Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Nothing wrong with being vegan, it's a matter of personal preference and personal morality. I said "typical vegan propaganda" in consequence of your attempt to promote casein [milk] as a cancer-causing substance.
    I am curious to know what constitutes "typical vegan propaganda". I hope you can recognise that vegans are not homogenous. For example, I am vegan but not for health reasons (frankly, it is my belief that the health dimension is overstated, and I am vegan because I believe in animal rights and protecting our environment).

MF, curious to know your take on supplements, e.g. The creatines, bcaa's, of the industry. I have tried creation, glutamine, and bcaa's, and in my experience the tangible benefits were non-existent. I still drink the kool-aid to a certain extent, but it's largely a placebo effect as far as I am concerned.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by 456Mike View Post
    Thoughts on D-Asparic acid being used as a test booster for natties? Or any other alternatives for natties?
    I really thought this product would filter through to where I work but it hasn't. In NZ at least it's still relatively new, and apart from reading a couple of articles about DAA on the net and a write up in MD I'll say it looks promising. Haven't read into any studies on it yet with regards to increasing testosterone but with that being one of its' claims then I would think there's probably something in it.

To quickly explain, free unbound testosterone is what you are looking to try to increase and that comprises only 1-3% of total testosterone (it's only the free testosterone that is linked to muscle gains and strength). The goal is to try and favourably alter the ratio of free testosterone to bound testosterone, with test boosters this can often occur due to the adrenal cortex being able to produce more of the C19 hormone ~ a precursor to testosterone. I have read up on a few natural herbs that claim to promote testosterone, and the ones that appear to have merit IMHO would be fenugreek, tribulus (with a 40%+ saponin content) and B Dimers.

So could DAA be a good choice for a natty? Yeah, synergistically it's quite likely to be something that could combo quite well with your basics like protein & creatine. I assume that over the next year or so it will gain more credibility, hopefully that will yield some clinical studies being done on it using athletes. Many people on here have praised it so I'd be keen to look into it further.

great thread. glad MF has one now
    "Feel ill as fuck - not sure if it is protein powder or tren?"-bigdog123

Quote Originally Posted by heavyiron View Post
    Guys, lets keep the thread away from personal attacks and past differences.

Kroh you have said your piece but its time for your squabble to end. Any further posts from Kroh in MF Q and A will result in a banning.

Thanks

What about all the guys personally attacking Kroh, are they going to get the ban hammer too? This site has a horrible double standard, it's run more like a popularity contest than anything else. Threatening Kroh with a ban is absolute bullshit. There are several posters on here that blatantly violate MD rules daily but get away with it because they are 'popular' on here, but if someone like Kroh, who some posters have a personal grudge against, makes a post with even a little bit of an attacking tone to it, out come the ban threats and infractions.

Don't get me wrong, I like Jim (MF), he is a really nice supportive guy. He has always been great to me. But that doesn't mean I agree with his dietary/lifestyle views. In fact I tend to agree somewhat with Kroh. Kroh probably could have stated his case in a much less attacking manner, but he raises important topics, things that should be discussed. When an open discussion can take place, everyone learns, even if people have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead View Post
    What about all the guys personally attacking Kroh, are they going to get the ban hammer too? This site has a horrible double standard, it's run more like a popularity contest than anything else. Threatening Kroh with a ban is absolute bullshit. There are several posters on here that blatantly violate MD rules daily but get away with it because they are 'popular' on here, but if someone like Kroh, who some posters have a personal grudge against, makes a post with even a little bit of an attacking tone to it, out come the ban threats and infractions.
    This x2.
    "I think Arnold had the sexiest body of all time... Arnold had that charming boy look and a body of a stallion"-google&pubmed

Don't get me wrong, I like Jim (MF), he is a really nice supportive guy. He has always been great to me. But that doesn't mean I agree with his dietary/lifestyle views. In fact I tend to agree somewhat with Kroh. Kroh probably could have stated his case in a much less attacking manner, but he raises important topics, things that should be discussed. When an open discussion can take place, everyone learns, even if people have to agree to disagree.
    If you see other posts that violate the rules use the report post feature and a mod will look into it. I don't really have any grudges with Kroh, I just want to see the Q and A respected and after numerous complaints I read the thread and made the call.

Yeah, I personally eat meat myself. The more the better so I would not lean at all towards the vegan lifestyle myself.

Anyway, I like your point. Let's agree to disagree about the past squabble and move forward.

Thanks
    All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Quote Originally Posted by dave415 View Post
    QFT.. no worries, they'll both be in the Pit battling.
    The pit is the perfect place for this content. I'll be drinking some beers and reading the carnage tonight...
    All posts are for entertainment and may contain fiction. Consult a doctor before using any medication.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday, 07:58 AM
    Hey,

What do you think of detox/clense/fasting? What do you think are the best ways to go about it?
    There's two schools of thought on detoxing; one that claims it isn't needed and unnecessary as the body is effective at doing its' own detox (if it didn't we probably wouldn't last very long). The other group claims that benefits can be derived from it and it is probably something that most people could do with from time to time.

Personally I can see both points ~ yes, the human body is excellent at cleaning the blood, renewing iron supplies and filtering toxins for removal. However this process becomes impaired by external factors such as diet, stress, alcohol etc etc, it still gets done but not as effectively. For someone that drinks coffee and/or alcohol moderately, has the odd bit of takeaway food, is exposed to stress of any degree (wouldn't think there would be many of us that aren't) and trains hard on a regular basis then it can have its' place. It doesn't need to be too drastic in terms of what you have to take and there are a variety of options, but doing a mild detox once a year could offer some people potential benefits. It makes sense that if you body is being run on clean blood then it will be able to utilise the nutrients from food better, you'll have a more optimal blood flow to the heart as well as the quality of your skin usually improves for a lot of people.

I do agree with the basic principles of fasting although there are different degrees of fasting and often a lot of them are quite subjective. To me a fast is going without food but with freshly juiced vegetables & fruit being allowed. Probably the most common combination of vegetables to juice is carrot, celery and beetroot; fantastic for cleansing and building the blood as well as helping to lower BP.

Carrots are well known for their high phytonutrient content, beta carotene being the main one everyone associates them with. They have been shown to potentially inhibit the growth of cancer cells (studies have mainly been done on colon cancer but much more testing is needed), this seems to be mainly ocurring from a few of the more abundant polyacetylenes. Vision health has been well linked to them over the years as well as helping to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease due to the high concentrations of antioxidants present.

Celery is low in calories and again packed with phytonutrients, fibre and Vitamins A and C. Fantastic for the kidneys and renal funtioning, as well as being used for lowering BP due to it's magnesium, potassium and calcium content.

Beetroot is rich in phytonutrient pigments called Betalains; these are nitrogen rich, water soluble plant pigments which have many roles in the body including protection against CVD and being a natural anti-inflammatory. Beetroot has been shown in studies to increase glutathione peroxide as well as other antioxidant enzymes which can lower homocysteine levels in the blood (homocysteine can damage artery walls which over time can lead to artherosclerosis). As long as homocysteine is converted back in methionine or cystathione then the build of it shouldn't occur, but the availability of TMG in beets can further help lower the levels that are in the blood.

Betroot also contains nitrate in the juice which converts to Nitric Oxide in the body ~ great for athletes, especially BB'ers.

Hope some of this helps

References:

Purup S, Larsen E and Christensen LP. Differential Effects of Falcarinol and Related Aliphatic C17-Polyacetylenes on Intestinal Cell Proliferation. J Agric Food Chem. 2009 September 23; 57(18): 8290"8296. 2009.
    Last edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ; June 10th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Celery and beets are both great BP lowering veggies. Beets are great, if you haven't eaten them before, don't be alarmed by your bright pink/red poop and urine.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Celery and beets are both great BP lowering veggies. Beets are great, if you haven't eaten them before, don't be alarmed by your bright pink/red poop and urine.
    Cheers, forgot to mention that bit haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
    Cheers, forgot to mention that bit haha.

I only mentioned it because a friend of mine freaked out recently, thought he had blood in his urine, was ready to go to the ER before I told him it was just the beets, lol. I can't believe how many people there are that don't eat vegetables at all. A couple buddies of mine only eat veg if they come over to my place for dinner, which is rarely.

Jim, we've talked before about juicing veges and fruits. What are your favorite recipes, and do you have any for energy, better sleep, endurance, post workout, etc.?
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday, 10:49PM
    some of the things in your thread cover some interesting points. i dont agree with a lot of the stuff you say about meat casuing disease. can you please show me one proper doctor that promotes the same stuff as you do?
    "Clinical researcher and author Neal Barnard, M.D., is one of America’s leading advocates for health, nutrition, and higher standards in research. As the principal investigator of several human clinical research trials, whose results are published in peer-reviewed medical and scientific journals, Dr. Barnard has examined key issues in health and nutrition.

600070_446927818658260_528605632_n.jpg

Neal Barnard is the founder and president of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM). Dr. Barnard is also president of The Cancer Project, a nonprofit organization advancing cancer prevention and survival through nutrition education and research."

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Yesterday, 11:32PM
    Hi Mini, I remember reading that you don't use sugar although I can't remember why. What is your take on sugar that is in soft drinks, muesli bars and stuff like that compared to sugar from fruit? You always say to keep your fruit intake high but have you worked out how much sugar is in the fruits? Would this not be a bad thing for our bodies? Sugar is sugar, so why is eating a cereal bar not as healthy as eating a bowl of fruit? Thanks
    Haven't used sugar for probably a year or so as I figured I was getting enough through the foods I eat. For tea, coffee and things like that I just add in stevia ~ if you can't find that then Xylitol is also a good natural sugar substitute.

Cereals (and I'm talking popular, mainstream ones rather than your raw, all natural organic muesli) and any other processed, refined, man-made food contains sugar. This tends to be in the form of things such as added sugar (glucose, sucralose, corn syrup, dextrose etc etc) which isn't overly great. You'll get a nice fat spike in your blood sugar level and so your pancreas will blast out insulin in order to try and regulate your blood sugar levels. After this has all taken place, the insulin has met the sugar, they've had a few wines and a chat and gone home for the night then you get the dip in blood sugar level (3-4pm is a classic time for this to happen, cheesecake companies need to get something happening in this hour as they could make a real killing from grumpy, dopey and hungry women).

As you correctly stated, yes fruit does contain sugar. BUT you eat a piece of fruit and the fibre from the banana, fibre and pectin from the apple or whatever you are eating slows down the release rate of the sugars into your bloodstream. The other advantage with eating fruit that you don't have from eating the processed food (which incidentally may even contain the same/less amount of sugar than the fruit), is that the fruit comes complete with all of its' natural cofactors, minerals, antioxidants, vitamins and phytonutrients that are in their whole, complete form for your body to absorb. It has been shown and proven (there was an Alzheimers study done in Europe with 193 healthy people ranging in age from 45 to 102), that people who eat a high intake of fruit have better cognitive and memory functioning than minimal fruit eaters because their blood contained higher antioxidant and phytonutrient plasma levels. Interesting part is that the groups that ate the HIGHEST intake of fruit also had the best blood glucose readings and the least chance of developing Type II Diabetes. I would be willing to be a dollar that if they switched the fruit out to cereal bars or another sugary energy food the results would not be the same.

Amazing to think that the cells in our body require ZERO sugar to function, yet every year in New Zealand kiwi's go through 500 million litres of soft drinks.

Jim,
    Just wanted to throw a couple comments out about chicken as a protein source. Most of the protein I get comes from chicken and there are a couple reasons why I prefer it over beef.
    1) Chicken is the most abundant source of the essential fatty acid lineolic acid found in animal protein sources. Eating chicken would obviate any need for supplementation of LA.
    2) Chickens cannot bioaccumulate as many toxins as cows due to their smaller size and much shorter life span before slaughter. Most environmental toxins are hydrophobic molecules and are therefore more fat soluble than water soluble. This makes them harder to eliminate and causes them to accumulate in adipose tissue.

Apart from that, the biochemistry of proteins in beef v. chicken is almost identical.

So hypothetically speaking, IF somebody were to eat meat as a protein source do you think chicken would be a better choice than beef?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Langmuir View Post
    Jim,
    Just wanted to throw a couple comments out about chicken as a protein source. Most of the protein I get comes from chicken and there are a couple reasons why I prefer it over beef.
    1) Chicken is the most abundant source of the essential fatty acid lineolic acid found in animal protein sources. Eating chicken would obviate any need for supplementation of LA.
    2) Chickens cannot bioaccumulate as many toxins as cows due to their smaller size and much shorter life span before slaughter. Most environmental toxins are hydrophobic molecules and are therefore more fat soluble than water soluble. This makes them harder to eliminate and causes them to accumulate in adipose tissue.

Apart from that, the biochemistry of proteins in beef v. chicken is almost identical.

So hypothetically speaking, IF somebody were to eat meat as a protein source do you think chicken would be a better choice than beef?
    Yes, I would be thinking along the same lines as you there; if I was going to be eating more of one meat than another then it would be chicken.

You made a valid point about the size of the animal and relative to toxin accumulation, the other thing that comes to my mind in favour of chicken is the digestibility rates of meat; chicken being both faster and easier to digest (around 2hrs versus 3-4hrs for beef). General rule is the darker the meat the harder it is for the body to break down and digest, this is why when a lot of your older people have a colonic done they find out they've got plenty of undigested dark meat that gets emitted! By middle age people have anywhere between 2-15lb of undigested faecal matter stuck in their colon, and that's after a bowel motion. I'd be looking at making chicken, turkey and fish comprise the main bulk of your meal with your pork, beef, steak etc a little more limited.

Nice post, thanks for that

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by RonanD View Post
    do you consider the sublimation of sexual energy important for health and strength? most men ejaculate too much draining there bodys and minds of an important source of life and strength. Interested in hearing your thoughts as its never discussed on muscular development which supports the more sex the better attitude.
    I personally think that on a spiritual level your statement holds true.

From a scientific perspective it's my understanding that frequent, regular ejaculations are beneficial for testosterone production. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, I don't think there are that many studies that have been done on what happens to testosterone levels after sexual activity? However it is widely accepted that sexual stimulus triggers a rise in serum testosterone in both men and women. Abstaining from sexual activity apparently has little effect on testosterone levels, although I would take a guess that long term abstinence would cause a decrease in total testosterone.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast