Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Congrats, brother. Next step: your own column in MD magazine.
    Thank you. Man, wouldn't that be great?

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post

NO.
    lmao..

well I can tell you mate, you do have a lot of patience and will power, when I do research it ends in a few minutes ussually...

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by June 8th, 2012, 12:24 PM
    I'm just looking to optimize my energy/focus levels and overall functioning. I'm hypothyroid (my mom has it too) and I've been on T4, endo added in very low dosage T3 about 6 months ago. Feel better, but energy just sucks toward the end of the day - weirdly enough, I also get issues w/ sleeping every couple weeks it seems. Never any pro-hormones/etc -- life-long natural at 24 y/o.

Teas - maybe relaxing/rest-promoting type of herbs. Might have a cup of green tea every few days or something when I feel like it, coffee rarely. Also get some acne issues (seems hormonal/cystic), nothing severe, but seems to clear up when I clean up my diet more and get good rest.

Thanks again
    Hypothyroidism is largely an autoimmune disease and is relatively common among women in their mid 30's and upwards, unfortunately it often goes undiagnosed. You are unlucky having it at your age (and not being a woman) but you could look at things like kelp, iodine and B Vitamins if you wanted to have a go at boosting things back up naturally? I've seen good results in raising T4 levels by using these, but always run those kind of things past your GP first though so he can keep an eye on things for you.

In terms of the teas, I'm assuming you are in the States and I don't know what you have available to you and what standards the teas are? I'd always go for loose leaf tea over ones that come in a tea bag - you will want one that contains a nice mix of herbs for stress relief as well as mental focus. Ones such as Lemon Balm, St Johns Wort (generally speaking there shouldn't be any contraindication/dangers when it's in tea form), Chamomile, Licorice, Gingko, Withania would be the types I would be looking for. We have an excellent tea brand if you can get hold of them called ARTEMIS and they have been developed to specifically help to treat certain health concerns. They possibly wouldn't be strong enough to completely remedy things on their own by they should make a difference on some level, I personally prefer to suggest using them in conjunction with other products as synergistically it should produce a better result. I would think there would be an eqivalent brand in the States? You can find more info about them here, as well as plenty of information about herbs in a loose leaf/tea form:

http://www.artemis.co.nz/remedies

Jim, you continue to out do yourself. Congrats mate...

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by June 7th, 2012, 09:13 AM
    Hey Mini Forklift. I remember you or someone made a forum regarding which herbs and products to improve your cholesterol I think you showed the dosages etc. What dosage would be beneficial for red yeast rice, and when is the best time to take it. Same for hawthorn berry, dosage and timing. I guess for all these supplements its best with food, any specific timings for post or pre workouts. Finally, the fish oil I take its "critical fish oil by Renew Life" 490 EPA and 240 DHA. total 840mg. So i take 5 pills/morning and 5pills/evening meal, so is that ratio correct? Is this company you say good? I know you show how many grams you need based on symptoms, but how much of epa and dha you actually need, not just the total omega 3.

thank you
    Okay, the main ones for cholesterol that I would be looking at are (in no order of importance):

Omega 3
    Niacin
    Red Yeast Rice
    Hawthorn
    COQ10

As far as Niacin, the highest I would safely run up to is about 500mg daily but start with around 50mg and see how you react to it. The studies tend to point to Niacin (Vitamin B3) being a little more beneficial to cholesterol rather than BP (reducing LDL and decreasing total cholesterol), and Niacin is preferable to the Non-Flush version which actually hasn't been conclusively proven to be of benefit for either. Make sure you have the flushing type (which is also known as Vitamin B3 or nicotinic acid) and not the non-flush niacin (niacinamide).

Red Yeast rice is good but again better suited for lowering cholesterol rather than BP. It has the same actions in the body as regular statins so can actually be classed as a lovastatin itself, although the key difference is that is isn't a man-made synthetic statin:

Functions:
    Promotes healthy cholesterol levels
    Supported by clinical research
    100% natural
    Natural complement to diet

It did temporarily get taken off the market I believe as it was too effective and comparable to regular statins so they tried to regulate it. But it basically falls in the 'natural medications' category as it is essentially just fermented rice, and is an excellent option along with something like the garlic and Hawthorn Berry. Nature's Sunshine make a good product that isn't too expensive and has had good research put into it and all of the contents in their products have to go through 28 separate tests before they get realeased for sale.

COQ10 is a great heart antioxidant, adverse reactions are very rare and it is a definate 'must have' for anybody that is already using statins. 150-300mg is a good daily dosage range. Your body has to convert COQ10 into ubiquinol before the body can use it, so look for the ones that ideally come as ubiquinol.

To summarise:

Red Yeast Rice - I'd be looking at taking around 1,000mg split into 2-3 doses through the day. I wouldn't personally be using this in conjunction with statin medications, I would be using one or the other but the RYR should not have any of the common side effects associated with statin medications.
    Hawthorn - Try and find one that is 'standardised' with a 2% or more vitexin content (look for that on the bottle). This way you know exactly what you are taking and that it is of a good quality and strength. 500-100mg again split into 2-3 doses through the day.
    Garlic - Kyollic is best which is basically garlic that has been aged, it has the benefit of being odourless. You want one with a good amount of Allicin present as this is anti bacterial and major biologically active component of garlic.

Yes, I would take them with a little food as generally food tends to aid absorption and decrease the chance of getting a funny stomach. Fish oil is well known for doing this if you take reasonable amounts on an empty stomach. Your fish oil looks fine, good ratios there. IMHO I am of the belief that the DHA part is the most useful one of the two... and well over 50% of our brains are formed of it
    Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; June 9th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Young Blood View Post
    Jim, you continue to out do yourself. Congrats mate...
    Thanks Curtis ~ hey I put up my new avatar just for you mate

Jim, have you ever heard of, or drank, Yerba Mate? I always have some at my house, and drink it off and on. It is great for calm-energy and also helps you get well rested with less sleep. Very good stuff IMO. Just curious if you've ever heard of it or tried it.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Jim, have you ever heard of, or drank, Yerba Mate? I always have some at my house, and drink it off and on. It is great for calm-energy and also helps you get well rested with less sleep. Very good stuff IMO. Just curious if you've ever heard of it or tried it.
    I have heard of it, never seen or tried it though.

What exactly is in it?

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Jim,
    What are your thoughts on the minimum grams of protein a day that is required to build muscle and strength?

Mass Monster

Bowden, lets try to keep the questions serious, ok? Jim's a busy man.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Bowden View Post
    Jim,
    What are your thoughts on the minimum grams of protein a day that is required to build muscle and strength?
    Well the American RDA (I believe) is 0.4g/lbs, but this is based off studies with relatively sedentary individuals.

Logic would dictate that the more active you are then the more protein is going to be required; on a base level the protein will simply be used to fascilitate muscular recovery, preventing muscle/bone loss and providing your body with what it needs to either maintain or build muscle, depending on your activity type and the intensity level.

For strength training athletes I would be looking at at least double that, so 1g/lb bodyweight and upwards. The reason I am suggesting one gram/lb bodyweight and upwards is that people that train with weights are definately going to working at least twice as hard as the sedentary person (bit of a no-brainer there), so 1g would really be just a starting point. As you increase the protein markedly past this point, there has to be some optimal point where muscle building can occur ~ the ideal combination of training stimuli and protein intake/utilisation in the body. I'd have to look at the data for this, but I would say it's impossible to set a definative number as everybody is different, both with their muscular response to training, diet and how well their digestive system is functioning. Then of course you have the different types of protein, the main two being animal and plant... there are a lot of variables to factor in.

For an experienced lifter I would probably start around the 1.5g/lb bodyweight mark and take it from there depending on their initial response to that amount.

I have heard of it, never seen or tried it though.

What exactly is in it?
    Yerba mate...lol

It's a shrub.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

casein
    http://krohdaddi.tumblr.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen
    Whatever you do, don't take a screenshot and post that pm...

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by KrohDaddi View Post
    casein
    You've already raised this with me before, but personally I don't like it.

Cancer is basically a disease caused by a mass of clonal cells and casein seem to have the potential to speed up the growth rate of cancer tumor cells (1, 2, 3); with cancer cells containing the full range of biomolecules needed for survival, consuming something that could give them any additional help in growing and survival makes no sense to me.

References to cancer and casein:

1) The International Journal of Cancer
    2)
    The China Study, 2003
    3)
    The Cancer Atlas Survey

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Make sense? I'm presuming you wanted me to give my viewpoint on casein ~ I'm not keen on it.

YES.

Man, I've heard this question so many times lol! The way I see it is if there's a tree that has fallen over in the woods and it's in our own dimension of space of time, then it must have made some degree of sound regardless of whether there was anybody there or not.

NO.
    The question goes much, much deeper than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik133 View Post

This is bodyBUILDING, not getting a bag of shit into condition building.

Nobody

isn't the China Study extremely flawed? here is a review: http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/08/06/fin...response-html/

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast