Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Evan Centopani Meets Toughest Fan - VIDEO! Plus update from Chris After Surgery.

Thumbs up Evan Centopani Meets Toughest Fan - VIDEO! Plus update from Chris After Surgery.

Update from Chris two weeks after heart surgery:

Just thought I'd let you know that I had my heart surgery about two weeks ago and have been recovering ever since. Also everything went very well and things are for the first in awhile looking very bright right now. It is currently just a matter of waiting until I'm out of the hospital to get some more scans to truly show I am 100% cancer free but they say everything turned out better than expected and luck is on my side! Just thought I'd keep you you and the boys updated and hope your doing great!
    Your Friend,
    Chris

On November 14th, Animal received this email from Chris Slavin, a 22-year old aspiring bodybuilder from New Jersey, who was diagnosed with a very rare form of hear cancer earlier this year:

“My name is Chris Slavin, I am 22 years old and was recently diagnosed with heart cancer. If you haven't heard of it, don't be discouraged because the disease is so rare that it only affects .0001% of the population. I was first diagnosed with a tumor in my heart in June 2012 and had open heart surgery to remove it. In July, the biopsy came back that my tumor was malignant and that I would have to receive chemotherapy treatment using two of the strongest chemos known to man. In the middle of September I finished 3 rounds of chemo and right now I am in the stages of receiving a heart transplant because no amount of chemo or radiation would have been able to kill all the tumorous cancer in my body. Right now this is the third week I have been waiting and I am hoping that it comes soon since I have not had a treatment in awhile and each day there is a chance that it could spread. Everyday I pray and hope that even after the surgery is over the cancer will not come back because according to, New York Presbyterian Hospital, only seventeen patients throughout the world have undergone this type of heart transplantation, and tumor free survival beyond two years has thus far been seen in only 3 patients. As you can see my life has completely been flipped upside down from being a very healthy, 22 year old college student (I was natural except for taking the test boosting supplements so maybe some may say I'm not completely natural but regardless I was planning on going on the real gear last summer if all this had not happened), to a weak, little, scared kid fighting for his life. I know you probably get these kinds of stories all the time however, all I would like to ask these favors from you. First, a letter back from the real Evan Centopani and maybe even an autographed poster if you could pull some strings so I could hang on the hospital wall (if you can't don't worry about it because I understand). Second, if your ever in NY and could maybe come visit me since I know you travel a lot and do guest appearances all the time I would love to be able to meet you in person since you are one of my heroes and I am very sick and cannot travel outside the hospital. Again, I completely understand if you can't come because of your busy schedule and all but it would be awesome to meet you in person. Hopefully if I beat this thing I'll be able to see you one day at the Olympia, BB show or a bodybuilding convention or something. Lastly, Bodybuilding was my life and I loved, lived, breathed, ate, and dreamt, about getting bigger every day and would like to pursue that dream after my recovery if everything goes as planned. Thank you for taking the time and reading this message and please pass this along to Evan for me! Also good luck with everything and your shows - Your fan for life, Chris Slavin”

A few days ago, I was asked if I had free time today, November 20th. When I asked why, I was told that plans had been made to have Evan pay a surprise visit to Chris in the hospital to personally deliver some autographed posters – and would I be interested in going as well. Of course I said yes.

So we met in the lobby of the hospital, along with staff from Muscular Development (Animal reached out to them as well to ramp up the excitement for Chris). I brought along some gifts for Chris including Animal t-shirts and a gym bag. The staff at the hospital went in first to make sure Chris was up for visitors. Chris needed a few minutes to get ready but then welcomed us in, being a big fan of the Animal and Ox. In fact, Chris had on a red iconic Animal t-shirt when we walked in.

Let me tell you, Chris was blown away by meeting Ox in person. He and Ox talked for a while and I was amazed at the strength and will of this kid. Ox gave him a book that was passed on to him and personally autographed to Ox but he wanted Chris to have it. It was a very special moment. Ox also signed some Animal posters for him to hang in his hospital room. I was moved – to go through what he is going through at 22 is just amazing. He is going to come out of this stronger than ever, I know it.

Chris’s spirits were brought up today through the generosity of Ox, Animal & MD. As Chris sits and waits for a heart transplant donor (it’s been 6 weeks in the hospital so far), he can look at the posters that Ox signed and find some inspiration and strength. He hopes to get back to full health and can train again soon. I know he will make it. Though MD and I couldn’t stay long, do you want to know what? Ox stayed there in that hospital room for another three hours. I think that tells you something about the kind of bodybuilder and man Ox is. I’m really glad we drove up to make a difference in Chris’ life.

Last edited by Adina Zanolli; November 21st, 2012 at 10:53 AM.

Fucking Awesome i wish i could do shit like that probably one of the only reasons i would like to be well known.
    I back eees normal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Zb92IfHkI

Great, great story and gesture... That kid has got some real strength. Wish him nuthin but the best.

Atlas

I just saw this on facebook and was about to press submit thread but I thought I should check one last time before doing it. I couldn't think of a bad ass thread name after 10 minutes.

cool stuff Evan

Bro Scientist

What a nice gesture.

I'm not one for welling up all that much but wow. I struggled with that one. Evan... God bless you man. I want updated with how Chris is keeping throughout.

Huge respect to Ev and NG for truly making a difference in the world and touching someone so profoundly.

Very proud to be a member of the family today. Wishing Chris only strength and good fortune on his journey.

Peace, G

Nobody

Very nice of evan, animal and md to do this. bodybuilding might be a selfish sport but we know how to show love when need be!!

Great story. Wishing Chris a successful recovery.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
    #1 masters raw 275 powerlifter regardless of federation according to Powerliftingwatch
    rawpowerlifter.com

Awesome! only Animal!

I know MD took a bunch more pictures, they will be posting them up.

I was really inspired by Chris's strength today

Glad to see this kind of stuff.

Hope the best for Chris.. I'm 22 as well and can't even imagine how hard it must be for him. That's awesome for Evan, Animal and MD to do that for him! Hope we get updates about Chris' progress!

Spotter

Wow...just wow..

Hearing about others in these kinds of circumstances really forces you to put your life into perspective. I really do feel for Chris and wish him the best...

I'm once again, shocked at the generosity of the whole Universal/Animal company. I've always truly believed you guys to be different from everyone else (both the company and the athletes alike), and this just proves it. You guys are amazing, please never change.

Spotter

Some stories are worth sharing. This is one of those! Thank you and God Bless!

Spotter

Pretty sad scenario but what you guys did was very respectable.

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

wow,Animal,md and Evan doing the right thing and reminding us how fragile life can be. all the best to chris and his family.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast