Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supplement help

Default Supplement help

With all the scientific research articles that are just paid advertisements out there, some of them have to be .

So can someone help a beginner out? I'm looking for advice as to what kind of supplements are the best to jumpstart my growth, but also make it possible to lose some fat around the waist. I know these goals are somewhat contradictory, so at this stage trimming the waist is the priority. I expect my lack of experience will lead to some muscle growth anyway.

I have been lifting for about 3 weeks. Last Monday I was 208lb at 5'10" and approximately 26% BF (neck measurement of 16.75" and Waist of 41"). Oh, and I turn 32 on 11/10.

I know the basic three - Protein, Creatine, and a multi-vitamin. I have Nitro-tech, Cell-tech, a plain creatine monohydrate powder, and GNC Mega man vitamins. I have been taking the nitro-tech, creatine monohydrate with milk pre-workout, and the Nitro-tech, cell-tech post workout (I heard the extra carbs and simple sugars are good for recovery).

Well that's my current plan and my question - is there better stuff? What should I look for in a protein powder? Or in the other supps?

Thanks for your advice,

Dustin

The best supplements for gaining mass are:

- A quality protein blend (whey and casein at a minimum)
    - Creatine (a good monohydrate is all that is needed)
    - ETS: This is a unique product that only my company offers. It dramatically reduces DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness) and general recovery allowing you to push harder and make better progress in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    The best supplements for gaining mass are:

- A quality protein blend (whey and casein at a minimum)
    - Creatine (a good monohydrate is all that is needed)
    - ETS: This is a unique product that only my company offers. It dramatically reduces DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness) and general recovery allowing you to push harder and make better progress in the gym.
    Sounds Just like the MuscleTech adds for GaKic!!!

But Very Sound Advice!!!
    SWEAT DRIES, BLOOD CLOTS, BONES HEAL, CHICKS DIG SCARS......

Quote Originally Posted by The Student
    Sounds Just like the MuscleTech adds for GaKic!!!

But Very Sound Advice!!!
    In my opinion the difference being that my product works exactly as claimed. Rather than take my word for it do a search on it on the following forums:

forums.johnstonefitness.com
    www.wannabebigforums.com
    www.fortifiediron.com/invision

You can also check with some of the strongest men and women on the planet (not all of whom we sponsor):

Phil Harrington (world record squat of 903 lbs at 181 lbs)
    Donnie Thompson (3 lift total of over 2600 lbs)
    Mike Wolfe (raw 600 lbs bencher and shirted bench of 830+ lbs)
    Laura Phelps (first woman with a 10X bodyweight total!!!)
    Kara Bohigian (400+ lbs bench)
    Nick Winters (650 lbs raw bench!)
    John Stafford (2500+ lbs total in the 275 lb class)

and many, many others...

I don't sell anything that doesn't work exactly as claimed. That is why we only offer Creapure (TM) German monohydrate (Creatine 500) and not some of the other crap being sold on the market. That is why our protein blend is the best with 3 fractions of whey (isolate, hydrolyzed, and casein), casein, and egg protein.

Anyway, I don't steer people wrong and I don't sell crap.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    In my opinion the difference being that my product works exactly as claimed. Rather than take my word for it do a search on it on the following forums:

forums.johnstonefitness.com
    www.wannabebigforums.com
    www.fortifiediron.com/invision

You can also check with some of the strongest men and women on the planet (not all of whom we sponsor):

Phil Harrington (world record squat of 903 lbs at 181 lbs)
    Donnie Thompson (3 lift total of over 2600 lbs)
    Mike Wolfe (raw 600 lbs bencher and shirted bench of 830+ lbs)
    Laura Phelps (first woman with a 10X bodyweight total!!!)
    Kara Bohigian (400+ lbs bench)
    Nick Winters (650 lbs raw bench!)
    John Stafford (2500+ lbs total in the 275 lb class)

and many, many others...

I don't sell anything that doesn't work exactly as claimed. That is why we only offer Creapure (TM) German monohydrate (Creatine 500) and not some of the other crap being sold on the market. That is why our protein blend is the best with 3 fractions of whey (isolate, hydrolyzed, and casein), casein, and egg protein.

Anyway, I don't steer people wrong and I don't sell crap.
    DAMN Brother!! That is what I love about Real Men, They won't hesiatate to back their shit up. Thanks for the Info and for Keepin' Real!!!
    SWEAT DRIES, BLOOD CLOTS, BONES HEAL, CHICKS DIG SCARS......

There will be many people who tell you that you don't even need supplements in the early stages (you just need food). Personally I'm not going to say something like that cause I didn't do it that way, no one I know stayed away from supps either. Your plan sounds fine, the only thing I would add is some omega 3-6-9's, the GNC ones are fine if that's where you shop, take at least 3 a day (one at 3 different meals). Besides that just keep consistant. After a few months (6-12 months) when you feel that your progress has slowed or that you've hit a wall then look into or ask about other supplements. What you've got right now is more than good enough to create the base you need to see the results you want.
    Currently: PowerBuilding

I actually had the same question as Seawolf. Except I don't know what any of that is. I'm on an eating plan to loose weight. Will creatine, a protein blend, and the supplements affect that eating plan? I want to gain muscle, but I also want to continue to actively loose all this damned fat. Thanks.

Ben

P.S. I just started lifting 3 weeks ago. I do my entire body every other day, and cardio on off days.

If you're trying to lose weight than you won't be able to really put on any muscle. They're on two opposite ends of the calorie spectrum. Just continue on your eating plan to lose the weight first, then work on gaining muscle. The only things/supplements you should take are a multivitamin, and possibly a protein powder if you're having trouble getting the proper amount of protein in a day. If you don't have this problem then continue with your whole foods, consistency is always the key to any program. Good luck.
    Currently: PowerBuilding

Let me ammend that. I'm trying to loose fat and gain muscle. Not just loose weight. If my body is changing for the better, then I don't mind if I'm actually holding because of fat loss + muscle gaine. So I guess my question would be this. Will these supplements hinder fat loss as they help my muscles grow? Thanks.

As long as your keeping your training intensity high and allowing for plenty of volume and continuing to lose bodyfat some LBM will come. It's difficult for me to explain the ins and outs to beginners on here but basically start an approach like this:

Bodyweight x 15 for your daily calorie allowance. This is close to your daily maintenance. Now I add or subtract 250-500 from this number to find an estimate whether you are looking to gain or cut. I've found a 35/35/30 or 40/35/25 split for calories work best for most people. Use either one.

35-40% calories protein(Chicken, Fish, Eggs(whites), Beef, Whey, Casein)
    35% calories carbohydrates(Oats, brown Rice, potatos, Bran Cereal, etc)
    25-30% calories healthy fats/EFA's(olive oil, peanut butter, nuts, fish oil, flax oil, etc)

I could have you figure out your BMR blah blah but BW x 15 is a good starter tool.

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer4Life View Post
    As long as your keeping your training intensity high and allowing for plenty of volume and continuing to lose bodyfat some LBM will come. It's difficult for me to explain the ins and outs to beginners on here but basically start an approach like this:

Bodyweight x 15 for your daily calorie allowance. This is close to your daily maintenance. Now I add or subtract 250-500 from this number to find an estimate whether you are looking to gain or cut. I've found a 35/35/30 or 40/35/25 split for calories work best for most people. Use either one.

35-40% calories protein(Chicken, Fish, Eggs(whites), Beef, Whey, Casein)
    35% calories carbohydrates(Oats, brown Rice, potatos, Bran Cereal, etc)
    25-30% calories healthy fats/EFA's(olive oil, peanut butter, nuts, fish oil, flax oil, etc)

I could have you figure out your BMR blah blah but BW x 15 is a good starter tool.

Spotter

Masters needs to come back and Leon Brown needs to win it.

i have a similar question to sea wolf. except i am strictly trying to gain around 25 pounds, preferably muscle not fat. i have been lifting intensly every other day for almost 3 months and have increased my protein intake dramaticly. but have been sitting at 183 lbs for most of these 3 months and my target weight is 200 to 205. i have tried pronabolin but it had very little results and tried stimulite with very little results. i use a creatine blend daily. does anyone know of some supplements that would provide suitable results. i dont eat dairy products hardly at all. i cant get whey protein down without puking, and hate eggs and milk. please help

don't forget plenty of consistancy. Without consistancy everything means nothing. Remember to stick with it and you'll soon answer all of your own questions.

Spotter

Bro in my opinion, keeping it 100%, at this stage focus on eating whole meals high in protein, moderate carbs, low fat, all the basics you hear. As far as supplements go you should just take a good multi vitamin, good whey protein for the morning, pre and post workout, and before bed, and drink a gallon of water a day at least. Get solid with something like that and then start messing with all the cool shit out on the market later.

in my opinion, the basics are what you need my man. creatine, glutamine, bcaa's, whey protein and a good pre-workout in my opinion is your basic supplement arsenal. if you're over the age of 35 i usually recommend a good test booster. i'm currently using all of these products made by AAEFX. and i definitely see the difference in my physique, their products are second to none. i've made phenomenal gains in just a few months using these great products. i would definitely recommend their products if you can get your hands on them.
    AAEFX BOARD REP *Free sample of AAEFX's Pre-Workout,K-OTIC,call #1-888-238-1864(ext. 345)

Nobody

I just maintain a supplement that friend suggested to me. It is a supplement for weight loss purposes. When you loss weight it can show your muscle. And maintaining my supplements plus exercise works for me. I loss a weight at the same time I gain muscle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast