Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: PL Meet Prep!

Pretty much what Jim said. Keep in mind too that alot of meets especially the bigger one's will have a time limit after they tell you the bar is loaded for your attempt. Most cases it's a minute. Word to the wise too tell the head judge it's your first meet. Sometimes you'll give you a little leeway which never hurts. Starting at 10am and out by 3pm is the fastest I've ever seen a meet go. My longest was start at 10am ended at 7pm. Food that doesn't bloat you or leaving you feeling like taking a nap is always best. Alot of guys use fruit, shakes, or PB sandwiches.

Also it may be divided up in flights. Say you have 40 full power lifters. You'll probably have 3 flights. It's separated out by opening attempts. So if you are put in the second you'll want to start warming up as soon as the first flight starts or if you are in the third start when second flight takes their first attempts. You get the idea. And when you walk off the platform after your attempts first place to go is to the table to put in your next attempt.

Just another little bit of advice take a video from the side of all your squats between now and the meet. USAPL is known for wanting you to sink those squats so having some of us see your depth could make sure you don't get a red light for that issue now.
    413/330/512 1255lbs@220 APF raw

I squat very deep like ATG practically so I'm not worried.

Thanks though dudes. Good stuff to keep in mind.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

I forgot about the time limit. Yeah same here, we get a minute after we're called.

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

Austin - they covered it well.

I hit some squats tonight. 90% of last weeks 520 (which is 465) for 5 singles. They were work but I expected nothing more on my 6th day of no carbs. Going well so far.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Quote Originally Posted by Diabetic Muscle View Post
    ........Just another little bit of advice take a video from the side of all your squats between now and the meet. USAPL is known for wanting you to sink those squats so having some of us see your depth could make sure you don't get a red light for that issue now.
    USPA is also known for making the lifters drop below parallel for their squats. If you're hitting your squats a bit high than look for a SPF Meet. SPF is known as the Squat Pass Federation.
    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    and here they are:

Be careful with those Bradford Presses. I think they contributed to my first shoulder injury years ago. I wouldn't go to heavy on them.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    USPA is also known for making the lifters drop below parallel for their squats. If you're hitting your squats a bit high than look for a SPF Meet. SPF is known as the Squat Pass Federation.
    haha Sad but true. Sadly there are only 3 federations I can compete in where I live, APF, SPF, and just recently the USPA. I would like to do an SPF meet solely for the fact I could wear knee wraps which isn't allowed in the others.
    413/330/512 1255lbs@220 APF raw

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    Be careful with those Bradford Presses. I think they contributed to my first shoulder injury years ago. I wouldn't go to heavy on them.
    will do. knock on wood, no trouble yet and I really think I need to hammer my shoulders like I was when doing strongman stuff. I heard rumor of some westside guys going 315 on these... silly.

some of todays work:

keeping volume very low since this is my 8th day of no carbs.
    I will increase the volume next week once I start backloading.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Austin, get one of your support guys to be in charge of filling in your attempt cards. You normally get a minute after your lift to submit your next attempt, some federations/meets are stricter than others. I've been to one meet where they'll shout out reminders to people that they're still waiting, one other meet just didn't allow those lifters to lift if they weren't in on time.

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    will do. knock on wood, no trouble yet and I really think I need to hammer my shoulders like I was when doing strongman stuff. I heard rumor of some westside guys going 315 on these... silly.
    Yeah, don't do that. Remember Louie's guys are more juiced up than a FL orange and we're not so we can't do things they do b/c we don't have the performance enhancers to strengthen tendons/ligaments as well as speed up recovery.

I don't know how you can push like that on no carbs. I need mine, without them I can't do shit.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

I weigh the same as a large piece of fruit and even I can't imagine running on zero carbs.

The more often you do keto (and the longer you do it), I think the more the body adapts to it. I honestly feel fine. I just adjust training by lowering the volume this past week and had no issues. Carbs will be back tomorrow though!

as far as my training/prep, etc...
    felt great yesterday and woke up this morning with a terrible pain in my back. right side, behind the shoulder blade, kinda. Must be from how I slept or maybe how I sat watching the O for 3 hours last night it's killing me. I hate taking any kind of pills and I just took a muscle relaxer. Hope it's gone tomorrow! I ain't got time for this shit!!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Just found out that my meet is on December 1st.

I can't sleep. So anyways. Update.

Training at the gym where the meet will be tomorrow to feel out the bench and equipment.

Also, I keep spranging my ankle. Sucks. Gunna hit the sports doctor after the meet.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

This is where I'll be training next week (and where the Raw Champs are being held)...

‎"Bench/Chest day at Eastside. Alf with some board work and 260kg and coach with some max effort on incline with 170kg plus 40 kg chains and then backing off with 150 kg for 10 reps."

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast