Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REMEMBERING SERGIO

Default REMEMBERING SERGIO

REMEMBERING SERGIOH!

So there I sat at the Victoria Palace Theater, London on Saturday afternoon, September 18, 1971. Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" was top of the charts, in soccer Brian Clough’s Derby County (you will be riveted to hear) were on course to win the English First Division, Nixon was in the White House and I, wearing bell-bottoms, sideburns and an exaggerated lat spread, proudly made my way to my seat to witness that year's NABBA Pro Universe. I was the kiddie, down in the Big Smoke for my once a year outing with the rest of the gang from Stewart’s Gym Nottingham, for the big event of the year where we took ample opportunity to strut and flex our growing stuff with the rest of the nation's muscle wannabes.
    The previous year I had witnessed Arnold win the Pro Universe with Reg Park second and Dave Draper third. This year the big names were Bill Pearl, Sergio Oliva and Reg Park again. This clash I would take in my stride. After all, at 22, I was a veteran of all this, had read all the mags, and was in my own quiet understated fashion a Weider Wild Cat -- a blurb that accompanied many of Uncle Joe's ads of the day.
    Pearl, aged 42 and after a four year layoff, came on and at 242 purported pounds was stupendous; an amalgam of shape and proportion accentuated by exquisite posing -- synchronicity in motion. I was impressed.
    And then it happened. Out ambled (there is no better word to describe his gait) Sergio Oliva and at my first sight of him I shot back in my seat, nearly spilling my ice cream on my flowered shirt emblazoned with the logo, "Mungo Jerry World Tour 1970". I was shocked. I'd seen all the pics, read all the press, but nothing prepared me for my first sight of the Myth. He was just friggin' huge -- a wasp waist seemingly in risk of collapsing under the strain of the mighty dimensions of his upper body. His biceps were like ham hocks, his hanging triceps, no less so, his deltoids were as round as his shaven head, his chest swelled up like an inflatable life raft, and his thighs were so huge you guessed his tailor would have to work overtime to produce a pair of pants. When he hit the overhead Victory pose the hairs on the back of my head stood up as did many in the audience. I sat in awe, gobsmacked (silenced) by the sheer majesty, the sheer muscle of it all.
    In the final analysis Bill Pearl won the contest, but Sergio won my senses. Forty-one years later I can state unequivocally that I never again felt such awe in seeing a physique for the first time. Sergio, thanks for all the great memories and Rest in Peace. You may have left us but your legacy will live and be celebrated in our community as long as weights are lifted. There will never, ever be another Myth.

That was fantastic Peter! Those of us who were lucky enough to see Sergio in person have all felt the same way. I've seen a lot of bodybuilders and a lot of bodybuilding contests in my life but NO ONE impressed me more than The Myth! RIP Sergio, there will never be another like you again.

R.I.P. Sergio... I will always wish for a physique like yours.... You will be missed
    Women I admire: Beni Lopez, Adina Zanolli, Lisa Calhoun, Darlene Reid, Mikaila Soto, Leslie Morris. Yea, i said it!!

Sergio was the first life-like Super Hero cartoon character! You could only have drawn up a physigue like that on paper, then Sergio came along.
    IFBB PRO- ​Darkwire.. from ICELAND..lmaooo

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

Im reading Arnold's autobiography, and he said Sergio was like a cartoon character when he saw him that first time in 1969

IFBB PRO - Beni Lopez / Moderator / Forum Facilitator lil mama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    Im reading Arnold's autobiography, and he said Sergio was like a cartoon character when he saw him that first time in 1969
    you read books lol, just kidding BIGGIE<3

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    QFT..
    IFBB PRO- ​Darkwire.. from ICELAND..lmaooo

My first encounter with the "Myth"-

I was 19 years old training at Star Gym in Brea, Ca. for my chance to become IFBB Jr. World in Australia to be held in December in Sydney.

It was a hot summer in 1986 and I had alot to be thankful for. At that time I had already won the NPC Teen Mr. Orange County, Teen Mr. California and Teen National Championships and was hungry for the World Title!

I remember it was close to my birthday in September as I had registered for College when after school I was training in the gym and the guy behind the front desk told me we had new member in the gym.

I started to stretch and warm up when she walked out of the bathroom and she asked me if I was preparing to compete, I said yes the Jr. Mr. World.
    She replied really? Then you know my husband. I'm like "I do? Is he in the show with me? lol"

You must know Sergio Oliva right? D'oh!!!!

Of course, he's the Myth I love that guy! She said then you probably heard what happend and I replied of course I do, I'm just glad he didnt die.

Now the ackward moment of silence..............

Well, how did you wind up here? Why are you not in jail?

Then came the long diatribe of how the events unfolded and came about in Self Defence.

While that is all well and good, I felt for the Champ in more ways then one, he reminded me of my father.

She was a member for a short while and slowly disappeared in my contest preparation as I focused on school and the show, she simply disappeared and I never saw or heard of her again.

Fast forward, 1990 I was a full fledged Pro with the Ironman as my recent Victory, then later that year I was all set to appear in the 1990 Mr. Olympia in Chicago in Sept.

Low and behold, I was face to face with Sergio who was looking like Superman and the picture of health. I was stunned that he was nearly my height, as I had built him into a 7ft- 400lb Monster!!!!

It was a welcome relief to see that he was a Mortal Man, who had a sense of humor, class and confidence that I was drawn to! He knew he was forever Mr. Olympia and carried himself as such.

Back stage at this show, I was able to talk with him, he shared some of the events that took place and I fell in love with his delivery of some of his background.

We ran into each other at several other Mr. Olympia Contests including the Reunion of the Class of Mr. Olympia Winners the year I placed 2nd! Sergio went out of his way to tell me I should have won that year.

In 1996, in Chicago again, he felt I was the winner which really after hearing that from him was a victory for me!

I made my Inside & Out DVD in 2001 and featured a backstage clip of me shaking hands with The Myth and now he is forever immortalized in my film which I have shown my kids and will continue to share with everyone who loved him!

God Bless The Myth and Respect to his family & Friends
    RIP

SR

Sergio Shooting Article 1986-
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...up-seven-times

Beach Body

Fantastic story Mr. McGough. There will truly never be another one like the Myth.

No one can write an obituary for a bodybuilder like Peter McGough, just like no other champion will be like Sergio Oliva, the first modern bodybuilder.

Peter is a welcome Edition to the MD Family!

Thank goodness we have him!

Strength & Honor!

Banned

R.I.P. Sergio

Great stories from Mr.McGough and Shawn Ray. Thank you for sharing. Sergio will always be the Myth in our hearts.

RIP

Quote Originally Posted by goldenera View Post
    Great stories from Mr.McGough and Shawn Ray. Thank you for sharing. Sergio will always be the Myth in our hearts.

RIP
    I also love Mr. McGough's vast knowledge and his personal take on the history of the sport (please MD, we want some more). I remember as a youngling my first glimpse at the iconic picture of Mr. Oliva in a Robert Kennedy book - the myth holding a pool cue, the wooden dowel parallel to his body pronouncing his mass in comparison to ridiculous levels, his shirt sleeves on the verge of splitting and insulting the most accomplished tailor, fedora resting cooly on his head. I was fourteen, and one glance at that picture told my blood that it would forever carry a passion for the iron game. Thank you Myth. You will always be revered, you will always be remembered.

Default This is also historic. The first of the Mr. Olympians to pass away.

Quote Originally Posted by world-pharma View Post
    R.I.P. Sergio
    I remember when Steve Reeves passed.

RIP Sergio, much love and respect. one of the true greats to ever be on the stage

R.I.P. Sergio. THE GENETIC FREAK
    All statements made herein are fictional and are solely for entertainment purposes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast