Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 68

Thread: 24 hour fitness: lakewood ca mall, death a result of excessive weigth being used in bench press

  1. #18
    Guest
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,367

    Default

    Honestly, if you're benching 400 on an open bench with only one female spotting you, you're not thinking and it's your fault. Not the gyms.

  2. #19
    Titan Sexybeast777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    16,667
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    I HATE Smith machines, never liked them, I would never, ever use one
    Plus bi also means i have more choices than you, thats all._DKalban

  3. #20
    Beast Bobby Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9,010
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCatastrophe View Post
    I live REALLY close to it and actually know a bunch of employees there. I have heard nothing. Would not surprise me though the smith machine there has been fucked since they remodelled it. It was "fixed" but never really. Hoist is supposed to be top of the line but they are bullshit.

    Yep lol hoist is dogshit.
    "When a vacuum was a badge of honor." - Pecan



  4. #21
    Beast Bobby Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    9,010
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sexybeast777 View Post
    I HATE Smith machines, never liked them, I would never, ever use one

    What if someone guaranteed you that you would be Mr. O if you sunk down and used a smith machine. Would you use one then?!
    "When a vacuum was a badge of honor." - Pecan



  5. #22
    Titan Sexybeast777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    16,667
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    ^well maybe then consider it
    Plus bi also means i have more choices than you, thats all._DKalban

  6. #23
    Spotter Cyberpump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    325
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Frankly, I am shocked this doesn't happen more often given the number of people that lift and the very poor judgement that is used with respect to spotting and spotters in general.
    Cyberpump! - The Home of High Intensity Training (HIT) - http://www.cyberpump.com

  7. #24
    IFBB Hall of Fame Shawn Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    17,960

    Default

    Sad.

    RIP


    Strength & Honor!

  8. #25
    Beach Body CrazyBaldhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    987
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Ray View Post

    RIP


    Strength & Honor!
    What does strength and honor have to do with RIP, cut it out already.

  9. #26
    Beast TGC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,263
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpump View Post
    Frankly, I am shocked this doesn't happen more often given the number of people that lift and the very poor judgement that is used with respect to spotting and spotters in general.
    It's a game of odds. Not enough people are using enough weight to kill them when it drops. Most of those who do probably have surrounded themselves with lifters at that level, therefore aren't in the same danger. On top of having the knowledge to know when to rack it or bust another rep. People get stuck and drop weight all the time. It's just smaller weight that results or no, or minor, injury
    "I think Arnold had the sexiest body of all time... Arnold had that charming boy look and a body of a stallion"-google&pubmed

  10. #27
    Spotter
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Posts
    216
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    That sucks. My shithole of a gym that I go to (LA Fitness) has faulty Smith machines.. They don't fully lock half the time. Had the bar slam down on my head with 2 45's on each side once after I "locked" it. They also have a leg press machine that is 'Out of Order' once a week that came unlocked on me. At least the stoppers worked on that one.

  11. #28
    Spotter LadderMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    392
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Yall are kinda being fucksticks about this! You dont even know all the details and are calling him a dumb ass. Is it his fault, ultimately, yes it is. But damn! How much weight will kill you if it hits just right? That USC player dropped a lighter weight on his throat, didnt kill him but put him in the hospital for 3 weeks and that was a lighter wieght. If he had a GUY spotter, you think they could have stopped it from crushing him if he truely dropped it? Hell no! How many of you guys lift with one partner? Hell, 3 spotters might not catch all of the weight before it hits him. I use a rack but dont think twice about weight I can do 5 times. You think 305 would kill me? what about 270 for 10-12 if my grip slipped? Hell, 225 across your throat might do the trick. Just sayin, some of you might be a bit hypocritical. my $.02
    My job allows me to break shit without consequences or repercussions!!

  12. #29
    Guest
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LadderMan View Post
    Yall are kinda being fucksticks about this! You dont even know all the details and are calling him a dumb ass. Is it his fault, ultimately, yes it is. But damn! How much weight will kill you if it hits just right? That USC player dropped a lighter weight on his throat, didnt kill him but put him in the hospital for 3 weeks and that was a lighter wieght. If he had a GUY spotter, you think they could have stopped it from crushing him if he truely dropped it? Hell no! How many of you guys lift with one partner? Hell, 3 spotters might not catch all of the weight before it hits him. I use a rack but dont think twice about weight I can do 5 times. You think 305 would kill me? what about 270 for 10-12 if my grip slipped? Hell, 225 across your throat might do the trick. Just sayin, some of you might be a bit hypocritical. my $.02
    Noone is calling him a dumbass. My personal opinion is you don't bench over your Bodyweight without safeties or spotters/ or both. A single female cant upright row 405. He made bad choices.

  13. #30
    Amateur Threat PatrickT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Tasting Heaven
    Posts
    1,940
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    A lot of the reasons for equipment being fucked up, is people coming in the gym with that stupid fuckin Branch Warren thought on training. Slamming fuckin weights and Equipment Mimicking what they see on video. Let's be honest here, this is the reason for it. Now cable equipment, some have engineering faults as i learned from someone at 24hr Ontario. The gentleman was checking equipment and i asked about a piece of machinery if he knew when it would be fixed. I see guys every single fuckin time i go to this gym, Slamming weights and doing that fuckin circle walk to see if anyone is watching them, or the Cholo walk with the rag on his head and chicken legs walking around like he's king kong. So LA Fitness, 24hr Fitnes, Gold's, World's gym and any other gyms need to put a foot in the asses of these individuals fucking up equipment. Seriously?????????!!!!!!!! Fuck Profit!!!!!!!
    Women I admire: Beni Lopez, Adina Zanolli, Lisa Calhoun, Darlene Reid, Mikaila Soto, Leslie Morris. Yea, i said it!!

  14. #31
    Amateur Threat ChrisCatastrophe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,350
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_mofoman View Post
    That sucks. My shithole of a gym that I go to (LA Fitness) has faulty Smith machines.. They don't fully lock half the time. Had the bar slam down on my head with 2 45's on each side once after I "locked" it. They also have a leg press machine that is 'Out of Order' once a week that came unlocked on me. At least the stoppers worked on that one.
    When I worked at 24 a guy was using the smith machine for some shoulder presses and tried locking it and I guess thought he did and had the thing slam on his head. I think he had Almost three plates.luckily he was okay and only had a concussion pretty scary.

  15. #32
    Bro Scientist dave415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,968

    Default

    You see it all the time.. ppl mimicking videos of Kai, Branch, Levrone, etc...

    You see guys all the time trying to bench over 400lbs, DL'ing 600lbs, BB press 315lbs,

    leave that shit to the PRO's ffs..
    IFBB PRO- ​Darkwire.. from ICELAND..lmaooo

  16. #33
    Bro Scientist
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,105
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave415 View Post
    You see it all the time.. ppl mimicking videos of Kai, Branch, Levrone, etc...

    You see guys all the time trying to bench over 400lbs, DL'ing 600lbs, BB press 315lbs,

    leave that shit to the PRO's ffs
    ..
    BRO, when I hit the gym floor, I go hard AND SACRIFICE WITHOUT REGRETS. TRUE BODYBUILDER.

  17. #34
    Spotter The Oak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    129

    Default

    This is unfortunate regardless of the cause. RIP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •