate quotes to help me explain what Success means to me. " The man who makes a success of an important venture never wails for the crowd. He strikes out for himself. It takes nerve; It takes alot of grit; but the man who succeeds has both. Anyone can fail. The public admires the man who has enough confidence in himself to take a chance. These chances are the main thing afterall. The man who tries to succeed must expect to be criticized. Nothing important was ever done but the greater number consulted previously doubted the possibility. Success is the accomplishment of that which most people think can't be done . " - C. V. White { In 1987, at The NPC American National Championships, I believe I was the embodiment of this quote }. " Try not to be a man of Success but try to become a man of Value, a man of Virtue, a man of Quality and Good Character " - Albert Einstien { Day in and Day out I work hard to be this man }. "Unlike Humility, just when you think you have it, it is gone." "Success, calls for effort, something to be achieved, to be embraced, but to be truly enjoyed it must be shared with others, have the courage to enjoy it daily." - Vincent Michael Patrick Comerford

SR: Are you healthy now? Is life good for you?

VC:
    Am I healthy now? Not as healthy yet, as I hope to be. ( For the last few years I've worked extremely hard, very carefully, and intellegently to Rebuild what I have Destroyed. I'm building it from the inside out. Let's just say I'm rebuilding The Temple, The Temple of The Holy Spirit of God ). All Training/ Nutrition/ Supplementation is targeted at "Heart Health & Muscle Building" specifically. { ( ie., PHA Training, Bob Gajda. Opposing Body Parts., Spinal Integrity., Anaerobic/ Aerobic Thresholds., 30_40min. Max Heart Rate., Myolfacial Release during, & immediately following workout., for starters.... Nutrition: ie., Meal Replacements, I'm in need of new updated solid supplimentation program, Parillo Performance, Captri , somewhat appropriate nutrition for my heart condition. I am Old School application with New School ideas ) }. I'm in the process of developing this "all encompassing" program(s). I believe nothing has been created along these lines yet! Shawn, designing & developing this program is very demanding and extremely involved. Definitely, an illustration of "Analyze & Apply", daily! I'm in a constant of learning.

My heart is still very enlarged, The Heat ( 9 months out the year ) here in Arizona makes life very difficult. It severely exhausts me daily. I do believe I need a new climate, brother. Right now I am experiencing some ( hopefully, not too severe ) complications caused from my heart failure. I'm going through some very important "Tests" right now. Please place me and keep me in your prayers. Shawn, is Life good for me now? Supernaturally / Spiritually; As a Born Again Believer & Follower in & of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Absolutely!! My life in the Natural? Shawn, I have never experienced such struggle and suffering in my life! Humbly, but not Shamefully, It has been difficult, It has been hard. SR: Where can your Fans find and communicate with you should they want to say hello, ask for guidance, lend you support?
    VC: You can find and communicate with me on Face Book:
    vincecomerford@yahoo.com. I am now in the process of re-establishing and updating my FB page. You can also contact me at vincecomerford@ymail.com . I'm looking so forward to hearing, speaking, and communicating everyone soon. Shawn Ray, MuscularDevelopement, Friends and Fans alike, thank you for your support.

SR: You have the last word.............

VC: To begin, From my ( extremely enlarged spiritual ) Heart, Shawn, thank you for taking a chance on me, affording me this "heavy", "hard hitting" Intervew with you { I Pray it will be "well received" by all }. Shawn, You are more than an incredible "Success" as a True Bodybuilding Great and Legend, deserving of much respect, honor and admiration, but your Greatest Success rests in the fact that you are a Good Dad and a Great Father! Well done my friend, well done. To you Mr. Steve Blackman, Thank you for putting me on the cover of the first issue of Muscular Developement 25 yrs. ago. And here we are 25yrs. later. Wow, Congratulations on your "hard earned", and "well deserved" Success Sir! Thank You, Steve, for taking a chance on me, affording me this interview { it means the World to me }.

To sum it all up : " When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I thought as a child, I behaved (understood) as a child, but when I became a man, I put my childish things away." - The Apostle Paul, 1 Corinthians 13:11
    , I, Vince Comerford became a man, the moment I received Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. I am not a pastor, I am not a preacher, I am not an evangelist. I am just a man who's reality is Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Through this reality, I believe/ I know that I am becoming a finer man/ a finer human being every moment of my life. I am a man that Loves Life; Loves Living; and Loves to Love! After all, once a man truly, and literally experiences "The Greatest Love of All" how can he ever be the same again? I am forever "In love" with my Christ Jesus of Nazareth and I am glad. " Greater Love has no one than this, than to lay done his life for his friends." - The Gospel of John 15: 13 Thank You Jesus Christ of Nazareth for Laying Down Your Life for me. For I no longer live, but it is You, my Christ Jesus Who now lives in me. Perhaps this Interview be best Titled: " RESURRECTED "!!
    Finally, Shawn, with all that being said let's go have an "Big" milk shake on me!

VC.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Incredible interview...where did you find him Shawn? Kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenera View Post
    Incredible interview...where did you find him Shawn? Kudos!
    Vince is living in Phoenix, AZ. We had lunch and shared some good conversation.
    He is in a happier place these days and looking to Train Athletes on Competitive Bodybuilding ala Charles Glass, Hany Rambod, George Farah style!

juxtaposedhearts0

He looks amazing! Great interview.

Thanks for the interview shawn, vince looks in great shape..........

I can't imagine a better trainer & mentor. Nothing but the best wished for this great athlete & man.

good interview and an amazing story!

I remember seeing Vince for the first the first time on the show American Muscle Magazine, around 1990, when they had him as a special host. He had the type of physique that could of gone far in the I.F.B.B., but unfortunately he crossed over to the W.B.F. Like one of the W.B.F. bodystars, as they were called, David Dearth said to me at a show after leaveing the Federation "if you're getting payed between $100,000 to $200,000 a year to just do one show a year and nothing else because of all the free time you have on your hands you mite just get caught up in the party scene". Maybe that's what happened to Vince when he talks about his coke abuse and what a mistake it was to sign with the W.B.F. If Vince McMahon insted of trying to take over bodybuilding like he has done with wrestling would of had his own I.F.B.B. pro show with the money that he has it could of been like another Arnold classic.

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Vince is a true legend from the golden era of bodybuilding and Im sure he will be helping bodybuilders reach thier full potential in the future!

Vince was truly a favorite of mine back in the day.

In Memorial of my friend, Vince Comerford.
    RIP brother.

S R

RIP

Our last photo together after lunch in Phoenix, AZ
    418539_10150683406241278_2056254677_n.jpg

This interview is so long as interesting.

There is much learning in Vince message but not everyone is ready to listen.