Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 52 to 68 of 315

Thread: "It works for me"

  1. #52
    Behemoth eroc613's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    1,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kontour View Post
    I think this entire vid is not about Top pros. He uses shitty analogies and that's why everyone is so upset. The thing is (and many intelligent guys/top bodybuilders have said similar notions) that top pros don't have to listen or read science and follow strict guidelines about mTor, range of motions, muscle fiber types, etc because they are blessed with some of the best genetics and drug responses than the rest of the billions of people in the world. They also train hard and take good drugs and eat a shit load of food, many people don't do those things. For the many people who do the same as pros but look shitty, this video is for them. Just my 2 cents. He made a few points that are hard to argue with. Sleeping for 4 hours would not help most of us here get bigger. That is Phil Heath, we shouldn't mimic what that mutant can do to get huge.
    Guys like this are lost to the situation for each instance...for example the sleeping 4 hours. Anyone that has experienced speeding up your metabolism to an very high rate know it's had to lay down and sleep...your body does not want to go to sleep more than a few hours. Plus, most people, Phil included, are just trying to MAINTAIN muscle mass at that point.
    There are so many varibles, not only genetics, that most of these guys don't understand. And can be broken down scientifically.
    I can argue science with these guys all day long. Bodybuilding is an extreme circumstance that does not have "tons" of research breaking it down, yet the guys constantly talk about research that is based on different varibles, not pertaining to the extremes of bodybuilding. And also "look" like they do, while giving this type of advice.
    Now if they want to do their own credible research backing up their claims, I'm very interested in seeing the results. Yet, they base their thoughts on other people research that they have decided it credible.
    The ironary of them calling people unintelligent is quite funny.

    I'm not saying this guy is dumb, or unintelligent. But he does have a lot to learn about reality
    Last edited by eroc613; July 20th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

  2. #53
    Mass Monster UriahMcGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Truenutrition.com
    Posts
    6,020
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beast In The Basement View Post
    Dude. Just be quiet. The first thing any pro (decent, honest) will tell you is train hard, learn your body and adjust your training accordingly. In other words, what works for you.

    I have had advice from trainers and gurus and some of their most clinical information DID NOT APPLY TO ME. So, after a few weeks they had to adjust their programs to my specific physiology and experience.
    common sense wins again

  3. #54
    Juggernaut TrainInsane201's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    7,911
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sammysosa20 View Post
    LMAOOOOOOOOOO. Get your mushroom tip licked for the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by modredtrenton View Post
    someone said 20 pounds of REAL muscle is all you can gain as a natty in you whole life

  4. #55

    Default

    Kontor seems to be the only one that is making any logic here.

    I am not ass kissing this guy, I even think he is quite patronizing and arrogant but hes extremely intelligent and clearly quite knowledgeable, and thats beside the fact he is 19.

    It is absolutely asinine to base your views of his intellect on his appearance. First he's 19, he used to be anorexic, he finds it hard to eat alot due to this and hes natural.

    Now considering genetics play a huge role in this sport my point is strenghtened. Do you think Phil Heath had a clue when he started, he was probably huge within a year. Going by looks=knowledge Phil must be the smartest, right?

    All this guys videos(If any of you watched them) are based on studies, not anecdotal evidence. Hes not trying to say what IFBB pros are doing is wrong, maybe just not optimal. If any of you are familiar with Alan Aragon, this kid goes on a lot of his work.

    I can't believe you all take advice from people who just look the part. So if you wanted to become better looking, would you ask a naturally beautiful model for advice, or someone who has alot of knowledge in anti ageing, and personal care. Jesus, I am surprised by a few of you, most of you are probably 10+ years older than me yet are non the wiser, get over your ignorance. /Rant

  5. #56
    Beach Body Knucklehead95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    581
    Gender
    Male

    Default


  6. #57
    Beach Body Knucklehead95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    581
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    oh man hypocrite----> 10:59

  7. #58
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,704

    Default

    Sorry, but he should still look a little better than most 19-year-old kids I see in the gym with all his vast knowledge (and he does sound quite intelligent).

    Whoever said he is 'built like a brick shithouse' needs to stop smoking crack. I looked better than he did at 19, also drug-free, and being an ectomorph. I doubt anyone would claim for a minute my genetics are anything special either.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  8. #59
    Iron Addict The Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,772
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead95 View Post

    His workout partner at 5:20 has to have a wingspan of 13 feet.

  9. #60
    ANIMAL naturalguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,957
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead95 View Post
    oh man hypocrite----> 10:59

    Too funny and too ironic hahahaha
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

  10. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Sorry, but he should still look a little better than most 19-year-old kids I see in the gym with all his vast knowledge (and he does sound quite intelligent).

    Whoever said he is 'built like a brick shithouse' needs to stop smoking crack. I looked better than he did at 19, also drug-free, and being an ectomorph. I doubt anyone would claim for a minute my genetics are anything special either.
    Ron, there may be several factors as to why that is they case and we may never know them. I have watched his videos and he mentioned he weighed under 100lbs just a few year ago, now about 220, all be it quite chubby. He may not be consistent with his eating, he may have crap genetics... who knows.

    The general points that hes trying to portray are not that "bro science" doesnt work, it just that its not optimal (may not get you there as quick/or may have to suffer more).

  11. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead95 View Post
    oh man hypocrite----> 10:59
    on that exercise lol.

  12. #63
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,704

    Default

    I agree that a lot of us, myself included, rely heavily on 'bro science' when it comes to training. That's because real science typically doesn't do many studies on muscle growth. If they had really been interested, I suspect we would know far more, actually know as a fact, the optimal way or ways to train. Studies done are too short term and too often use untrained test subjects for whom pretty much anything would work. Personally, I would love to train with the confidence that what I was doing was proven to be the absolute best way. But instead we rely more on 'what works for us' after trying many different styles.

    And I further speculate that due to diversity in genetic factors, metabolisms, etc, there very likely IS no best way to train that would be universal.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  13. #64
    Beach Body Knucklehead95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    581
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    I agree that a lot of us, myself included, rely heavily on 'bro science' when it comes to training. That's because real science typically doesn't do many studies on muscle growth. If they had really been interested, I suspect we would know far more, actually know as a fact, the optimal way or ways to train. Studies done are too short term and too often use untrained test subjects for whom pretty much anything would work. Personally, I would love to train with the confidence that what I was doing was proven to be the absolute best way. But instead we rely more on 'what works for us' after trying many different styles.

    And I further speculate that due to diversity in genetic factors, metabolisms, etc, there very likely IS no best way to train that would be universal.
    not too mention when they do a study on a certain exercise or diet type, they usually dont include everything that you need for muscle growth or fat loss.
    Its just the one specific exercise/ trainning program without a change in diet or change in diet with no exercise.

  14. #65
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,704

    Default

    Couldn't find one of me at 19, but I had just turned 20 here - a massive 165 pounds at 5-8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1990hotelroom.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	282902  
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  15. #66
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead95 View Post
    not too mention when they do a study on a certain exercise or diet type, they usually dont include everything that you need for muscle growth or fat loss.
    Its just the one specific exercise/ trainning program without a change in diet or change in diet with no exercise.
    But I understand why they don't really focus much on it - nobody is dying because they can't grow enough muscle mass, and there are already drugs that will stimulate it with virtually any type of training where effort is involved.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  16. #67
    Mass Monster UriahMcGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Truenutrition.com
    Posts
    6,020
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Couldn't find one of me at 19, but I had just turned 20 here - a massive 165 pounds at 5-8.
    I'll 1 up you here....had just turned 19 5'6" 206
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	199254_1016246736062_2652_n.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	282903  

  17. #68
    Beach Body Knucklehead95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    581
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    But I understand why they don't really focus much on it - nobody is dying because they can't grow enough muscle mass, and there are already drugs that will stimulate it with virtually any type of training where effort is involved.
    thats very true

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •