Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Do You Train Arms On a Separate Day?

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 64.66%
  • No

47 35.34%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Arm Day: Yes or No

(Not surprised)

No but I am powerlifting so my answer doesn't really count.

Mr.Leniw.....

You can have your own arm day... but what I did for a sometime was DC type training for arms after chest or back. After training those major body parts everything is all warmed up..... and I'll pick 3 excercises..... usually some sort of barbell curl, cable curl, and I'll finish up with hammers. That would be something for Bi. I usually went pretty heavy and never went too high above 12 reps. Ironically doing a that type of workout sometimes left my arms more sore then the major body part sometimes.

Bro Scientist

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwolf00 View Post
    Mr.Leniw.....

You can have your own arm day... but what I did for a sometime was DC type training for arms after chest or back. After training those major body parts everything is all warmed up..... and I'll pick 3 excercises..... usually some sort of barbell curl, cable curl, and I'll finish up with hammers. That would be something for Bi. I usually went pretty heavy and never went too high above 12 reps. Ironically doing a that type of workout sometimes left my arms more sore then the major body part sometimes.
    Here's the problem with that. If a guy is really working on arms because his are very small/weak, doing your DC style may not work very well. I've tried it, many have. The results weren't nearly as good as having arms on their own day (for a guy with poor arm genetics). Here is my reasoning/broscience for triceps and can be applied to back/biceps too:

How many people would run sprints for 30-45 minutes and then do a leg session right after? Not many bc those sprints don't just "warm up" the legs, they tire them.
    Hitting chest hard with many pressing movements starts to tire the tris without really pumping them like isolation exercises. By the time your chest workout is over, going and hitting tris will result in using less weight and less reps. It makes more sense to me to hit one triceps exercise after chest to get them a great pump and then hit triceps a 3-4 days later on their own or with biceps. You probably wouldn't get it though Mr. 20s. haha. I've been experimenting with all this arm business so this is all from experience and having shitty arm genetics. I'm starting to think it was more my training and nutrition though. After a lot of reading, I realized I was never fully hitting the long head of my triceps and this resulted in weak/small triceps. Now I've been doing 2 over the head movements every triceps workout and pronated kickbacks and the long head of my triceps is much thicker and harder in only 1 month.
    I also did a lot of retarded biceps exercises and recently went back to heavy ez bar curls, heavy hammers, and moderate incline dumbbell curls and that's helped a lot too.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Nope.

having an "arm day" has helped me big time. i think its beneficial if done right.
    Hard work + Dedication= MORE MUSCLE.(and haters)

Care to explain what exactly is DC for Arms?

1 set warm-up 10-12 reps?
    2 sets 6-8 reps?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwolf00 View Post
    Mr.Leniw.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kontour View Post
    Here's the problem with that. If a guy is really working on arms because his are very small/weak, doing your DC style may not work very well. I've tried it, many have. The results weren't nearly as good as having arms on their own day (for a guy with poor arm genetics). Here is my reasoning/broscience for triceps and can be applied to back/biceps too:

How many people would run sprints for 30-45 minutes and then do a leg session right after? Not many bc those sprints don't just "warm up" the legs, they tire them.
    Hitting chest hard with many pressing movements starts to tire the tris without really pumping them like isolation exercises. By the time your chest workout is over, going and hitting tris will result in using less weight and less reps. It makes more sense to me to hit one triceps exercise after chest to get them a great pump and then hit triceps a 3-4 days later on their own or with biceps. You probably wouldn't get it though Mr. 20s. haha. I've been experimenting with all this arm business so this is all from experience and having shitty arm genetics. I'm starting to think it was more my training and nutrition though. After a lot of reading, I realized I was never fully hitting the long head of my triceps and this resulted in weak/small triceps. Now I've been doing 2 over the head movements every triceps workout and pronated kickbacks and the long head of my triceps is much thicker and harder in only 1 month.
    I also did a lot of retarded biceps exercises and recently went back to heavy ez bar curls, heavy hammers, and moderate incline dumbbell curls and that's helped a lot too.
    First off, IMO yes I like to have a day dedicated to arms. For one, who doesn't like training arms? 2, I've tried doing them after back or after chest with less than stellar results compared to their own day.

Now, in response to Kontour, for me my best results for arms has always been high reps and a weight I can completely control for the stretch and contraction throughout without gettin any other muscle groups involved like shoulders etc (within reason of course. I know at a point you can't help it). For example, yesterday my incline DB curls were used with 20s. I feel like my arms are probably my best body parts as well. I also really like doing supersets for arms and cables bc I feel they keep a good constant tension.

Just my .02...
    A standard is set when performance is taken to a new level.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
    i always hit bi's / tri's in their own workout.. after i have done chest and back
    This.

I think I'll stick with chest/tris and back/bis and throw in a separate arm day every other week just to shock them.
    Quote Originally Posted by modredtrenton View Post
    someone said 20 pounds of REAL muscle is all you can gain as a natty in you whole life

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Bicep View Post
    No but I am powerlifting so my answer doesn't really count.
    Same, but I still chucked in a 'No' vote FWIW.

Bro Scientist

Quote Originally Posted by MEAT ROCKET View Post
    First off, IMO yes I like to have a day dedicated to arms. For one, who doesn't like training arms? 2, I've tried doing them after back or after chest with less than stellar results compared to their own day.

Now, in response to Kontour, for me my best results for arms has always been high reps and a weight I can completely control for the stretch and contraction throughout without gettin any other muscle groups involved like shoulders etc (within reason of course. I know at a point you can't help it). For example, yesterday my incline DB curls were used with 20s. I feel like my arms are probably my best body parts as well. I also really like doing supersets for arms and cables bc I feel they keep a good constant tension.

Just my .02...
    Yeah, I do light weight on exercises like incline dumbbell curls. 20-25s. Barbell curls thought I go heavy if it's first exercise. Heavy means a weight I can do slow and controlled for 8-10 reps. Usually the 80-100lb ez bar suffices. So I agree w what you're saying. I never go balls to the wall branch warren style on arms. Not trying to hurt myself. But super light weight for triceps didn't work for me. Heavier has helped and finding the right exercises.

I actually agree with you.... I was just giving him another option on how to hit arms. I know he hasn't practiced that method. But what I will add is.... have your DC day(s) on a Monday or Tuesday.... then a high volume 4-5 excercises 4-5 sets about 3-4 days later so your hitting arms twice in about 7 days. I use to hit arms twice a week this way..... and that honestly resulted in the biggest arms I've had, if that makes any sense. I was also a little fat too

Quote Originally Posted by v117 View Post
    Care to explain what exactly is DC for Arms?

1 set warm-up 10-12 reps?
    2 sets 6-8 reps?
    Pretty much. I'll do a moderate set since I'm loose and hit arms that way. I'll add or subtract sets based on how I feel.

Yeah, I do light weight on exercises like incline dumbbell curls. 20-25s. Barbell curls thought I go heavy if it's first exercise. Heavy means a weight I can do slow and controlled for 8-10 reps. Usually the 80-100lb ez bar suffices. So I agree w what you're saying. I never go balls to the wall branch warren style on arms. Not trying to hurt myself. But super light weight for triceps didn't work for me. Heavier has helped and finding the right exercises.
    Yeah, it's all kinda relative i suppose. I mean, I'm a "form nazi" regardless but there are exercises i will go heavier on for tris, such as CGBB or overhead DB.
    A standard is set when performance is taken to a new level.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

I love heavy CGBP, I'll often use it as a supplementary exercise for my bench. I actually prefer incline CGBP, great exercise if you've never tried them before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
    I love heavy CGBP, I'll often use it as a supplementary exercise for my bench. I actually prefer incline CGBP, great exercise if you've never tried them before.
    those ^ tend to cause me too much elbow pain...i like decline CGBP or CG floor press.

besides doing those or JM press/bb curls, i hate training arms bcuz that section of the gym of over-run by the bro's
    I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

yes arm day
    "When a vacuum was a badge of honor." - Pecan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast