Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: PL Meet Prep!

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

Austin, maybe you can wrap up that ankle while training form now until the meet?

Just got off the scale and it's 215.0 so just over a 7 pound drop in 10 days, today being the 11th but I get carbs tonight.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    Austin, maybe you can wrap up that ankle while training form now until the meet?

Just got off the scale and it's 215.0 so just over a 7 pound drop in 10 days, today being the 11th but I get carbs tonight.
    I have been Joe, I'll work through it, no big deal. Just blows because it's been an on and off year long injury....Gets better and right when it's almost 100% something stupid happens and it's back to square one. It's from 2 sports related injuries I never got checked out by an MD.

gotcha.

I was 218.8 this morning after my carb feast last night. tight all day so far (meaning no carbs), already trained and felt pretty good and will be having some more carbs tonight in the form of white rice and maybe some cupcakes. I think. Interested to see what the scale says tomorrow.
    I may be able to sneak in my leg work tomorrow night which would be ideal for the diet... we'll see what happens. Higher reps on squats tomorrow too since last week was 90% singles.

Can someone explain the deadlift. I like to get amped up, shake the slack out of the bar, then do a little circle, come back and yank.

Would that ritual fly in a meet? The deadlift is the one exercise where being fired the fuck up helps out the most.

Secondly, when can my spotter rack the weight after I bench. Will the judge need to say good lift before racking or can if I complete full lock out can my spot grab it?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

I'll let the others answer your bench question Austin, just in case we do things slightly different at the bottom of the world

I'd say your DL ritual should be fine though, the main thing is making sure you stay in your 1min allowance from when you are called. I don't think they're too fussed what people do when they're up there, I have seen some funny stuff at meets lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Bicep View Post
    Can someone explain the deadlift. I like to get amped up, shake the slack out of the bar, then do a little circle, come back and yank.

Would that ritual fly in a meet? The deadlift is the one exercise where being fired the fuck up helps out the most.

Secondly, when can my spotter rack the weight after I bench. Will the judge need to say good lift before racking or can if I complete full lock out can my spot grab it?
    You're going to have to go to complete lockout and hold it there until the judge says rack it. I lost an attempt because I got it back up and then let it go back to get racked before he allowed it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Yeah, you'll likely be red lighted if you drop it at any stage or let go of the bar before it's back on the ground. Once you've been signalled that your DL is good, just lower the bar back down and keep your hands on the bar until it's on the floor!

above are correct.
    and I doubt you will be going first anyway, so be sure to watch a few lifts between your own warm ups. then you know exactly what your looking for.

And when your squatting, once you look at the center (head judge) he'll give you the squat command and you have to squat at that point. You can't get reset or move around so when you look up at him, you need to be set and ready to squat.
    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Sounds good gentlemen...Buying my USAPL membership online tn, and probably pay the entry fee at the door.

Special thanks to the guys helping make this possible.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Bicep View Post
    Sounds good gentlemen...Buying my USAPL membership online tn, and probably pay the entry fee at the door.

Special thanks to the guys helping make this possible.
    Did you get mail?

Ask the head judge the day of the meet on your deadlift. Touching the bar then walking off may send the wrong signal on the deadlift. USAPL bench should be like this: You'll get the lift off the spotter will remove himself from the platform, the head judge will say "start" you'll lower the bar to your body pause "press" you'll move bar to lockout and hold for a second "rack" and you'll return the bar to the rack.
    413/330/512 1255lbs@220 APF raw

Thanks DM. I'm working with my friend Doug who will spot me. A lot of guys here know him so we will go over it.

Yes Jim I did

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Diabetic Muscle View Post
    You'll get the lift off the spotter will remove himself from the platform, the head judge will say "start" you'll lower the bar to your body pause "press" you'll move bar to lockout and hold for a second "rack" and you'll return the bar to the rack.
    Yup. Glad the video helped a little too Austin ~ you're at a big advantage as with the weights you're lifting you definately won't be anywhere near first up. So just take notice of what's going on and take in all the commands and how the lifts are run. Wouldn't surprise me if you're one of the last ones to be called.

Feel pretty good about training tomorrow. Always makes me nervous cause then I have high expectations going into the session. LOL, we'll see how the pressing goes.

oh, and my legs are wrecked from Tuesdays squats and sled.

Well it was a good day! Some decent floor presses and a LOT of slingshot reps.
    Also trained with a fellow PL competitor today which was a real nice surprise.
    We are hoping to get together every other thurs for some pressing which would be great.
    Weird since he competes equipped and I go raw but it worked out well.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Good stuff Joe, always good training with someone in the same mindset as yourself.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast