Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Default Q&A with Mini Forklift Ⓥ

After seeing how much mini forklift had to say on the issue of health & all things related to it, it seemed only fitting to get him into a Q & A where he can answer some questions asked of him for the public. It will give his inbox a much needed break.

So lets get it on

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

Jim, where does all your knowledge come from??

Jim, why is your name Jim?

This thread will be very valuable. MF, in your opinion - what vitamins and health supplements should we be taking for health purposes? (non-enhanced and enhanced athletes).

in b4 kroh
    Quote Originally Posted by villan View Post
    i will delete all posts about me in the pit,i am being bullied and there is no choice left

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Thanks guys. I'll try and get to this at least once a day and answer whatever is asked, there's a few PM's I might also answer here here if I can see they will be of benefit to others on the board (I'll just leave the username of the sender out of it).

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by D-NUTZ View Post
    Jim, why is your name Jim?
    A couple of weeks before I was borm, my father had a strong premonition that I was going to enjoy lots of squatting, benching & deadlifting. For three days he was plagued by images of dumbbells and the sound of iron plates, he really worried my mother for a while there.

They decided to changed the spelling on my Birth Certificate from 'Gym' to 'Jim' and it's kinda just stuck.

Congrats, brother. Next step: your own column in MD magazine.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Mass Monster

Jim, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?

Mass Monster

Jim, the first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. My question is this: Getting "fired up" for a set or lift at a meet, is this a waste of time since we cannot create energy to achieve desired number of reps and/or lift? Thanks.

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

Did Jesus help you with your lifts?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by TheLion View Post
    This thread will be very valuable. MF, in your opinion - what vitamins and health supplements should we be taking for health purposes? (non-enhanced and enhanced athletes).
    There are many out there that have merits in terms of being beneficial for health, definately the main two that I would be encouraging anybody to be taking is a good quality multivitamin/mineral/antioxidant complex (absorption is actually more important than the strength of the ingredients IMO) and a good quality oil. With your multivitamin you should be wanting one that doesn't contain any synthetic fillers and uses ingredients derived from natural sources. Solgar's VM2000 for example uses brocolli and oat bran as a binder to hold their tablets together ~ this also means that your body is going to recognise it as food so the absorption is automatically going to be better. A quality multi is a good, basic insurance for ensuring you are meeting your dietary needs.

Unless someone is a vegan then Omega 3 is usually the best option out of all the oils; your body doesn't have to convert any of the components of the oil before it can use them (flaxseed oil for example has to be converted and women tend to be a little better at doing this than men). Today people tend to be more deficient in Omega 3 than the others so I would recommend a good quality oil ideally with a high DHA content (DHA is important for brain and eye health as well as helping reduce muscular inflammation amongst other things). Someone asked me about molecular distillation and whether it was a good thing or not? I'm kind of on he fence with this question as there's both good and bad in terms of trying to refine fish oil.

One of the main advantages is that it helps to remove heavy metals and other potentially dangerous environmental toxins; Mercury is the one we all know about, although there's many heavy metals that are often naturally present that never really get mentioned. The different components of the oil are able to be split during the distillation process, which allows for greater purity and ultimately will result in better absorption and utilisation by the body.

The negatives would primarily be the cost of the process, and despite more and more brands of fish oil coming onto the market the cost of the actual refining the oil is still high. Your cheaper companies that mollecularly distill their oils can quite often lose the natural triglyceride form during the process, this is why with Omega 3 you do get what you pay for.

I'm not personally against molecular distillation if it is done to extremely high standards ~ the key points that need to be met and ensured is that a) there is no heat, moisture and high compaction during the distillation process as this can adulterate the biological activity of the nutrients b) avoiding commonly used fillers, binders and synthetic additives such as polyvinylpyrrolidone, crospovidone, rancid oils, yeast, wheat starch (gluten), soy, dairy protein (casein) c) the filters that are used need to be of high standard, and also that in any high concentrate products there needs to be only natural enzymes used (these are used to form triglycerides).

Here's two examples of what I consider to be both a very high standard of fish oil:

The Solgar product does not use mollecular distillation whereas the Nordic Naturals product does. I would have no issues using either of them. Depends on what you are using it for but 3,000mg is a good starting point for most. There's a fair bit of information specifically on Omega 3 oil here, I wrote this up last month:

http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...65#post3069565

Other 'health' supplements I would consider tend to be more specific in relation to the health concern ~ Cholesterol and BP I would be thinking along the lines of Red Yeast Rice, Kyollic Garlic, Hawthorn (any herbs are best when they have been 'standardised'), Niacin/Vitamin B3 and COQ10. If you can afford to you should be using COQ10 as Ubiquinol, as this is what form your body needs it to be in before it can use it. Another point to bear in mind is that COQ10 can also come in synthetic or natural forms (many of the natural forms are produced from fermented tobacco leaves eblieve it or not). Optimal Liver functioning I would be going for herbs like Milk Thistle, Dandelion, Globe artichoke whilst increasing your intake of bitter/fermented foods.

How low of bodyfat is too low for health? Some ppl see a sunken face and think it's unhealthy. just your opinion.
    The world's best spoon's player

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by viciousV View Post
    Jim, the first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. My question is this: Getting "fired up" for a set or lift at a meet, is this a waste of time since we cannot create energy to achieve desired number of reps and/or lift? Thanks.
    I kind of feel that this depends on the individual. If you have ever been to a Powerlifting meet and observed the people that lift you will see that people approach their big lifts in different ways. Sure, some of them (quite often the big guys for some reason) like to jump, yell, raise their hands in the air and generally make a big scene. Good for encouraging audience participation but I'm not convinced that it has any definate effect on maximal energy recruitment or tansferral.

I think that kind of outward display can have use early on in a lifters journey, but as they gain knowledge, confidence and experience I would assume that the benefits of it would decrease. I guess to illustrate that point you could look at a lot of the experienced guys that have been competing for years, they tend to be more composed and more introverted with their approach to a maximal lift; while I wouldn't say I am massively experienced or a seasoned lifter I'm not one for making lots of noise, to me it would be wasting energy rather than producing it ?!

As Brian Sipe once said, "The only way to maximize potential for performance is to be calm in the mind."

Mass Monster

I was dickin' around. But great answer, Jim! Lol seriously, I agree. It's all in the preparation and in the mind.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by viciousV View Post
    Jim, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it still make a sound?
    YES.

Man, I've heard this question so many times lol! The way I see it is if there's a tree that has fallen over in the woods and it's in our own dimension of space of time, then it must have made some degree of sound regardless of whether there was anybody there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo Marinčić View Post
    Did Jesus help you with your lifts?
    NO.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo Marinčić View Post
    Jim, where does all your knowledge come from??
    Firstly I am not a nutritionist, dietician or doctor. I am a qualified Personal Trainer with more than 10yrs hands on experience in the health, fitness and wellness sector that lectures to both the general public and other professionals in the industry. I am also lucky enough to attend at least one or two seminars a year that are presented by some of NZ's (and occasionally America's) leading doctors and experts in their field of health.

I have been collecting studies relating to science, health and longevity for many years, and it is the results from a lot of those that I have drawn my own opinion as well as having a bookshelf full of nutrition, herb and vitamin books/manuals that have all been read at one stage or another! Some of the better ones that I often find myself going back to would be:

Anything by Patrick Holford ('Optimum Nutrition' is a great read, very informative). He has writen dozens of books:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Holford#Books

'Prescription For Nutritional Healing' by Phyllis and James F. Balch (I have the third edition)

'Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements' by Michael Murray

'Healing with Whole Foods' by Paul Pitchford

'The Nutrient Bible' by Henry Osiecki

'Nutrition Almanac' by Gayla & John Kirschmann (From memory it's the fourth edition that I have)

Once the college reopens (severely damaged after the February earthquake) I am pre-enrolled to study Clinical Nutrition, an area which fascinates me.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast