Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 24

Thread: Coach PT 2

  1. #1
    Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Holiday, Florida
    Posts
    26,057

    Default Coach PT 2

    So, im all for hiring a coach. There are some really good ones, and im sure there are some that are not so good. HOWEVER, is it a bad thing to at least TRY and do a prep on your own? To try and get to know YOUR body? Ive never used a prep coach (however, im considering one for next year), and ive done ok. Is it harder and more stressful, maybe, but you know when your in shape. If you are shredded the Sunday before the show, then you should be shredded the next week. Keep it simple

  2. #2
    Iron Addict Sacrifice Without Regrets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3,368
    Gender
    Female

    Default

    "Trying" is a disability built into human brains.

    I should say, nowadays human brains.

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    So, im all for hiring a coach. There are some really good ones, and im sure there are some that are not so good. HOWEVER, is it a bad thing to at least TRY and do a prep on your own? To try and get to know YOUR body? Ive never used a prep coach (however, im considering one for next year), and ive done ok. Is it harder and more stressful, maybe, but you know when your in shape. If you are shredded the Sunday before the show, then you should be shredded the next week. Keep it simple

  3. #3
    Iron Addict Matt Porter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,657
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Agreed Mike.

    -Matt
    MPA Muscle Intrusion -- www.truenutrition.com
    Coupon MATTP

  4. #4
    Beast D-NUTZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    10,122
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    So, im all for hiring a coach. There are some really good ones, and im sure there are some that are not so good. HOWEVER, is it a bad thing to at least TRY and do a prep on your own? To try and get to know YOUR body? Ive never used a prep coach (however, im considering one for next year), and ive done ok. Is it harder and more stressful, maybe, but you know when your in shape. If you are shredded the Sunday before the show, then you should be shredded the next week. Keep it simple
    QFT!!!

    I love doing things on my own, it's what makes bodybuilding fun.

    That being said, I am not opposed to hiring someone if I ever had extra money to throw around, especially for training.
    DISCOUNT CODES!!!!
    10% OFF BlackStoneLabs - DNUTZ10 - http://blackstonelabs.co/
    20% OFF Prime Nutrition - DNUTZ20 - http://primenutrition.com/

    PM me if you have any questions!

  5. #5
    Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Holiday, Florida
    Posts
    26,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D-NUTZ View Post
    QFT!!!

    I love doing things on my own, it's what makes bodybuilding fun.

    That being said, I am not opposed to hiring someone if I ever had extra money to throw around, especially for training.
    If I could afford it, I would SO hire someone, but I think that doing your own thing once or twice will help you when you work with someone.

    I dont know CRAP! Not as much as Matt or Meadows or Noel. So having some extra knowledge cant hurt

  6. #6
    Iron Addict farrellzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,881
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    IMO, the only thing you should really NEED a coach for is the last 7-10 days or so. More for water manipulation and diuretics.

    You should be able to get lean as fuck on your own with all there is to read online.
    www.builtbymetal.com/forum
    John Meadows live video Q & A coming early next month! Get signed up.

  7. #7
    Beach Body
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    404
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    So, im all for hiring a coach. There are some really good ones, and im sure there are some that are not so good. HOWEVER, is it a bad thing to at least TRY and do a prep on your own? To try and get to know YOUR body? Ive never used a prep coach (however, im considering one for next year), and ive done ok. Is it harder and more stressful, maybe, but you know when your in shape. If you are shredded the Sunday before the show, then you should be shredded the next week. Keep it simple
    I'm 100% with you for the most part. I've never competed and if I decided to, I'd do it on my own. The one area where I think someone that's never done it before needs help is that final week. From what I understand, you can ruin everything in that week. I feel I have the ability to get myself shredded but I don't know if I could dial it in 100% on the day that matters most on my own.

  8. #8
    Iron Addict
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,389

    Default

    There's a mental component that very FEW coaches touch upon and in my opinion - those few are worth their weight in gold. Also it doesn't hurt to work with someone that has expertise beyond you. I've prepped myself twice...and placed well, while shredded and doing everything I could, I still could not get clarity in the glutes and hamstrings...so why wouldn't you hire a guy with a track record of bringing in people like that? Saves you the trial and error experience.

  9. #9
    Forum Judge Noel Fuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,337

    Default

    at 7-5 weeks out most people have body dysmorphia either from the stress of the competition or the rigors of a diet, its great to have a trained eye to keep you on track, for some people its worth the money to come in with help.

  10. #10
    MD Staff Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    37,521

    Default

    I have never had a coach, but I do have people I trust to be blunt and honest - that's gold.

    As for the final week manipulations, that's great; but like BMC said - if you look shredded a week out, doing nothing different seems to have a higher success rate than anything coaches do. Even Hany, Farah, and Aceto don't bring their guys in perfectly every time. Seems as if that tightrope between being bone-dry and full vs. flat as shit or the worst, watery is a very thin line.

  11. #11
    Beast D-NUTZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    10,122
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    I have never had a coach, but I do have people I trust to be blunt and honest - that's gold.

    As for the final week manipulations, that's great; but like BMC said - if you look shredded a week out, doing nothing different seems to have a higher success rate than anything coaches do. Even Hany, Farah, and Aceto don't bring their guys in perfectly every time. Seems as if that tightrope between being bone-dry and full vs. flat as shit or the worst, watery is a very thin line.
    I don't think it's rocket science...if you're that ready a week before....just drink a little less water and eat a few more carbs the day before.
    DISCOUNT CODES!!!!
    10% OFF BlackStoneLabs - DNUTZ10 - http://blackstonelabs.co/
    20% OFF Prime Nutrition - DNUTZ20 - http://primenutrition.com/

    PM me if you have any questions!

  12. #12
    Forum Judge Noel Fuller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    9,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D-NUTZ View Post
    I don't think it's rocket science...if you're that ready a week before....just drink a little less water and eat a few more carbs the day before.
    Welcome to third place

  13. #13
    Beast D-NUTZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    10,122
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Fuller View Post
    Welcome to third place
    Even if you are ready?

    I honestly don't know.
    DISCOUNT CODES!!!!
    10% OFF BlackStoneLabs - DNUTZ10 - http://blackstonelabs.co/
    20% OFF Prime Nutrition - DNUTZ20 - http://primenutrition.com/

    PM me if you have any questions!

  14. #14
    MD Staff Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    37,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noel Fuller View Post
    Welcome to third place
    At the USA or Nationals, sure. But at the local level I have rarely ever seen it so close that if one guy was just a little drier he would have won.

  15. #15
    MD Staff Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    37,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by D-NUTZ View Post
    Even if you are ready?

    I honestly don't know.
    If you have striated glutes, you are about as ready as you will be. Most competitors aren't that extremely lean, and look to all the water and carb manipulation to work magic on them.

  16. #16
    MD Staff Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    37,521

    Default

    Can't tell you how many times I have seen someone at a week out or so who clearly wasn't as lean as he or she should have been, and they assure me they will be fine 'once I drop my water.' 99 times out of 100, what they need to drop is fat, and it ain't gonna happen in a week.

  17. #17
    Beast D-NUTZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    10,122
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    If you have striated glutes, you are about as ready as you will be. Most competitors aren't that extremely lean, and look to all the water and carb manipulation to work magic on them.
    Striated glutes is my goal for my first show.
    DISCOUNT CODES!!!!
    10% OFF BlackStoneLabs - DNUTZ10 - http://blackstonelabs.co/
    20% OFF Prime Nutrition - DNUTZ20 - http://primenutrition.com/

    PM me if you have any questions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •