Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Q and A with 2012 North American Overall Champ, Dallas McCarver

[QUOTE=bill2;3439675]what speed and incline you use on the treadmill dallas while dieting?[/QUOTE

The stepmill is my main source of cardio, I really only do the treadmill on leg day, or day after leg day late in the prep early in the prep I didn't do much if any cardio the day after leg day. When I do use the treadmill its at a 6-7 incline, not that this really helps you because im sure every treadmill brand the number of inclines differ. As far as speed I walk at 3-3.5 mph.

Barbarian christianausdemspreewald's Avatar

Hey Dallas,
    What are your plans for the next weeks or monthes? We didn't see you a long time on MD? More vid's please..
    Thanks and greetings from germany
    Christian
    The real and only... http://www.body-xtreme.de

Quote Originally Posted by christianausdemspreewald View Post
    Hey Dallas,
    What are your plans for the next weeks or monthes? We didn't see you a long time on MD? More vid's please..
    Thanks and greetings from germany
    Christian
    Didn't see me for a while? I just had a video series of like 6-7 video series come out in may. Anyways thought, my plans for the next few months are to GROW I have many weak areas and many things that much need improvement before I am ready for the pro stage. Being a pro so young is a great thing BUT its also not so easy for me when I have only done three shows total and only been bodybuilding for a little more than two years. I am still figuring out my body and what works for me. Thankfully I have MD and BSN as great sponsors who agree with me its not worth getting on a pro stage until I am damn good and ready.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasMcCarver View Post
    Didn't see me for a while? I just had a video series of like 6-7 video series come out in may. Anyways thought, my plans for the next few months are to GROW I have many weak areas and many things that much need improvement before I am ready for the pro stage. Being a pro so young is a great thing BUT its also not so easy for me when I have only done three shows total and only been bodybuilding for a little more than two years. I am still figuring out my body and what works for me. Thankfully I have MD and BSN as great sponsors who agree with me its not worth getting on a pro stage until I am damn good and ready.

Good thinking cause if you go to your first pro show, don't perform, they will drop you, FAST.

What years did you play for Bethel? I played OL for Campbellsville University from 05 to 08. We took plenty of butt-whippings from Bethel back in those days! LoL

Quote Originally Posted by wnsuth86 View Post
    What years did you play for Bethel? I played OL for Campbellsville University from 05 to 08. We took plenty of butt-whippings from Bethel back in those days! LoL
    I was there 09-10 but my good friend and training partner Beau Weiss played there those years 4 yr starter and an all american. I wasn't half the ball player he was that's why I followed bodybuilding haha. But damn I miss it like hell!

Nobody

Hey Dallas, I'm 17 and am going into my senior year of high school. I've played my share of sports in high school so far and love lifting weights. I'm sending this because I want to get into bodybuilding, but don't know where to start. My brother and I are lifting 4-5 days a week and are doing cardio 3 days a week. If there is anything you could tell me that might help, whether it's to get a trainer or something that would be great, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Baker33 View Post
    Hey Dallas, I'm 17 and am going into my senior year of high school. I've played my share of sports in high school so far and love lifting weights. I'm sending this because I want to get into bodybuilding, but don't know where to start. My brother and I are lifting 4-5 days a week and are doing cardio 3 days a week. If there is anything you could tell me that might help, whether it's to get a trainer or something that would be great, thanks!
    Well.. man honestly the best piece of advice I can give you is research! This was the first step I took when I began pondering the idea of competitive bodybuilding. There have been countless books, journals, and even some great internet articles on everything pertaining to this sport. You can find articles on everything from different types and effects of macros such as carbs, fats, and proteins, different theories and types of training, and of course supplements as well. Just be cautious of what you take to heart make sure the source is someone of actual knowledge of the content not just some joe blow on his keyboard at home lol. Once you have began research you will find that there are tons and tons of different ways of doing things, and this is where the fun comes in. Take time to learn yourself learn what types of food work good for you, learn what type of training you respond to ect. Once you have some general idea of your body and how you respond to things and your goals as to where you are headed. Then maybe you can seek out a trainer or someone who can help you with the minor details of things along the way. No trainer has all the answers and no trainer understands every single persons body to an exact science, because its not an exact science, we are all created differently with minor and major differences. A good trainer is more like a good team mate someone to help you iron out minor details, adjust things for the better, and point you in the correct way to achieve whatever goals you have set for yourself. No trainer is going to suit you until you have a general idea of your own body and your goals. Just remember no one can help you reach an undetermined destination! First and foremost set goals to achieve and and then find the help to achieve these goals. hope this is of some help.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasMcCarver View Post
    Well.. man honestly the best piece of advice I can give you is research! This was the first step I took when I began pondering the idea of competitive bodybuilding. There have been countless books, journals, and even some great internet articles on everything pertaining to this sport. You can find articles on everything from different types and effects of macros such as carbs, fats, and proteins, different theories and types of training, and of course supplements as well. Just be cautious of what you take to heart make sure the source is someone of actual knowledge of the content not just some joe blow on his keyboard at home lol. Once you have began research you will find that there are tons and tons of different ways of doing things, and this is where the fun comes in. Take time to learn yourself learn what types of food work good for you, learn what type of training you respond to ect. Once you have some general idea of your body and how you respond to things and your goals as to where you are headed. Then maybe you can seek out a trainer or someone who can help you with the minor details of things along the way. No trainer has all the answers and no trainer understands every single persons body to an exact science, because its not an exact science, we are all created differently with minor and major differences. A good trainer is more like a good team mate someone to help you iron out minor details, adjust things for the better, and point you in the correct way to achieve whatever goals you have set for yourself. No trainer is going to suit you until you have a general idea of your own body and your goals. Just remember no one can help you reach an undetermined destination! First and foremost set goals to achieve and and then find the help to achieve these goals. hope this is of some help.

Don't hire John o'Reagan

Nobody

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond! Everything you said helped me out a lot. I live in the country, and nobody around here lifts weights with the intention of bodybuilding so I'm kind of on my own lol. I have definitely learned a lot from reading magazines, journals, and watching a lot of Youtube videos, including all of yours, no homo lol. It's 110% true that different things work for different people, like you said in your reply. I found out about you while I was on vacation (in Florida) through a guy named Chad Rowan. He claimed you guys went to college together, but that's besides the point. Last but not least I'm a big fan and wish you the best of luck in your upcoming show(s)!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond! Everything you said helped me out a lot. I live in the country, and nobody around here lifts weights with the intention of bodybuilding so I'm kind of on my own lol. I have definitely learned a lot from reading magazines, journals, and watching a lot of Youtube videos, including all of yours, no homo lol. It's 110% true that different things work for different people, like you said in your reply. I found out about you while I was on vacation (in Florida) through a guy named Chad Rowan. He claimed you guys went to college together, but that's besides the point. Last but not least I'm a big fan and wish you the best of luck in your upcoming show(s)!
    Hey man I know all about growing up in the country, but that actually can be a good advantage. It is better to be surrounded by people who admit to not knowing much on a topic vs. people who know little but claim to be the experts lol. And thanks for the good luck wishes bro.

Hey Dallas big fan during off season how many cheat meals do you have and do you have them on training days or rest days?

Nobody

I hate to keep bothering you because I know you're probably really busy, but what's your opinion when it comes to rep ranges. I know you most likely get asked this ALL the time, but I just wanted to go straight to a reliable source instead of going to someone else and getting told 10 different things. For example: What rep range would you recommend for "off season" type of training, and also a good rep range for cutting weight and toning up. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by SAMbennett23 View Post
    Hey Dallas big fan during off season how many cheat meals do you have and do you have them on training days or rest days?
    I usually have two "cheat meals" per week. One is cleaner something like sushi, or just a big steak and potato so it's really not like a cheat per say just something different than my normal meals. Then the other one is a little more serious, something like pizza, burger, maybe even some sweets with it like a some ice cream, or a piece of pie or something. Hell my last bad cheat meal I had some fried chicken, and it was damn amazing! lol Also as far as when I cheat I prefer to do it on days where I am training larger muscle groups such as back, or legs. I normally do them post training, I dont like to eat anything out of the ordinary before I train, because I cant stand that nasty bloated feeling while training.

That was also one of my biggest questions when I started training, but in all honestly the answer is much simpler than you think. My reps range from 6-15, now I know this sounds like a larger range but thats kind of the point. You have to listen to your body, see how your joints feel and go from there. Ill give you an example and this is how I train just about everything. Say I am doing a bench press well I will start off with x amount of weight for 15 reps, assuming that feels good I will move up in weight for around 12 reps then up again for 10. At that point this is where I usually would just do another set or two with the same amount of weight, but on what I call good days my joints feel great and I feel strong so I go up for a total failure really high weight lift. I do this for everything with the exceptions of arms and shoulders and thats just because I think these muscles require a slightly higher rep range than larger muscles to ensure a great pump and fatigue something in the 10-15 range. If you think about it your not going to benefit much from 6 reps on curls lol.

I hate to keep bothering you because I know you're probably really busy, but what's your opinion when it comes to rep ranges. I know you most likely get asked this ALL the time, but I just wanted to go straight to a reliable source instead of going to someone else and getting told 10 different things. For example: What rep range would you recommend for "off season" type of training, and also a good rep range for cutting weight and toning up. Thanks again!
    That was also one of my biggest questions when I started training, but in all honestly the answer is much simpler than you think. My reps range from 6-15, now I know this sounds like a larger range but thats kind of the point. You have to listen to your body, see how your joints feel and go from there. Ill give you an example and this is how I train just about everything. Say I am doing a bench press well I will start off with x amount of weight for 15 reps, assuming that feels good I will move up in weight for around 12 reps then up again for 10. At that point this is where I usually would just do another set or two with the same amount of weight, but on what I call good days my joints feel great and I feel strong so I go up for a total failure really high weight lift. I do this for everything with the exceptions of arms and shoulders and thats just because I think these muscles require a slightly higher rep range than larger muscles to ensure a great pump and fatigue something in the 10-15 range. If you think about it your not going to benefit much from 6 reps on curls lol. There is no perfect rep range brother, we are all different and we require different types of diet and training ect. This goes back to the whole learning your body thing just have to find what works for you best. Just think about it the way Phill, Ronnie, and Dorian trained are all completely different, yet they are all beast, because they found what worked for them.

Nobody

I know it's hard to answer a question like that because like you just said everyone is different, but it definitely helps to get an idea on where to start. That same rep range I have found out over the past few months works really well for me, so thanks again for taking the time to answer my question!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast