Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 169 of 173 FirstFirst ... 69119159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173 LastLast
Results 2,857 to 2,873 of 2933

Thread: Stop screwing up your CONTEST PREP!

Quote Originally Posted by smbarney View Post
    Matt if someone is forced to train first thing in the am at 430 how would you structure the first meal. Esp if time is a issue. Waking up at 4 to eat a meal before isn't really my ideal option. Would you do a shake then whole meal post or Intra shake? Im
    Struggling with this. Thanks.
    shove a meal down or liquid meal in middle of night while peeing.... say 1-2 am

-Matt
    Professional Body Mechanic
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nelzonj View Post
    This is very ambiguous/ speculative so I apologize. If one was to prep for a national level show in men's physique, do you think he could be competitive on 500mg test a week? As in- that's it. 500mg from point a 16 weeks out to point b show day, not coming off?

I'm not exactly sure of what's going on with mpd in terms of enhancement (especially if they can be 2-3% bf above the men's bb).
    Of course if genetics are there,,,, if genetics are there, some prep natural.

Or something like primo solo...

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by JordanWFitness View Post
    Matt what is your thoughts on training for bodybuilding?

Should one stick to pretty much purely hypertrophy training in the 8-15 range? or Should you combine low, mod, and high reps within one workout like starting with heavy 3-5 bench, then 8-12 incline, then 15+ flies? or should you follow something like Daily Undulating Periodization like Dr. Zourdos recommends, changing from hypertrophy, to strength, to power on any given day tailoring it to your goals such as a 3:1:1 hyper:strengthower for a bodybuilder or 1:2:1 for a powerlifter? or something completely different?

I believe you need to train in the 8-15 rep range always --- and use as many free weight as you can,, yet switch exercises and variations up every 3-6 weeks too...

Its all about not adapting.... but injuries are real, and lifting too heavy and you will get unlucky inevitably...

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by guindilla View Post
    Hi Matt. Thanks for the reply. What's the reasoning for advising to drink the water between meals and not with your actual meals? Do you not advice to drink any with your meals on show day?

On another hand, is it ok to add in some vitamin C and dandelion root the last week before the show (starting Monday before Tuesday/Wednesday load) and run it all the way into Friday night?
    I feel food absorbs better solo.... I believe fluid between meals keep stomach bloat down....

Dandelion , uva ursi etc... that is all fine 4 days out at NORMAL DOSES!!! Not mega dosed!

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Albin Eriksson View Post
    If i have a very little marginal to weigh-in the last day before weigh-ins friday evening, how would you do Matt?

Then drink as normal that day, eat normal (carbs or no carbs depending on your protocol) and then dry out over night,,,, pretty stress free

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Hi Matt,

Regarding water day of show, at my last show I was a little flat due to fluid but was very happy with dryness.

I pushed water up to 9 litres on Friday and cut at 10pm Friday with last meal for 1 pm pre judging Saturday.

Took half dyazide at 4pm (6hr before cut off) and 10 pm (cut off) Friday and another half at 4 am Saturday.
    Total lost was 9 lb overnight and was very happy with dryness.

Had a meal at 6.30 am of 50g carbs sodium free rice cakes, 100g turkey and 40g almond butter.
    Then at 9.30 am I reintroduced sodium after cutting it 24hrs before with a meal of 150g beef 50g carb from rice with 2 eggs added salt and ketchup and just had snack at 11.30 am of some rice cakes and cashew butter.

Only fluid I had then was I sipped 330 ml coconut water when I began pumping up roughly 45 min before stage time but I feel it wasn't enough as pump wasn't as strong getting ready.

I have a couple of questiona if that's okay..

1. When and how much water is okay/safe to consume as a guideline once you are dry?
    I'm assuming you should wait a while to take in fluid especially around/after the meal of reintroducing sodium?

2. Best way to assess if more fluid is needed?

3. Would something like 15g cyclic dextrin (glycofuse) and one scoop hemavol in 300 ml water have benefit if it was sipped 30 mins before pumping up?

Thanks for your help as always !

Picture of my legs 8.30 am Saturday before reintroducing sodium 20141004_090327.jpg
    Save 5% at True Nutrition www.truenutrition.com ! Use discount code DSM253

^How do you know how many grams of Almond butter you used? How do you weigh Almond Butter?
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Porter View Post
    I believe you need to train in the 8-15 rep range always --- and use as many free weight as you can,, yet switch exercises and variations up every 3-6 weeks too...

Its all about not adapting.... but injuries are real, and lifting too heavy and you will get unlucky inevitably...

-Matt

Really? because i have had nice results with mixing up that rep range and sometimes going SUPER high reps with moderate to heavy weights. What do you think?
    "Anyone can speak english when in might get you a little strange lol"

Quote Originally Posted by deanstm View Post
    Hi Matt,

Regarding water day of show, at my last show I was a little flat due to fluid but was very happy with dryness.

I pushed water up to 9 litres on Friday and cut at 10pm Friday with last meal for 1 pm pre judging Saturday.

Took half dyazide at 4pm (6hr before cut off) and 10 pm (cut off) Friday and another half at 4 am Saturday.
    Total lost was 9 lb overnight and was very happy with dryness.

Had a meal at 6.30 am of 50g carbs sodium free rice cakes, 100g turkey and 40g almond butter.
    Then at 9.30 am I reintroduced sodium after cutting it 24hrs before with a meal of 150g beef 50g carb from rice with 2 eggs added salt and ketchup and just had snack at 11.30 am of some rice cakes and cashew butter.

Only fluid I had then was I sipped 330 ml coconut water when I began pumping up roughly 45 min before stage time but I feel it wasn't enough as pump wasn't as strong getting ready.

I have a couple of questiona if that's okay..

1. When and how much water is okay/safe to consume as a guideline once you are dry?
    I'm assuming you should wait a while to take in fluid especially around/after the meal of reintroducing sodium?

2. Best way to assess if more fluid is needed?

3. Would something like 15g cyclic dextrin (glycofuse) and one scoop hemavol in 300 ml water have benefit if it was sipped 30 mins before pumping up?

Thanks for your help as always !

Picture of my legs 8.30 am Saturday before reintroducing sodium 20141004_090327.jpg
    1.) Do not cut sodium down completely -- just a common sense lighter amount the day before. Drink 8-12 oz water between meals and monitor your body weight so you know what weight you look best around, and eat/drink to maintain it.
    Then you can have a HIGHER sodium influx prior to PJing and that will help cramps and vascularity etc...

2.) more fluid needed if your muscle contractions suck, and your delts sink in, and you further lose weight by the hour....

3.) I never try any pump products etc before stage time... too tricky for stomach issues... keep it safe... munch on some light carbs and sodium

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    Really? because i have had nice results with mixing up that rep range and sometimes going SUPER high reps with moderate to heavy weights. What do you think?

Sure --- 30-50 reps... just not all the time or very your only scheme... I am saying if you had to stick to one rep range for a prolong period time for optimal Bodybuilding results -- 8-15 is my "perma fix"

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Awesome Matt !

Thank you so much for answering !!

So just to confirm fluid wise I'm safe to have 8-12 oz around 7 am if first meal is 6.30, and another 8-12 oz at 10 am 30 minutes after higher sodium meal ingested at 9.30 ??
    Then assess contractions and if needed sip another 8-12 oz of gatorade prior to pumping up??

Bathroom wise by 10.30 am I was still going but it wasn't a lot (maybe 50ml or so) so my weight wasn't continuing to drop too much.

Would I be right in saying you only run the risk of holding water if you take in a large influx of sodium and gulp a lot of fluid at the same ??

Thanks for your time as always

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull9 View Post
    ^How do you know how many grams of Almond butter you used? How do you weigh Almond Butter?
    Food scales at home ?? :P

1.) Do not cut sodium down completely -- just a common sense lighter amount the day before. Drink 8-12 oz water between meals and monitor your body weight so you know what weight you look best around, and eat/drink to maintain it.
    Then you can have a HIGHER sodium influx prior to PJing and that will help cramps and vascularity etc.
    The previous protocol was to cut sodium approx 24 hrs before prejudging i.e. stop salting meals heavily if had been doing so and just allow for the naturally occurring sodium in meals that day e.g. beef etc.

So with the above advice one is to continue adding small amounts of salt/condiment to their meals a day out, ensuring a small amount of added sodium to their meals a day out?

Quote Originally Posted by deanstm View Post
    The previous protocol was to cut sodium approx 24 hrs before prejudging i.e. stop salting meals heavily if had been doing so and just allow for the naturally occurring sodium in meals that day e.g. beef etc.

So with the above advice one is to continue adding small amounts of salt/condiment to their meals a day out, ensuring a small amount of added sodium to their meals a day out?
    Yes, no need to completely avoid it --- just reduce it.

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Yes, no need to completely avoid it --- just reduce it.

-Matt
    Cool, thanks so much for replying !!

I'm starting to think my flat/water issue may have been due to using 3 1/2 tabs of dyazide, added on top to the lack of fluid day of show.
    Maybe its safer with two 1/2 tabs (one 6 hrs before cut off and the other at cut off).
    Any advice on when you'd make a call if needed to use 1/4 tab upon waking next morning???

And just to confirm please, fluid wise I'm safe to have 8-12 oz around 7 am if first meal is 6.30 and water cut off was 10 pm bight before, and possibly another 8-12 oz at 10 am 30 minutes after meal ingested at 9.30 ??
    Or should I be assessing contractions before deciding to add in fluid if water was ran high?

Last edited by deanstm; October 10th, 2014 at 03:48 PM.

20141004-_MG_5511-copy.jpg20141004-_MG_5513-copy.jpg20141004-_MG_5514-copy.jpg20141004-_MG_5515-copy.jpg20141004-_MG_5337-copy.jpg20141004-_MG_5332-copy.jpg20141004-_MG_5333-copy.jpg20141004-_MG_5335-copy.jpg

Some more photos from the Top 6

Guys listen to everything Matt says here, the protocols work !!!!

Loaded carbs early (350g Mon and Tues) then focused on drying out.
    Water went to 9 litres Friday night and was cut at 10 pm for the 1 p.m prejudging.
    Used 3 half dyazide tabs (4p.m Friday, 10 p.m Friday and 4 a.m Saturday).
    Stopped adding sodium to meals from 9 am Friday and just allowed it to naturally occur in the protein sources.
    Nighttime weight was 82.5kg at 10 pm and dropped to 77.5kg at 8.30 a.m (5 kg / 11 lbs lost).

First meal Saturday morning was 6.30 a.m of 50g sodium free carbs and 20g fats.
    Weighed in at 9,30 a.m and then had meal of 150g beef, 2 eggs, 50 g carbs from rice, added salt and ketchup.
    Then just snacked on salted rice cakes and popchips until stagetime.
    Only fluid I had was 330 ml coconut water sipped when I started pumpimp up 30 mins before stagetime.
    As I said, didnt get as strong a pump when getting ready and I know its definitely not sodium or glycogen related.

Any feedback on how I looked Matt would be great and how I could possibly tweak my approach using your guidelines please???

Thanks as always, and I hope people can learn from my approach as I have throughout this thread

Page 169 of 173 FirstFirst ... 69119159160161162163164165166167168169170171172173 LastLast