Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Bro Scientist

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
    If anyone wants to try Stevia for the first time but not sure about buying a whole pack/bottle etc, send me a PM with your address. I am more than happy to post some out to you free of charge, I have already done this for a number of guys on here and it's not a problem at all for me to do that. Cheers
    I've been using xylitol. Would you recommend it over that? If so, I'll PM you.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Kontour View Post
    I've been using xylitol. Would you recommend it over that? If so, I'll PM you.
    Not necessarily, either or. Xylitol is pretty good. I can send you out some if you wanted to try it, just let me know.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by TPA
    Just looking at your resting heart rate that you post up in your training journal. When do you take it? Low 40's is very very good and representative of the great cardio shape you were in when you were running. Of course, where you are at now in the high 40's is still very good. You are doing great at 35! I figured you were in your 20's. Healthy eating and living can do that for you.

I would be very interested to hear what your recovery heart rate time is in say 30 seconds and 1 minute of rest after getting your heart rate up to around the 140-160 range. If you ever get a chance to check this I would love to hear what it is.
    I take my HR first thing when I wake up in the morning, I take it over 20secs then just multiply that by 3 to get my BPM.

I've never really monitored my heart rate in the gym; although the last year or so I have been powerlifting my actual background is in endurance sports. Mainly running ~ I'm a keen half marathoner/marathoner and ultrarunner. I've done plenty of running using a HR monitor and I normally sit in the 120-150bpm range for a typical 5min/km pace. I'd like to think my pulse rate correlates somewhat to just having generally good aerobic conditioning. I know when I was doing a lot of running (my max weeks topped out at around 150km) and as you noted it was in the low 40's most mornings back then, that's why I think the aerobic side of things probably has something to do with it.

These were my HR readings taken straight after my last set at the end of my workout (from a couple of days ago):

AFTER SET: 140bpm
    1min LATER: 100bpm
    1hr AFTER: 65bpm

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Centopani View Post
    Hey Jim-

Do you have any feelings/opinions on the use of systemic enzymes like Wobenzym? I used it years ago and felt great...all my aches and pains went away and I slept like the dead. The only thing I noticed at the time was that I felt really flat. Granted, I was following a keto diet at the time and flat wasn't too uncommon, but I felt even flatter than usual!
    Not familiar with the product but from having a look it seems to be a combination of digestive enzymes? Makes perfect sense to me and actually a good thing for a BB'er to be taking seeing how they often tend to eat large meals at regular intervals. Products such as the one you mentioned would have a host of benefits including things like reducing inflammation, bloating and flatulence (common among the BB'ers I have worked with haha), indigestion, food allergies and/or intolerance and pancreatic insufficiency (the inability for the pancreas to secrete enough enzymes into the duodenum).

Wobenzym would help to allow the breakdown of food in the digestive tract as there are specific enzymes required to break to the food down into their component parts (carbohydrates/proteins/fats) for absorption and utilisation by the body. If your digestive system is working optimally then everything else should be improved as well, possibly why you might have been sleeping better whilst you were taking it.

Just my 2c, cheers Evan.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Centopani
    Hey thanks Jim. From what I understand, these enzymes are supposed to be taken on an empty stomach are meant to work in the bloodstream rather than the digestive tract. I've heard them described as "a vacuum cleaner for your blood" Supposedly they can digest/eat up shit floating around in your blood and help your body get rid of it. I know they are HUGELY popular with people with cancer, immune disorders and thos wishing to reduce pain and inflammation. The product was originally produced in Germany by a company called Mucos Pharma but can be purchased in the US as Garden of Life has the rights to manufacture it here.

I guess what I would like to know (and I know this may sound meat headish) is would it be possible to decrease inflammation too much? To the point where it might interfere with muscle growth?
    I can believe that about the enzymes cleaning up the blood. I really don't have an answer for your question regarding decreasing inflammation to the point of interfering with muscle growth.

My logic would suggest that it could be a possibility, as I'm thinking that major reductions in inflammation would have an impact on the white blood cells (they release phagocytes which consume the damaged cells ~ less inflammation would cause the phagocytosis to be reduced). As your WBC helps to run things like immunity/activation of T cells and helps control vasodilation of blood vessels (due to release of histamine) there may be a chance that the mechanisms and/or process of muscle growth could be affected.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by June 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM View Post
    Am I right in thinking you used to eat meat? Do you know what has happened to your cholesterol and blood pressure now that you are vegetarian? Did it improve, get worse or stay as it was? You come up with some interesting stuff, don't agree with all of it but you do a good job of making it sound convincing lol.
    Thanks for the question. I haven't actually been vegetarian for that long ~ just coming up a year. The bloodwork side of things definately interested me, I assumed my new diet would change things for the better but wasn't 100% sure. I got blood taken the day before I stopped eating meat and then 6 months later.

TEST 1:
    BP: 130/70
    TOTAL CHOL: 7.5mmol (HDL very low + a high LDL reading)

TEST 2:
    BP: 120/65
    TOTAL CHOL: 4.5mmol

Not much of a change in Blood Pressure, a reading like that can't really be attributed to a change in diet. The Cholesterol was pretty convincing though, my GP was completely stunned as when the results came in from the first test he expressed his concern and actually tried to talk me into going onto statin medications. He laughed at me when I told him I was changing my diet and I'd be back in 6 months, with my cholesterol panel as bad as it was on the first test he warned me that if I didn't go onto statins then I would likely run into heart problems by the time I reach my 50's.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Jim, we've talked before about juicing veges and fruits. What are your favorite recipes, and do you have any for energy, better sleep, endurance, post workout, etc.?
    #3: Sleep

Protein powder, milk (or liquid of choice), 1 x tbsp tart cherry juice, 1 x tsp psyllium, 1,000mg GABA powder & 1 x banana.

OVERVIEW: GABA is is a highly effective natural relaxant so is a perfect choice for a late night shake. It is an amino acid and It's the primary neurotransmitter in the brain for relaxation (reduces noradrenalin, adrenalin and dopamine levels); it has also been shown to increase GH levels which is why it can be a good choice for BB'ers.

Tart cherry juice (if you can get hold of it) contains a natural source of melatonin, there are two types of cherry that contain this. Depending on the brand, you are usually looking at about 20-30ml which yields somewhere around 1mcg per 1ml. In this form it is very safe and can be used alongside prescription meds such as antidepressants and/or sleeping medication(s).

The fibre will swell in the stomach giving you a sense of fullness (so you won't feel hungry by the time you get into bed) and the banana contains minerals including magnesium, which acts as a muscle relaxant as well as being beneficial to sleeping.

juxtaposedhearts0

Jim, when will we get married?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by juxtaposedhearts0 View Post
    Jim, when will we get married?
    I'm still waiting for you to set the date. Do that and you'll be surprised at how fast things will move from there Xxx

Damn jux I thought we were two peas in a pod.
    </3
    Quote Originally Posted by modredtrenton View Post
    someone said 20 pounds of REAL muscle is all you can gain as a natty in you whole life

juxtaposedhearts0

Quote Originally Posted by TrainInsane201 View Post
    Damn jux I thought we were two peas in a pod.
    </3
    Oh fuck, how did you find this place???

Oh fuck, how did you find this place???
    I have people working on the inside for me.
    someone said 20 pounds of REAL muscle is all you can gain as a natty in you whole life

juxtaposedhearts0

Quote Originally Posted by TrainInsane201 View Post
    I have people working on the inside for me.
    I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry.
    I forgive you.. but only this once.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Default Shake recipes (cont)

#4: Energy

Protein powder, water, milk or liquid of choice, 1 x tsp spirulina powder, 1/2 tsp chia seeds, B Vitamins & 1 x banana

OVERVIEW: Spirulina has one of the richest concentration of nutrients of any plant, herb or grain. It's also a complete protein, containing all essential amino acids. The protein in spirulina is superior to all standard plant proteins. Blue green algae was one of the first organisms on the planet and it's fatty acid content closely mirrors the human brain. Some other points to note:

** Spirulina contains high levels of carotenes (including beta carotene) and xanthophylls (including zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin). Carotenoids play an important role in humans by acting as biological antioxidants, protecting cells and tissues from the effects of free radicals
    ** Contains a plant protein called phycocyanin. This powerful blue protein pigmentfound only in spirulina forms soluble complexes with iron and other minerals to increase their bioavailability in the body. Phycocyanin is about 15% of the entire weight of spirulina and is thought to have developed around a billion years before chlorophyll. Phycocyanin has antioxidant activity and is a valuable immune supporting pigment
    ** It's an excellent source of iron and the reason why the iron in spirulina is so bioavailable is because the iron forms soluble complexes with Phycocyanin. This iron-phycocyanin complex allows easier absorption by the body. Iron and Vitamin B12 levels are dependant on one another, so if the diet is good then they this isn't something that you need to be overly concerned about
    ** Rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an important Omega 6 fatty acid commonly found in flaxseed and Evening Primrose oil

Also has use for athletes and BB'ers due to spirulina's relationship with glycogen; the body’s principal source of both immediate and long term energy is glycogen which is stored in the muscles and liver and not ordinarily available directly through our diet. Glycogen forms an energy reserve that can be quickly mobilized to meet a sudden need for glucose (a fasted athlete training in the morning has enough glycogen supplies to fuel a 3hr workout). Spirulina is the only plant source of glycogen available (that I am aware of), and basically the more glycogen that's available during intense/sustained exercise then you should be optimising muscular functioning. You can use spirulina before training to concentrate the nutrients in the blood, making them available to the muscles when and where they are needed most. Daily RDI of iron for men is not much at all, varies from country to country but it usually falls somewhere between 3-10g. Easiest way to buy it is probably as a powder so you can just throw a teaspoon into your protein shake, mixes fine. Assuming that most of the big well known health stores in the States would sell it ~ and buy organic if you can. Usually that means it hasn't been fed Chilean nitrate (which is a natural fertiliser), not a big deal at all but I tend to think that organic products in general are a higher quality and often a slightly higher purity

Chia seeds ~ see the information I have given about them in the 'endurance' shake'.

B Vitamins have many roles in the body, some of which are energy production, osteoporosis, PMS, nourishment for the CNS & adrenals and they also help with the formation of red blood cells (RBC's). B Vitamins include all of the known essential water-soluble vitamins (apart from Vitamin C) and taking a combination of ALL of them together can help to ensure micronutrient deficiences as well as reducing the risk of decreasing certain B Vitamins, which can sometimes happen when you take them as singular nutrients/vitamins.

Bro Scientist

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
    Not familiar with the product but from having a look it seems to be a combination of digestive enzymes? Makes perfect sense to me and actually a good thing for a BB'er to be taking seeing how they often tend to eat large meals at regular intervals. Products such as the one you mentioned would have a host of benefits including things like reducing inflammation, bloating and flatulence (common among the BB'ers I have worked with haha), indigestion, food allergies and/or intolerance and pancreatic insufficiency (the inability for the pancreas to secrete enough enzymes into the duodenum).

Wobenzym would help to allow the breakdown of food in the digestive tract as there are specific enzymes required to break to the food down into their component parts (carbohydrates/proteins/fats) for absorption and utilisation by the body. If your digestive system is working optimally then everything else should be improved as well, possibly why you might have been sleeping better whilst you were taking it.

Just my 2c, cheers Evan.

I can believe that about the enzymes cleaning up the blood. I really don't have an answer for your question regarding decreasing inflammation to the point of interfering with muscle growth.

My logic would suggest that it could be a possibility, as I'm thinking that major reductions in inflammation would have an impact on the white blood cells (they release phagocytes which consume the damaged cells ~ less inflammation would cause the phagocytosis to be reduced). As your WBC helps to run things like immunity/activation of T cells and helps control vasodilation of blood vessels (due to release of histamine) there may be a chance that the mechanisms and/or process of muscle growth could be affected.

I just watched a good documentary about aging and it had a great section on eating an anti-inflammatory diet i.e. turmeric and ginger root I think...amongst a few others.
    Do you think that adding 10-20 grams of turmeric a day and some other natural foods that reduce inflammation could cause inflammation to drastically reduce and affect muscle growth/repair? I can't imagine it would but I can't find any info online about low levels of inflammation and muscles at all. I would think that reducing inflammation would almost never be a bad thing...I was thinking this "inflammation reducing diet" wouldn't really interfere with the acute inflammation of muscle tissue after training. I figured it would be more of a general/regulatory mechanism that essentially helps the body deal with stresses better in general. Any further thoughts or research on this?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

I just watched a good documentary about aging and it had a great section on eating an anti-inflammatory diet i.e. turmeric and ginger root I think...amongst a few others.
    Do you think that adding 10-20 grams of turmeric a day and some other natural foods that reduce inflammation could cause inflammation to drastically reduce and affect muscle growth/repair? I can't imagine it would but I can't find any info online about low levels of inflammation and muscles at all. I would think that reducing inflammation would almost never be a bad thing...I was thinking this "inflammation reducing diet" wouldn't really interfere with the acute inflammation of muscle tissue after training. I figured it would be more of a general/regulatory mechanism that essentially helps the body deal with stresses better in general. Any further thoughts or research on this?
    Firstly - I think you are operating along the right lines. I got pretty much the same question from Evan C a few weeks ago, was actually quoted in your post above haha. Turmeric is fantastic although I actually only consume 800-1,200mg a day. The concentration is very important, what I mean is that a quality supplement will probably be stronger than consuming just turmeric bought as a food. As an example, the breakdown of the turmeric I use:

Standardised turmeric root extract: 400mg (of which is 372mg/93% curcuminoids)

Hard to know how much 'food grade' turmeric you would need to consume to get that amount. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; June 27th, 2012 at 02:31 AM.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Was resveratrol one of them?..

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast