Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 187 of 315

Thread: "It works for me"

  1. #171
    MD staff Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    One thousand calories below maintenance
    Posts
    19,920
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffbro View Post
    I'm not sure too many people actually watched the video before commenting on it. I think the phrase "it works for me" set most people off. He isn't saying "what works for me" is wrong and what YOU are doing is wrong and you should do things his way. Instead, what he is saying is don't just listen to someone solely based on "it works for me so it should work for you too" because it may not be OPTIMAL.

    Yes, he is totally abrasive and up his own ass full of himself. I hate him as a person but I love the information he gives in his videos. He is very controversial for this as well as not being in the greatest of shape. If he was a nice, humble guy in good shape nobody would even give a shit.
    I looked at the video.
    Look at his incline dumb bell fly form at the bottom of the ROM at around 03:41. in that video.
    If you think that based on that form and the compromised position of his shoulder joints that his information is good and that he knows what he is doing , then feel free to follow his recommendations.
    No thanks, "shoulder injury doesn't work for me" and feel free to quote me on that.

  2. #172
    Amateur Threat CHOSEN01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,607
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    The problem with kids like this is that they read a thousand studies saying "Hey! 12-15 reps for 4 sets is the go to for building muscle!" And over the last couple years I've really found that to be bullshit. I feel that rep range is for refining the muscle after it's already there.
    Anytime you see a big guy he started with the heavy, HEAVY basics. Getting strong at the start is number one in my book. If you can't lay down on a bench and triple drop from 315 before you start the high rep ALL THE TIME shit then what the fuck is the point? Sure there will be guys who are the exception who can build doing whatever but this kid is obviously not the exception...

  3. #173
    Iron Addict farrellzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,270
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHOSEN01 View Post
    The problem with kids like this is that they read a thousand studies saying "Hey! 12-15 reps for 4 sets is the go to for building muscle!" And over the last couple years I've really found that to be bullshit. I feel that rep range is for refining the muscle after it's already there.
    Anytime you see a big guy he started with the heavy, HEAVY basics. Getting strong at the start is number one in my book. If you can't lay down on a bench and triple drop from 315 before you start the high rep ALL THE TIME shit then what the fuck is the point? Sure there will be guys who are the exception who can build doing whatever but this kid is obviously not the exception...
    Strength means very little vs lighter weight/higher volume shit

  4. #174
    Iron Addict Nik133's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHOSEN01 View Post
    The problem with kids like this is that they read a thousand studies saying "Hey! 12-15 reps for 4 sets is the go to for building muscle!" And over the last couple years I've really found that to be bullshit. I feel that rep range is for refining the muscle after it's already there.
    Anytime you see a big guy he started with the heavy, HEAVY basics. Getting strong at the start is number one in my book. If you can't lay down on a bench and triple drop from 315 before you start the high rep ALL THE TIME shit then what the fuck is the point? Sure there will be guys who are the exception who can build doing whatever but this kid is obviously not the exception...
    The way he says people should train is def retarded if you don't already have a good base or aren't on drugs. People should ignore his training philosophies and focus on his nutritional/supplement/biomechanical knowledge.

  5. #175
    ANIMAL naturalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,941
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farrellzach View Post
    Strength means very little vs lighter weight/higher volume shit
    oh really, you think that is true for everyone? See this is where "if it works for me" applies, sorry Ian
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

  6. #176
    Iron Addict farrellzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,270
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    oh really, you think that is true for everyone? See this is where "if it works for me" applies, sorry Ian
    Do you truly believe your muscle knows the difference between 6-10 reps with 50lb dumbells vs 10-15 with 40lb dumbells?

    It's all stress on the muscle, why would one contribute to better gains than the other?

  7. #177
    Amateur Threat CHOSEN01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,607
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farrellzach View Post
    Do you truly believe your muscle knows the difference between 6-10 reps with 50lb dumbells vs 10-15 with 40lb dumbells?

    It's all stress on the muscle, why would one contribute to better gains than the other?
    K. Bodybuilding fan boy who can't bench 300.

    Try it. Try deadlifting 135 for 12-15 SLOW, CONTROLLED reps and let me know how huge you are compared to me doing 495 for 6-8.

    Side fricken note, your body does know a difference. The heavier the load the greater the hormonal response.

  8. #178
    Iron Addict farrellzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,270
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHOSEN01 View Post
    K. Bodybuilding fan boy who can't bench 300.

    Try it. Try deadlifting 135 for 12-15 SLOW, CONTROLLED reps and let me know how huge you are compared to me doing 495 for 6-8.

    Side fricken note, your body does know a difference. The heavier the load the greater the hormonal response.
    Right, because in bodybuilding your natural hormone response is what makes you grow. Not the exogenous hormones you pump in.

  9. #179
    Amateur Threat CHOSEN01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,607
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik133 View Post
    The way he says people should train is def retarded if you don't already have a good base or aren't on drugs. People should ignore his training philosophies and focus on his nutritional/supplement/biomechanical knowledge.
    All "studies" are done on people who don't train at all or minimally. We all remember when we started and gained 50 pounds in a year. It slows down, what it comes down to before drugs is causing your body to release the max amount of hormones possible which is achieved through using greater amounts of weight.

    I don't give two shits if there's a study backing one over the other. I've done both, I've gained A LOT more dense muscle after switching to a more HIT style focusing on heavy basics.

  10. #180
    Amateur Threat CHOSEN01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,607
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farrellzach View Post
    Right, because in bodybuilding your natural hormone response is what makes you grow. Not the exogenous hormones you pump in.
    We're talking natty right now child. That kid is natty...hopefully.

  11. #181
    MD staff Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    One thousand calories below maintenance
    Posts
    19,920
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farrellzach View Post
    Do you truly believe your muscle knows the difference between 6-10 reps with 50lb dumbells vs 10-15 with 40lb dumbells?

    It's all stress on the muscle, why would one contribute to better gains than the other?
    Have you ever noticed the differences in the appearance of the physique of someone that trains with low volume and very heavy weights vs. the one of someone that trains with high volume and lighter weights?
    It's related to the intensity and type of stress on the body from low volume and heavy weights vs. high volume and lighter weights.

  12. #182
    Amateur Threat CHOSEN01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,607
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Aside from that just fucking look at people like Kai and Khan, who seems to be your idol, they both bench 500 for fucking reps. You're going to say strength doesn't matter at all?

    Enjoy being sub 200 for the remainder of your life.

  13. #183
    Amateur Threat CHOSEN01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,607
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bowden View Post
    Have you ever noticed the differences in the appearance of the physique of someone that trains with low volume and very heavy weights vs. the one of someone that trains with high volume and lighter weights?
    It's related to the type of stress on the body from low volume and heavy weights vs. high volume and lighter weights.
    I.E. at the highest level. Dexter Jackson vs. Khan, Coleman, Kai.

    Evan has the right idea whenever I see an article or whatnot, heavy weights with reps at the higher end of the spectrum. Anything over 12 reps is for figure bitches, I've found 10 is where it's at.

  14. #184
    Iron Addict farrellzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,270
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHOSEN01 View Post
    We're talking natty right now child. That kid is natty...hopefully.
    I thought we were talking bodybuilding in general. Which is a drug-ridden sport.

    Explain to me why then lightweight powerlifters (say 140# and under) can pull 315+ regularly and look like they've never stepped foot in a gym in their lives.

  15. #185
    MD staff Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    One thousand calories below maintenance
    Posts
    19,920
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Anyone that has done 5/3/1 lower rep heavy weight power type training vs. higher volume higher rep bodybuilding training can tell the difference in their physique from the different types of training.
    The body reacts differently to the types of training intensity, volume, load and stress.

  16. #186
    Iron Addict farrellzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,270
    Gender
    Male

    Default



    Here's my point.

    Obviously someone will argue that Richard is a freak of nature, but there are tons of guys pulling 400lbs or more regularly at a similar bodyweight and physique.

  17. #187
    MD staff Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    One thousand calories below maintenance
    Posts
    19,920
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by farrellzach View Post
    I thought we were talking bodybuilding in general. Which is a drug-ridden sport.

    Explain to me why then lightweight powerlifters (say 140# and under) can pull 315+ regularly and look like they've never stepped foot in a gym in their lives.
    Because of the type of training they do.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •