Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: PL Meet Prep!

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

Default PL Meet Prep!

I would like this to be stickied if possible and then removed after all the meets are said and done.
    The training journals section currently has 3 (that I know of) guys prepping for a meet in the next few months.
    I think it would be cool to have a common spot for support, ideas, motivational vids or whatever.
    Sometimes it's just too time consuming to check several journals very often so for those getting ready this may be a quick stop rather than checking several threads.

I encourage those with events coming up to list the dates, types of meets etc.

Me:
    100% Raw Powerlifting
    Nov 11th
    Full meet
    220 Open

Jim, Austin, chime in!

Lets move some weight!
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Stickied, love the idea, let's do this.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Great idea Joe My next meet is usually the first weekend in December (date TBA).

Canterbury Raw Champs
    Full meet
    130-145 class
    Defending my class win from last year, would be nice to better my 5th overall placing.

I will be trying to follow Kiefers ideas on carb back loading.
    Right now I am doing the no carb phase to prep myself. Started on thursday and will continue until next Sunday and then that night I will have some carbs to load for Mondays training.
    Already at 218.6 so no idea where I will be by next Sunday and currently no idea how the backloading will affect my weight. Luckily I have 5-6 weeks to see how it plays out.
    Kiefer highly suggest sugary hi GI carbs and white rice is about the "cleanest" thing he wants you to eat. I am a bit nervous about that and will most likely go with the white rice most of the time. Thankfully it's Fall now and I will also be adding in some nice slices of apple pie, one my favorites of the season.

Austin, toss up your info bro!

My goal for the meet is to beat the state record in my fed for the 220 Open total which is only 1422 (currently). I should have that pretty easy and hopefully a good amount more. Mentally i have to get through this next week with the super low carbs because I know I will feel a bit drained. My work schedule is also getting crazy!

Forum Leader: Member Training Journals, Training The Joker's Avatar

Great idea fellas.
    Not Everything. Not Yet.

Makes me sad I don't have a definite meet picked out. haha
    413/330/512 1255lbs@220 APF raw

Someday I will get myself to do one. Someday.

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Great idea.
    Following along.

Good idea mates i'll check this thread out regularly, powerlifting is awesome

Everyone competing should post some vids periodically of their training just to show progress and how things are going. It can also be motivating.
    Conceive, Believe, Achieve!

Yeah my last one sucked! LOL
    I had one goal in mind which was the 220 record in the deadlift (for 100% Raw Powerlifting) current record is 683.4 and all my training had me pretty confident in 685+ Just didn't work out that day though and I missed my opener of 655 which would have been a meet PR for myself. Lots of suggestions to open easier, but that was of no use to me. Only 2 numbers mattered to me and that was 655 for a meet PR and 685+ for the record. O-Well. On to the next one

I'll try to get some vids of my current stuff as well. I know Jim was interested in my floor pressing (thursdays) and I will try to get one of my Bradford presses tomorrow since they are a bit "non-traditional".

Thanks for all the support guys! I hope it encourages some of you to pick a meet and get started!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    Everyone competing should post some vids periodically of their training just to show progress and how things are going. It can also be motivating.
    Good idea, this is the meet I've got coming up:

Obviously hoping that I can better those lifts this time around, so we'll see what happens.

Here is what I will be doing.

USAPL Powerlifting Championships
    October 27th
    Albany Strength Gym in Albany New York

All Raw

It's my first meet. Plan is the 220lb weight class but I will be very light for it unless I can pack on some pounds this month. Currently weighing 206.

Plan is TBT 3 days a week varying % and lifts until the meet. Then resting about a week out.

Hopefully some big weights can be smashed otherwise it's still a good learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post

I'll try to get some vids of my current stuff as well. I know Jim was interested in my floor pressing (thursdays) and I will try to get one of my Bradford presses tomorrow since they are a bit "non-traditional".
    and here they are:

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Kind of having an easier week this week as next week is heavy for me, but I pulled a comfortable 374 deficit DL tonight.

Am well on target to hit my 913 outta the field

How much time between events and attempts in a meet?

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_Bicep View Post
    How much time between events and attempts in a meet?
    Usually depends on how many people are lifting in your weight class. Not sure if they do it a little differently in the States (maybe Joe can chime in), but here you just rotate through the classes.

I'm the light class so I'm usually up first; say there's 6 people in my class you get to rest up while the other 5 lift and then you are up again for your next attempt, obviously the guys lifting lighter go first. When your class is done and the next class is up, that's when you can relax and think about warming up for the next lift. That's sometimes the tricky bit as you need to work out when you need to start warming up so you are ready for your first attempt. Lift order is always:

SQUAT
    BENCH
    DEADLIFT

Make sure you take plenty of food, as although it sounds like it should be fast is often isn't. My last meet we started lifting at 10.30am and finished up about 3pm, that was with about 25 lifters all up. You don't want to be going into the DL feeling hungry and not have time to shoot out and buy food. Best to come prepared for a long day in terms of food & drink. Just my 2c.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast