Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 149 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop screwing up your CONTEST PREP!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Stop screwing up your CONTEST PREP!

When you are in great condition a few weeks before a contest and have done everything in your power to be looking great without any unnecessary manipulations -- you technically should be able to coast into the day of the show.

However --- I still hear people using depletion methods along with sodium and carb manipulations starting 10 days out or so.....REALLY!?!?! You either look good or not at 10 days out and are only asking for trouble if doing this.

I witnessed a guy who could have won an overall this last Saturday lose by doing manipulations that were completely uncalled for.

I will say this --- Diuretics are NOT mandatory and you can be ultra dry without them, but choosing the RIGHT diuretic can definitely be an "insurance policy" in a sense.

I only feel comfortable advocating dyazide (triameterine/HCTZ) which is potassium sparing and acts very fast upon using. 1/2 tabs are all that is needed the evening before show time. It's just icing on the cake.

I still cannot figure out why guru's / competitors insist on using Aldactone for diuretic properties??? It's a friggin ANTI-ANDROGEN that is not a diuretic but an aldosterone blocker that takes 3-4 days to build up in blood.

Yet prep coaches will sometimes throw this in 1-2 days out which is really not adequate time for it to even work properly. Using aldactone is favored because it is considered "safe" and potassium sparing. However -- once this Androgen Blocker builds up in the blood --- chances are you may go very flat. Once aldosterone is blocked --- "shitload" on all the bacon burgers you want because it wont fill you because the aldosterone is now blocked and vascularity from increased blood pressure is non existent.

So use dyazide or nothing at all.

As for Sodium and carbs should REMAIN pretty much the same all during the final week --- and perhaps lowering sodium 1 day out is really as "extreme"as it should get. Carbs by that time are most likely low and you are looking dry and full due to high water and high sodium.

For carb loading --- that is something that can be done 1 day out or the morning of the show. Trust me --- you do not need 3 days of 800g / 1000g/ and 600g of carbs for weds, thurs and fri!!!!

That is asking for trouble! Most people fail to realize that you store anywhere from 175-250g in your liver , and anywhere from 375-500 as muscle glycogen.

Let's give the benefit of the doubt and say you are bigger than average (225lbs ripped) and are "depleted" so you now might be able to store more than that ---so instead if approximately 500-750g of glycogen,,,, you can top out at 1000g.

I would rather be 80% "full" and dry as all hell, then to push the envelope from 3000 grams of yams for 3 days!!!!

Trust me, high water and high sodium will keep you NOT flat.

Summation:
    • Be in shape 2 weeks out
    • keep water high and sodium high until friday before show
    • If using an "insurance policy" (diuretic) opt for dyazide only
    • Do not load carbs for 3 days to astronomical amounts
    • Use 1 day or day of show to load carbs and dry out simultaneously.

-Matt
    Professional Body Mechanic
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Thanks for the post up bro. I'm going into my first prep soon and this brief summary was perfect.

Behemoth

Good write up. I think a lot of guys go extreme and drastic with manipulation when its clear their fat just wasn't low enough or it was and they fucked themselves by not sticking to game plan

Amateur Threat

How do you feel about diuretics for naturals?

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSlam View Post
    How do you feel about diuretics for naturals?
    Tricky because the natural can "flatten out" out and deflate in a blink of an eye. They do not have anabolic and androgenic help to keep the muscles full and round looking. AAS aid in intracellular water, and makes you look full.

A natural should not do anything crazy and just do pretty much ZERO fine tuning before a show because they are not taking X + Y + Z compounds which aas users have to account for. If anything the natural athlete could take a 1/4 -1/2 tab of dyazide and simply KEEP drinking water to stay somewhat full. But never completely CUT FLUIDS!

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Amateur Threat

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Porter View Post
    Tricky because the natural can "flatten out" out and deflate in a blink of an eye. They do not have anabolic and androgenic help to keep the muscles full and round looking. AAS aid in intracellular water, and makes you look full.

A natural should not do anything crazy and just do pretty much ZERO fine tuning before a show because they are not taking X + Y + Z compounds which aas users have to account for. If anything the natural athlete could take a 1/4 -1/2 tab of dyazide and simply KEEP drinking water to stay somewhat full. But never completely CUT FLUIDS!

-Matt
    Well dyazide is banned i meant natural otc diuretics like xpel

Quote Originally Posted by HulkSlam View Post
    Well dyazide is banned i meant natural otc diuretics like xpel
    Just a recommended dose is fine and keep drinking normally and keep sodium consistent --- just adding an herbal should not fill your fullness unless you manipulate sodium and water extremely.

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Amateur Threat

Just a recommended dose is fine and keep drinking normally and keep sodium consistent --- just adding an herbal should not fill your fullness unless you manipulate sodium and water extremely.

-Matt
    Thanks

-Matt
    hey mate, great thread.

so you think a natural should not worry too much about re-feed days, carbing up and manipulating sodium for a show and just diet your fucking ass off?

Would this not cause you to be "flat"?

a friend of mine who has had some success competing but is a bit "old school" said this is how he dieted and i thought he was being well, "old school" lol.

cheers.
    Last edited by bigdealbaby; April 7th, 2012 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdealbaby View Post
    hey mate, great thread.

so you think a natural should not worry too much about re-feed days, carbing up and manipulating sodium for a show and just diet your fucking ass off?

Would this not cause you to be "flat"?

a friend of mine who has had some success competing but is a bit "old school" said this is how he dieted and i thought he was being well, "old school" lol.

cheers.
    Dude -- unless you are the genetically gifted black athlete who already is born with delt tie ins, and round muscles ---- being white and natty......chances are you will be pretty damn "flat" looking ----in fact VERY FLAT looking with clothing on etc... but if you get peeled ---- you will POP and EXPLODE on stage and that wont matter.

Sure -- I had my natural guy have maybe TWO refeed days of 800+ grams of carbs, but he was in shape before he was permitted those and his husky ass finally got flat. I actually did his water and sodium and diuretic as if he was JUICED and I regretted it. He looked better the night before full of gallons of water. NOW I KNOW.

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Dude -- unless you are the genetically gifted black athlete who already is born with delt tie ins, and round muscles ---- being white and natty......chances are you will be pretty damn "flat" looking ----in fact VERY FLAT looking with clothing on etc... but if you get peeled ---- you will POP and EXPLODE on stage and that wont matter.

Sure -- I had my natural guy have maybe TWO refeed days of 800+ grams of carbs, but he was in shape before he was permitted those and his husky ass finally got flat. I actually did his water and sodium and diuretic as if he was JUICED and I regretted it. He looked better the night before full of gallons of water. NOW I KNOW.

-Matt
    this....seems like alot of competitors (esp natty) cannot psychologically handle when the clothes they used to fill out start fitting a little more loosely. onstage that shit doesn't matter cus like you said once you are peeled you will appear much larger onstage. i prefer to wear bigger than normal shirts when i'm prepping anyway

-Matt
    Ok man, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am considering having a crack at competing next year once I bring my legs up! Lol. so I will keep your advice in mind.

Cheers

sounds like you know your shit man

You should give this advice to Heinz Senior, he's in desperate need of help

Future Gym Owner

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMadePunk View Post
    You should give this advice to Heinz Senior, he's in desperate need of help

Heinz just simply needs to be LEANER --- he most likely is afraid to lose to muuch fullness and size. No tricks for him other than to diet harder and peel BF.

Not water issue --- but a BF issue.

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Heinz just simply needs to be LEANER --- he most likely is afraid to lose to muuch fullness and size. No tricks for him other than to diet harder and peel BF.

Not water issue --- but a BF issue.

-Matt
    ouch,that hurts. you are talking about one of the most renown prep coaches in Florida!
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    ouch,that hurts. you are talking about one of the most renown prep coaches in Florida!
    he seems nice and all --- but from what i have seen he is always looking for a magic trick or special product to do the work for him...glucagon injections, lots of orals, fat burners etc...

Just need to come in peeled but that could mean hollowing out the quads, which could make a structure issue more pronounced....you get the picture...

-Matt
    www.MPASUPPS.com

Page 1 of 149 123456789101151101 ... LastLast