Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop screwing up your CONTEST PREP!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Porter View Post
    So everyone remember --- next time your ignorant beginner friend says this National level competitor is doing their diet and has them on "keto" - just know that poor soul is eating 6 meals a day of whey iso and almonds, 6 whole eggs, salmon and asparagus, and will eat 1 cheat meal on Sunday ----- and all the while paying their National guy monthly for a bullshit diet that is not custom. Remember, the poor client will STALL and then do pro/veggie days followed by tedious 1hr long double split cardio for low intensity (because "keto" will cause muscle to oxidize) ---- I feel bad for these people and next time talk some sense into them and say just google the damn diet for free!!!!

-Matt
    I think people under estimate the power of google lol

When you are in great condition a few weeks before a contest and have done everything in your power to be looking great without any unnecessary manipulations -- you technically should be able to coast into the day of the show.

However --- I still hear people using depletion methods along with sodium and carb manipulations starting 10 days out or so.....REALLY!?!?! You either look good or not at 10 days out and are only asking for trouble if doing this.

I witnessed a guy who could have won an overall this last Saturday lose by doing manipulations that were completely uncalled for.

I will say this --- Diuretics are NOT mandatory and you can be ultra dry without them, but choosing the RIGHT diuretic can definitely be an "insurance policy" in a sense.

I only feel comfortable advocating dyazide (triameterine/HCTZ) which is potassium sparing and acts very fast upon using. 1/2 tabs are all that is needed the evening before show time. It's just icing on the cake.

I still cannot figure out why guru's / competitors insist on using Aldactone for diuretic properties??? It's a friggin ANTI-ANDROGEN that is not a diuretic but an aldosterone blocker that takes 3-4 days to build up in blood.

Yet prep coaches will sometimes throw this in 1-2 days out which is really not adequate time for it to even work properly. Using aldactone is favored because it is considered "safe" and potassium sparing. However -- once this Androgen Blocker builds up in the blood --- chances are you may go very flat. Once aldosterone is blocked --- "shitload" on all the bacon burgers you want because it wont fill you because the aldosterone is now blocked and vascularity from increased blood pressure is non existent.

So use dyazide or nothing at all.

As for Sodium and carbs should REMAIN pretty much the same all during the final week --- and perhaps lowering sodium 1 day out is really as "extreme"as it should get. Carbs by that time are most likely low and you are looking dry and full due to high water and high sodium.

For carb loading --- that is something that can be done 1 day out or the morning of the show. Trust me --- you do not need 3 days of 800g / 1000g/ and 600g of carbs for weds, thurs and fri!!!!

That is asking for trouble! Most people fail to realize that you store anywhere from 175-250g in your liver , and anywhere from 375-500 as muscle glycogen.

Let's give the benefit of the doubt and say you are bigger than average (225lbs ripped) and are "depleted" so you now might be able to store more than that ---so instead if approximately 500-750g of glycogen,,,, you can top out at 1000g.

I would rather be 80% "full" and dry as all hell, then to push the envelope from 3000 grams of yams for 3 days!!!!

Trust me, high water and high sodium will keep you NOT flat.

Summation:

• Be in shape 2 weeks out
    • keep water high and sodium high until friday before show
    • If using an "insurance policy" (diuretic) opt for dyazide only
    • Do not load carbs for 3 days to astronomical amounts
    • Use 1 day or day of show to load carbs and dry out simultaneously.

-Matt
    Other than marketing yourself, I've read nothing new

Quote Originally Posted by -DNTS- View Post
    Other than marketing yourself, I've read nothing new
    90% of competitors do not know basic things, so you are wiser than most. Once again --- not marketing myself, but vented a little bit, then thought why not start some discussion because everyone now keeps things private and doesnt give a way "too much info" ----In 2012 there are WAYYYY more agenda's and LESS good free info available ----2001-2005 there was much more help with open and shared information on forums....not so much nowadays.....

-Matt
    Professional Body Mechanic
    www.MPASUPPS.com

90% of competitors do not know basic things, so you are wiser than most. Once again --- not marketing myself, but vented a little bit, then thought why not start some discussion because everyone now keeps things private and doesnt give a way "too much info" ----In 2012 there are WAYYYY more agenda's and LESS good free info available ----2001-2005 there was much more help with open and shared information on forums....not so much nowadays.....

-Matt
    these days none wants to give away info for free when they can get money out of it...sharing information in 01-05 lead to so called "internet/board gurus" born...justin harris, shelby starnes, gavin kane, dante trudel, skip from im - few of them, they all was giving info for free untill began making money from it. Theses days has nothing changed - competitors are paying money for a basic info to a so called internet gurus, I'd better do some research myself, invest money anywhere else (nutrition, supplements, aas, hgh etc) and end up even better. None kows your body better than you - do basic stuff, try one thing than another and through trial and error you'll end up with that magic formula that none of these internet gurus whose sits somewhere thousands and thousands km away from you, sees you only in pics, has bunch of other clients to work with will give you

how many shows have you competed, Matt?

these days none wants to give away info for free when they can get money out of it...sharing information in 01-05 lead to so called "internet/board gurus" born...justin harris, shelby starnes, gavin kane, dante trudel, skip from im - few of them, they all was giving info for free untill began making money from it. Theses days has nothing changed - competitors are paying money for a basic info to a so called internet gurus, I'd better do some research myself, invest money anywhere else (nutrition, supplements, aas, hgh etc) and end up even better. None kows your body better than you - do basic stuff, try one thing than another and through trial and error you'll end up with that magic formula that none of these internet gurus whose sits somewhere thousands and thousands km away from you, sees you only in pics, has bunch of other clients to work with will give you

how many shows have you competed, Matt?
    Ughh too many.....somewhere around 26 or so.....first time having a legit off-season. I would compete in 4-5 shows each yr experimenting, and loved the dieting process more than off-season. It then would force me to rush an off-season and I would get injured, immune system would crash or all of the above --- then I ended up making little progress from yr to yr.

I'm very pleased with things during my 1.5 year off-season ---- 265 and pretty hard, so I am excited to come back in 2013.

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Ughh too many.....somewhere around 26 or so.....first time having a legit off-season. I would compete in 4-5 shows each yr experimenting, and loved the dieting process more than off-season. It then would force me to rush an off-season and I would get injured, immune system would crash or all of the above --- then I ended up making little progress from yr to yr.

I'm very pleased with things during my 1.5 year off-season ---- 265 and pretty hard, so I am excited to come back in 2013.

-Matt
    26 is A LOT. Especially at your age, aren't you 26-27 or so?

Also PB is something that most people should chuck out the window win dieting --- easiest thing to cheat on. At night you will cave in. Throw that junk away and always go for pre measured nuts (100 calorie packs Almond packs, trader joes raw almond packs etc)

Not to mention PB glorified for its "health" benefits is a sham --- it is a lectin, *anti nutrient* and also poor choice for monounsaturated fat (omega-9) when olive, almonds, and macadamia nut are superior.

-Matt
    i find peanut butter produces a mild allergic reaction in me at some level though i am not extremely sensitive to it

if i eat enough of it, i notice some facial swelling, mild airway restrictions
    a bit more and i get some minor hives on my forearms and sometimes my thighs near the knees

has the same nutritional profile as almond butter

are there any other foods which one might consume normally, but at a low bf%-condition might produce just enough of a reaction to spoil 'condition' with minor swelling producing smoothness?
    http://krohdaddi.tumblr.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen
    Whatever you do, don't take a screenshot and post that pm...

-Matt
    Same bro. I know the feeling. I had my first bulk of my life this yr at 29 lol....i am pretty happy with the improvements iv made and am excited to step on stage this yr.....

how healthy can it possibly be to do that many shows in such a short period of time?
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Matt what would be your opinion on snacking on something like dusty hanshaws protein balls the morning of prejudging? They settle real well in my stomach with no bloat. Also they make me poop lol

Tried earlier went with a simple mix...
    2 1/2 cup gluten free oats
    6 scoops protein whey isolate(true nutrition)
    4 teaspoon splenda or sugar
    4 tablespoon peanut butter or almond
    drizzle of honey on top
    1/4 cup of water and milk

Baked on 180 for 15mins, leave to cool.

pretty impressed just a little dry.

Yes it is and yes I am. Very stubborn and would always feel I had to get an "overall" each contest year....sometimes I would get 2nd , 2nd, class win.....then I would do a 4th and 5th show to get my goal...

It was stupid in a sense --- but gained me experience with prep.

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by FLIP View Post
    Matt what would be your opinion on snacking on something like dusty hanshaws protein balls the morning of prejudging? They settle real well in my stomach with no bloat. Also they make me poop lol

Tried earlier went with a simple mix...
    2 1/2 cup gluten free oats
    6 scoops protein whey isolate(true nutrition)
    4 teaspoon splenda or sugar
    4 tablespoon peanut butter or almond
    drizzle of honey on top
    1/4 cup of water and milk

Baked on 180 for 15mins, leave to cool.

pretty impressed just a little dry.

Man, when you are properly dried out by Saturday morning --- you literally can almost EAT ANYTHING and look good or even improve -- given you do not over fluid in combination with excessive eating.

THose PB/whey balls are always in someones tupperware at a show and being offered out it seems ---- PB and rolled oats is cotton mouth, but surely is fine morning of....

Honestly for sodium ----without bloat I eat doritos, funyuns, etc.....PJ i like my stomach LIGHT ---- then after PJ I eat a hearty meal then nap and most likely poo......

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    how healthy can it possibly be to do that many shows in such a short period of time?
    Thought about this a ton ---- 26 shows MOST of them dry and peeled ---- surely not healthy. I hate the thought and understand it was not a wise idea and finally am having a reality check.

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Man, when you are properly dried out by Saturday morning --- you literally can almost EAT ANYTHING and look good or even improve -- given you do not over fluid in combination with excessive eating.

THose PB/whey balls are always in someones tupperware at a show and being offered out it seems ---- PB and rolled oats is cotton mouth, but surely is fine morning of....

Honestly for sodium ----without bloat I eat doritos, funyuns, etc.....PJ i like my stomach LIGHT ---- then after PJ I eat a hearty meal then nap and most likely poo......

-Matt
    Thanks a lot Matt! Much appreciated I'll let ya know how it goes. Do you have an email to contact for prep?

Quote Originally Posted by FLIP View Post
    Thanks a lot Matt! Much appreciated I'll let ya know how it goes. Do you have an email to contact for prep?
    I am already to deep in helping others for prep right now --- I do this here and there to help others out, but since I put so much damn emotion and effort into peoples prep --- it literally stresses me the hell out.....

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Dedicated Noob

LOL --- I am off-season mode and that is a WHOLE OTHER THREAD! --- Yes I drink lots of water now + lots of diet soda + lots of other things haha

I was only referring to precontest --- and remember, I ALWAYS drink my required 1.5-2 gallons and will have diets as extra credit per se.....

-Matt
    Oooh can we have an offseason thread?
    This past offseason i pushed bulking way too far, and am ending up having to drop 50 lbs or so to be in summer shape. Specifically for my next offseason was going to do a carb cycling diet like this one that chris aceto endorses. Any opinions on it?

i lift monday thru friday and take the weekends off so was thinking monday/ tues extremely high carb, wed thru friday high carbs (2:1 ration) then really low carb for the weekend,. thoughts?

http://www.nutramedia.com/nutrition.cgi

sorry to derail the thread, just ignore if you feel its taking away from the thread.

thanks matt, learning a lot so far

Amateur Threat ChrisCatastrophe's Avatar

Good to have you here Matt!

Page 11 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast