Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: The MCGOUGH REPORT: USA FULL EDITION

Default The MCGOUGH REPORT: USA FULL EDITION

Great summary by Peter McGough ! Such descriptive writting on bodybuilding is quite rare now in the age of 140 character tweeter feeds.
    I guess this why I still subscribe to the actual magazine and READ entire articles .
    Peter made an interesting observation about how few of the 163 bodybuilders were in top condition despite that factor being so key in winning now.
    I also was curious about the trend in fewer lighter wt class entrants?
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Where was Jason Huh? I thought he and a bunch of other competitors were supposed to be in this contest?

Quote Originally Posted by hebrewhammer View Post
    Where was Jason Huh? I thought he and a bunch of other competitors were supposed to be in this contest?
    You're thinking of Tampa pro, I believe. There's a thread on here with Jason's recent guest posing appearance.

I agree, McGough is a real asset to MD. Such a step above the usual banal & obvious reportage.

Quote Originally Posted by hebrewhammer View Post
    Jason Huh was guest posing at the Sunset Classic while this was going on. I'll have pics of that up in just a bit.

" the first non heavyweight or super heavyweight not to win since light heavy Mark Dugdale accomplished that feat in 2004."

This sentence mistakenly uses a double negative. Sorry to be a grammar Nazi.

Quote Originally Posted by soledefender View Post
    " the first non heavyweight or super heavyweight not to win since light heavy Mark Dugdale accomplished that feat in 2004."

This sentence mistakenly uses a double negative. Sorry to be a grammar Nazi.
    You'r right to point it out soledefender. I just re-read the text and there's another grammatical error in there that I wouldn't normally make. My only excuse is I wrote it at 4 in the morning -- a weak excuse but mine own.

Gotcha . . . thanks for the info, I knew there was a show coming up that had a bunch of "names" in it I was looking forward too . . . ps - how does one view the Olympia? Thanks in advance. God Bless.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    You'r right to point it out soledefender. I just re-read the text and there's another grammatical error in there that I wouldn't normally make. My only excuse is I wrote it at 4 in the morning -- a weak excuse but mine own.
    But weren't you a good sport staying out with us that late!?

Quote Originally Posted by FitAdina View Post
    But weren't you a good sport staying out with us that late!?
    Yes, Adina it was new ground for me. Usually if I'm not in bed by 11.00pm I go home.

Peter, any reason for the lower number of entrants in the lighter wt divisions at recent NPC national level contests?

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Peter, any reason for the lower number of entrants in the lighter wt divisions at recent NPC national level contests?
    Howard, it may just be a blip, but I suppose it could be an indicator that guys are just getting bigger. To accommodate the growing trend the Super heavyweight division was created in 1998. It's only ten years since Shawn Ray was super competitive (some say he should have won at least once) at the Olympia at 205 pounds. I don't think we'll see that again, although Shawn was pretty unique -- wasn't overpowered by standing next to guys who outweighed him by 40 and 50 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    Howard, it may just be a blip, but I suppose it could be an indicator that guys are just getting bigger. To accommodate the growing trend the Super heavyweight division was created in 1998. It's only ten years since Shawn Ray was super competitive (some say he should have won at least once) at the Olympia at 205 pounds. I don't think we'll see that again, although Shawn was pretty unique -- wasn't overpowered by standing next to guys who outweighed him by 40 and 50 pounds.
    Maybe? But I think the prestige of winning your wt class as a bantam or light wt is not viewed with the same respect now compared to past years.
    Now everyone talkes about getting a pro card and having that as the end all/be all goal.
    In my humble opinion, guys like Shawn Ray, Lee Labrada and Frank Zane are the ideal kind of pro physique and should be rewarded.
    Reward the overall best PHYSIQUE and drugs become more of a non issue.
    FYI, glad to see onboard with MD mag Peter, you are one of the best in the bodybuilding media biz.
    Take care.