Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Q and A with 2012 North American Overall Champ, Dallas McCarver

Dedicated Noob

Hey man I really think you have got a great physique especially for your age. But age aside no matter what way you look at it you have a amazing physique. But I was wondering what is a good body fat percentage to have while bulking. I am just trying to build up mass to eventually do a show. And I know when I do a show and start dieting the muscle will go away very quickly. I am 220 right now at 15% percent body fat and I am 5'11. Some people say that is way to high and I should keep my body fat around 10% while bulking. I know this is a lame reason not to want to keep my body fat that low but honestly I just really hate eating a lot of clean food. Also this is another random question to throw In to this but whats the most muscle you have gained in a 3 to 6 month period. Like actual muscle not water weight. After you had been training for a good amount of time. Because almost every one can put on like 20 pounds in a year If they never worked out before and they start a good work out program and diet. So whats the most muscle you have put on in a 3 to 6 month period since you started really training. Lol because I know you get pretty damn big in the off season. I mean that in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by 357 magnum View Post
    Hey man I really think you have got a great physique especially for your age. But age aside no matter what way you look at it you have a amazing physique. But I was wondering what is a good body fat percentage to have while bulking. I am just trying to build up mass to eventually do a show. And I know when I do a show and start dieting the muscle will go away very quickly. I am 220 right now at 15% percent body fat and I am 5'11. Some people say that is way to high and I should keep my body fat around 10% while bulking. I know this is a lame reason not to want to keep my body fat that low but honestly I just really hate eating a lot of clean food. Also this is another random question to throw In to this but whats the most muscle you have gained in a 3 to 6 month period. Like actual muscle not water weight. After you had been training for a good amount of time. Because almost every one can put on like 20 pounds in a year If they never worked out before and they start a good work out program and diet. So whats the most muscle you have put on in a 3 to 6 month period since you started really training. Lol because I know you get pretty damn big in the off season. I mean that in a good way.
    well first off thanks for the compliments. As for your questions, that is a difficult question for me to answer as first off I dont think I have EVER checked my bf%. I honestly believe the caliper test are rather unreliable. Anyways for me personally even in my grow periods I prefer to keep some what abs visible and not turn into to much of a bloated mess. As for not liking to eat clean, well that sort of is contradictory for this life style lol. I mean even if you do have cheat meals and what not you still need some way of keeping up with what and how much of what you are eating. That way you can adjust if you accordingly to your goals and what you want to do with your body, and even in the heaviest of calorie times all of my nutrition minus cheats comes from grilled meats, high quality healthy carbs, and good healthy fats Not just eating random junk all the time. I would guess to say that at 15% you can not see any of the ole abs and you are pretty soft, but I could be wrong! If thats the case you might want to tighten up just a tad before trying to put on much more weight and size. Just to simply avoid becoming a nasty ball of fat and bloat after you reach whatever goal weight you have. As for the most weight gained in a time period I dont really know to be honest.

What are the biggest differences between working with hany and John o Reagan?

Quote Originally Posted by SAMbennett23 View Post
    What are the biggest differences between working with hany and John o Reagan?
    I would have to say the biggest difference is the training. I have always been one to train intensely and really move some heavy weights, but with Hany everything is so precise and exact! From the actual way I perform each exercise to the rep ranges to the number of sets even the amount of time in between sets. Of course my diet has changed in a great number of ways, I am able to eat more food and stay fuller and leaner as well. In part because I usually train twice per day. I also love Hany's genuine concern for my health and well being of my career. He stay on top of me about keeping my body both inside and out healthy and well maintained everything from chiropracters, to deep tissue, to ART. On top of all that Hany is a genius business man and has become very successful in this industry and he is always very helpful and full of great advice when it comes to issues of my career. First time I talked to Hany I felt like he was someone who genuinely believed in me and wanted me to succeed that meant a ton to me!

what have u noticed different by training a body part twice a week? Furthermore can u explain more detail on "I think the biggest thing was I just had no idea actually how to properly train certain body parts such as back and legs people would be amazed at the difference rep ranges, order of exercises and just generally doing them a specific way can make on a given body part." thx dallas

Quote Originally Posted by DallasMcCarver View Post
    I would have to say the biggest difference is the training. I have always been one to train intensely and really move some heavy weights, but with Hany everything is so precise and exact! From the actual way I perform each exercise to the rep ranges to the number of sets even the amount of time in between sets. Of course my diet has changed in a great number of ways, I am able to eat more food and stay fuller and leaner as well. In part because I usually train twice per day. I also love Hany's genuine concern for my health and well being of my career. He stay on top of me about keeping my body both inside and out healthy and well maintained everything from chiropracters, to deep tissue, to ART. On top of all that Hany is a genius business man and has become very successful in this industry and he is always very helpful and full of great advice when it comes to issues of my career. First time I talked to Hany I felt like he was someone who genuinely believed in me and wanted me to succeed that meant a ton to me!
    wow sounds amazing, your definatly in good hands! I was going to work with John a few months ago but just seemed a bit too much too soon

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter67 View Post
    what have u noticed different by training a body part twice a week? Furthermore can u explain more detail on "I think the biggest thing was I just had no idea actually how to properly train certain body parts such as back and legs people would be amazed at the difference rep ranges, order of exercises and just generally doing them a specific way can make on a given body part." thx dallas
    Well as far as training twice a week I have noticed the particular muscle group stays more full. Keep in mind I don't train every group twice a week (currently training nothing twice per week) but when I do I select one weak body part and I'll hit it twice a week for a period of a 5-6 weeks and then give it a break by going back to once a week. I've noticed after a certain amount of time, while the muscle is still staying more full and "round" if you will, it begins to develop a fatigued beat down feeling. That's usually when I give it a break and swap the training to another weak area.
    As for for how to train each body part I could go on and on for days, but it boils down to what we are tough in a football locker room, or by other "lifters" isn't always best for what we are trying to achieve as bodybuilder. While yes someone may have taught you good proper "lifting form" it doesn't mean that's the way that's going to build up the given body part your trying to target. Examples may include feet placement on squats, angle in which you are bent over on rows orhow and where you actually pull the weight back to your body, elbow position on close grip bench, rang of motion and squeeze techniques on pressing movements, how high to do your curls to your forehead or nose or your chin? All minor things but when you put several of these little details in a given let's say back workout over the course of months it can make a HUGE difference. I've seen this first hand and the proof is in how my physique has changed both in size and over all look in the past few months sense working with Hany

can you post a dailys meal plan this time around with the influence of hany?
    and whats the differences in nutrition betewwen hany and o reaganyou think made an impact?

Hey Champ,here I am IF you want and have time to spare,can you please explain your theory about being right handed and having the left arm bigger and possibly more detailed than the right arm ? I never understood this difference. I am right handed,I do everything with my right hand,even text on the phone,but my left hand is bigger and more detailed,especially the triceps...is it because the muscles in my right arm are "worked" more often ? I heard a interesting theory from a doctor some years ago,that because the heart is on the left side, it pumps more blood to the left side. I'm looking forward to talk to you about this subject and learn from the best ! If you don't understand what I'm saying,please tell me and I will rephrase it(I'm from a small european country)
    "If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize."

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdi P. View Post
    Hey Champ,here I am IF you want and have time to spare,can you please explain your theory about being right handed and having the left arm bigger and possibly more detailed than the right arm ? I never understood this difference. I am right handed,I do everything with my right hand,even text on the phone,but my left hand is bigger and more detailed,especially the triceps...is it because the muscles in my right arm are "worked" more often ? I heard a interesting theory from a doctor some years ago,that because the heart is on the left side, it pumps more blood to the left side. I'm looking forward to talk to you about this subject and learn from the best ! If you don't understand what I'm saying,please tell me and I will rephrase it(I'm from a small european country)
    There is the theory of the heart being on that side, but I really dont know. My THEORY (keep in mind this is just a theory no proof or real scientific research to support this theory) is the right arm that you do everything with over the years has developed a great deal of muscle coordination with the surrounding muscle groups. As a result when performing certain exercises for that particular arm the supporting muscle groups (delts, traps, back, chest) tend to help the arm out much more. As opposed to the other arm, which doesnt have near the amount of daily use and as a direct result lacks the coordination with the other muscle groups; this arm is more "isolated" which requires more work from the actual bi and tri and in return yields greater results. In other words the left arm is forced to do more work on the same exact exercises, because it lacks as much help from surrounding muscle groups.
    As for correcting this problem, I have really focused on evening out my arms and practically have succeeded. The answer is actually more simple than you may think. I try to focus more on isolating the muscles regardless of what exercises I am doing I just try to slow down and really focus on not recruiting any additional help form other muscle groups. Also if I am doing any given iso-lateral movements I will sometimes just do an extra light set or few reps on my right (the one that was lagging) arm. The most important thing as i stated though is slow down and really focus in on what you are doing. jerking and slinging weight and recruiting additional muscle groups for more weight is not going to help you any ways, so just stay ego-free and keep the weight on the arms.

Dallas,

Ron said you needed some questions so I have one for you (Though I dont think you will answer it, but I honestly hope so, more so out of curiosity sake)

Theoretically speaking what one drug would you guess you would have seen the biggest muscle gains from if you were not natty :-p

I know you're a fan for deep tissue massage (not a dig lol) and I'd assume ART? I was wondering if you feel these benefits are mostly functional, as it loosening up and lengthening muscles for more comfortable workouts, or do you think they stretch into cosmetic benefits (evening out muscle imbalances, promoting circulation, even fascia stretching)?

If you think they offer cosmetic benefits do you feel they are more important pre contest than off season? Would you get them right up until the week before or cut them out sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by bugsfix View Post
    Dallas,

Ron said you needed some questions so I have one for you (Though I dont think you will answer it, but I honestly hope so, more so out of curiosity sake)

Theoretically speaking what one drug would you guess you would have seen the biggest muscle gains from if you were not natty :-p

I'm a little confused with how your wording things? Are you trying to be a smart ass by calling me a natty or referring to yourself being one and asking for you? If you want to ask a question just ask it bro, no need to try and clown on me. I'm down to answer anything within reason, asking for advice in any area is what I'm here for.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanW View Post
    I know you're a fan for deep tissue massage (not a dig lol) and I'd assume ART? I was wondering if you feel these benefits are mostly functional, as it loosening up and lengthening muscles for more comfortable workouts, or do you think they stretch into cosmetic benefits (evening out muscle imbalances, promoting circulation, even fascia stretching)?

If you think they offer cosmetic benefits do you feel they are more important pre contest than off season? Would you get them right up until the week before or cut them out sooner?
    Yes I am a huge fan of deep tissue work and art as well. I believe they serve both purposes yes in removing knitts and scarring in the muscle tissue it obviously benefits training sessions. On the other hand breaking that stuff up and opening the muscle up more allows the fascia to more freely expand and fill with blood during training, and as we know increased blood flow and more fascia stretching results in better muscle growth. So yeah I guess it works both ways, and ad for Pre contest and off season I prefer it gear round probably would stop till right before show.

does hany have you using carbs during your workout now?

Quote Originally Posted by SideShowDoc View Post
    does hany have you using carbs during your workout now?
    As of now I have not been.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast