Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Q and A with 2012 North American Overall Champ, Dallas McCarver

First off, congrats on the win and turning pro. Must be a dream come true!

We have sort of the same back ground..I am a college student who stopped playing college football as well. Over the past year I have been taking bodybuilding very seriously. Being the same age, it is great to see someone like you accomplish a feat like turning pro. Keep up the hard work and keep inspiring young men like me.

On to the questions,
    1. Since I was a football player I have alot of mass but yet my body fat is pretty high(I would say around 16 or 17%), would you suggest to cut down and then start to build up from there or do you think I should do?
    2. Do you have any advise on leg training. I have always been able to get my legs stronger, but I have trouble gettting them to grow any ideas?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JusTrying2BeHUGE View Post
    First off, congrats on the win and turning pro. Must be a dream come true!

We have sort of the same back ground..I am a college student who stopped playing college football as well. Over the past year I have been taking bodybuilding very seriously. Being the same age, it is great to see someone like you accomplish a feat like turning pro. Keep up the hard work and keep inspiring young men like me.

On to the questions,
    1. Since I was a football player I have alot of mass but yet my body fat is pretty high(I would say around 16 or 17%), would you suggest to cut down and then start to build up from there or do you think I should do?
    2. Do you have any advise on leg training. I have always been able to get my legs stronger, but I have trouble gettting them to grow any ideas?

thanks!
    thanks for the kind words man

1. Yes I would for sure advise you cut down before attempting to gain any size, and I have to reasons for this. First it will make it much easier to see your exact shape and what all you need to approve. Secondly when trying to gain mass the amount of calories you will need to grow efficiently will put a slow small amount of water and bodyfat on you, meaning you might gorw but your only going to become fatter. This will make it much harder to eventually lean out if you ever choose to do so, which bodybuilding being you love right now I assume you will want to.

2. As far as legs, I was the same way I believe it is our football back ground that makes us desire to squat and lift large amounts of weight, but keep in mind this isn't always best. Try really working on your form and recently I have dropped the weight quite a bit and really crank up the reps, as in 15, 20, even 30 reps. I have found so much more growth out of my legs this way than any other. I think it goes back to our athletic back ground our legs have a higher endurance than the average person ( in my opinion) thus for we really have to beat the shit out of them to get some growth.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasMcCarver View Post
    thanks for the kind words man

1. Yes I would for sure advise you cut down before attempting to gain any size, and I have to reasons for this. First it will make it much easier to see your exact shape and what all you need to approve. Secondly when trying to gain mass the amount of calories you will need to grow efficiently will put a slow small amount of water and bodyfat on you, meaning you might gorw but your only going to become fatter. This will make it much harder to eventually lean out if you ever choose to do so, which bodybuilding being you love right now I assume you will want to.

2. As far as legs, I was the same way I believe it is our football back ground that makes us desire to squat and lift large amounts of weight, but keep in mind this isn't always best. Try really working on your form and recently I have dropped the weight quite a bit and really crank up the reps, as in 15, 20, even 30 reps. I have found so much more growth out of my legs this way than any other. I think it goes back to our athletic back ground our legs have a higher endurance than the average person ( in my opinion) thus for we really have to beat the shit out of them to get some growth.
    Great answers, thanks !

TheYoungOx

Hey Dallas, what treatment did you use to heal your fracture in your vert.? Also how old were you when it happend?

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungOx View Post
    Hey Dallas, what treatment did you use to heal your fracture in your vert.? Also how old were you when it happend?
    It was a compressed vert technically not a fracture... but either way I had a little time with a neck brace and a shit load of therapy doing a bunch of very awkward n weird exercises. LOL

Dallas,

welcome to md. I live about 45 mins from Jackson in Dyersburg and sometimes if I am up there train. where do you train at? Im assuming Golds

can you get me a free pass into gold s because everytime I come up there they charge like 5,10, 15 20 $ for a one time visit.

I think i saw you at 2012 hub city fitness where I competed in heavyweights , were you wearing like a sleeveless leather vest?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSmeton View Post
    Dallas,

welcome to md. I live about 45 mins from Jackson in Dyersburg and sometimes if I am up there train. where do you train at? Im assuming Golds

can you get me a free pass into gold s because everytime I come up there they charge like 5,10, 15 20 $ for a one time visit.
    lol are you srs? get your own shit!

Dallas,

I think i saw you at 2012 hub city fitness where I competed in heavyweights , were you wearing like a sleeveless leather vest?
    WTF !!!

yeah that was a stupid question lol

no worries ill just ask Carl if he can hook it up. I dont know why i thought you could up up a free one day pass when i come there, which isnt that often anyways. regardless golds of Jackson is super nice

Dallas,

sleeveless shirt, not leather vest. LOL

I actually train at Humboldt Fitness in Humboldt, but yeah man any time you come this way let me know.

Hey Dallas, Im a huge fan bro, i reckon you will be mr olympia 1 day bro, its mad to see how you were able to turn ifbb pro after very little time dude, true respect despite what these assholes say on this board haha, i was just curious if you could give an outline of how your offseason training routine, cheers bro, all the best with your bright future

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic Moralo View Post
    Hey Dallas, Im a huge fan bro, i reckon you will be mr olympia 1 day bro, its mad to see how you were able to turn ifbb pro after very little time dude, true respect despite what these assholes say on this board haha, i was just curious if you could give an outline of how your offseason training routine, cheers bro, all the best with your bright future
    Thanks for the complements bro. My routines and actual workouts change pretty much every time I train each body part.
    But as of recent my split goes as this.

Chest
    Back
    Off
    Shoulders
    Arms
    Legs
    Off

cool bro, in regaurds to repetition speed, how do you train? would you lessen the weight and perform the movement slowly and really get a feel for the movement or would you rather a more explosive pace during the set, also what rep range would you go for during training

Quote Originally Posted by Domenic Moralo View Post
    cool bro, in regaurds to repetition speed, how do you train? would you lessen the weight and perform the movement slowly and really get a feel for the movement or would you rather a more explosive pace during the set, also what rep range would you go for during training
    My training has always been pretty instinctual, as far as rest time goes it depends on what I am training but typically I never start my next set before I feel like I can get the most out of it. That may be 30 seconds or 3-5 minutes, either way I want to get the most possible intensity out of every set. How I perform each exercise really depends on the exercise its self. For example how I perform dead lifts is going to be nothing like my mind set while doing concentration curls. Like I said i just think it is about getting the maximum amount of intensity and muscle contraction on each rep.

Barbarian christianausdemspreewald's Avatar

Hey Dallas,what is your current status? Weight,Bf..of many pictures you looks big but lean. Oh man you looks not like off season :-)
    Best greetings from germany
    Christian

www.body-xtreme.com
    The real and only... http://www.body-xtreme.de

Dallas congrats on the new pro status!

can you explain the process of how you got sponsored, how you approached or they approached you?

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast