Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Re: Dorian.....

doesnt live to see 70

After even just seeing pics of Vic Richards I have no idea how he wasn't a bigger name in bodybuilding

Dorian is my favorite natural bodybuilder of all time.

Dedicated Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    My two cents
    Only in bodybuilding does it seem the perception exists that anyone if they train hard enough and exhibit extreme dedication can become the best in their sport. What is needed is not merely good genetics, but great genetics. Tiger Woods is super dedicated but his golfing prowess is overwhelmingly down to the fact that he was born with a gift to master the intricate techniques of guiding a ball around a golf course. In tennis Roger Federer trains like a Titan but he has won a record 17 Grand Slam titles because fate bequeathed him the ability to attain world beating racket skills. Same with bodybuilding. To be a champion you need those great genetics. Being born with narrow clavicles, wide hips, short legs, a long trunk and short muscle insertions is not a resume destined to disrupt Phil Heath’s sleeping habits. So for starters to make it at the top level you must have a good skeletal structure.
    In addition what is then needed is a superior ability to respond to progressive resistance training and accumulate muscle mass. Kerry Kayes, British Masters champion, past promoter of the English Grand Prix and contest prep advisor illustrates that latter point very well: “Imagine that a normal person is born with two bricklayers inside him which help to build muscle. And imagine that a future Mr. Olympia is born with seven bricklayers inside him. The normal person may take a load of gear and double his muscle building ability and end up with four bricklayers, which still isn’t as many as Mr. Olympia beforr he starts the gear.” Following on from that rationale it’s a personal contention that it is those less genetically gifted who take the most drugs: But that’s an argument for another time.
    Much respect Peter but have to disagree with you on some of your assertions. To use Tiger Woods as an example he was not freakishly gifted from the gods with golfing talent, rather he was freakishly raised from birth to be a golfing machine by his father. Reading Matthew Syed's book "Bounce" is a good starting point for uncovering the true nature of apparent 'sporting genius' in activities involving some level of skill.

The perennial drug dosage debate aside I would quite comfortably make the statement that in no other sport is the word 'genetics' used anywhere near as frequently as in bodybuilding in explaining performance, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourlastchance89 View Post
    After even just seeing pics of Vic Richards I have no idea how he wasn't a bigger name in bodybuilding
    He never competed in a pro show.

Quote Originally Posted by pewee View Post
    But isnt it the case that they do indeed stop growing?
    Look at Phil from the Olympia in 2008, he hasnt grown that much, just a few tweaks here and there.
    Its the same with most Pros, they are hardly any different from when they become a pro to years later size wise.
    I agree with you, but FarrellZach is trying to say that they only stop growing because they don't want to get any bigger, as it would ruin their lines. Heath is being very careful in that sense, but there are plenty of other pro's who have indeed kept trying to get as huge as possible, but reached points where they were unable to get any bigger no matter how much they juiced and ate. He doesn't think that's correct, he really does think that as long as you keep upping the dose and food intake, growth will continue until the day they die - kind of like an anaconda or a crocodile.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Those are the 'biggest' men I ever saw in person, in terms of just freaky, full, round muscles.
    ALL blacks??? Racist post reported.
    All I need to do is be me , if you like me great if you don't then move along cause I don't have time for nonsense..... Lil Mama

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Dunbar View Post
    I suppose I could have thrown Dorian in there - but I usually only saw him once a year, on stage. The other guys I saw training and attending shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Dunbar View Post
    LOL

This thread can be never ending LOL. As will have always everyone opinion on how gear should be used. Nobody wins arguments, everyone will still have their own opinion, BUT some will be offended.

As far as Dorian drug use, only Dorian knows what he did, all else is simply speculation and rumors.

And no I dont believe he ran less than 1g of test.

Bro Scientist

If you asked Dorian what his contest cycle was for the 1994 Olympia (or another specific show), do you think he could tell you milligram for milligram everything he used off the top of his head?

Quote Originally Posted by Kontour View Post
    If you asked Dorian what his contest cycle was for the 1994 Olympia (or another specific show), do you think he could tell you milligram for milligram everything he used off the top of his head?
    Off the top of his head, no. But he kept detailed logs of his workouts and meals, I would assume he also kept track of his gear use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Off the top of his head, no. But he kept detailed logs of his workouts and meals, I would assume he also kept track of his gear use.
    for once I would like to see a debate and questions on how(in this case Dorian) truly ate(on and off season), mindset, cardio, rest which are the BIG keys to why Dorian was Dorian.

Anyone can get bigger and more cut with drugs, eating etc even with the right structure and muscle bellies and genetics, but what makes the cut between a top amatuer or pro type of physique is alot more than just that because if it wasnt these boards would be full of guys with top physiques.

Wasnt it dorian who said back in the day that if he had flex wheelersn genetics he would have been mr 10 times over.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Hungwell View Post
    for once I would like to see a debate and questions on how(in this case Dorian) truly ate(on and off season), mindset, cardio, rest which are the BIG keys to why Dorian was Dorian.

Anyone can get bigger and more cut with drugs, eating etc even with the right structure and muscle bellies and genetics, but what makes the cut between a top amatuer or pro type of physique is alot more than just that because if it wasnt these boards would be full of guys with top physiques.

Wasnt it dorian who said back in the day that if he had flex wheelersn genetics he would have been mr 10 times over.
    If Flex had Dorian's mindset, Flex would've been Mr. O 10x

But nice post, we've heard Levrone went through some dark shit at the top.
    BuiltByMetal.com
    MetalGearClothing.com

Bro Scientist Danny Manslaughter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by farrellzach View Post
    If Flex had Dorian's mindset, Flex would've been Mr. O 10x

But nice post, we've heard Levrone went through some dark shit at the top.
    What kind of dark shit?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Manslaughter View Post
    What kind of dark shit?
    From what he's said in interviews (which may be exaggeration, may not be) he thought about killing himself quite a bit.
    BuiltByMetal.com
    MetalGearClothing.com

Bro Scientist Danny Manslaughter's Avatar

Is there any truth to the rumors he was a heavy drinker? Seems a little far-fetched.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast