Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 54

Thread: Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery

  1. #18
    Beach Body pman100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    967

    Default

    I found out I have lymphoma in 2005. I have gone thru chemo twice now (once in 2005 and just finished a 2nd time this past Feb). In 2009 I had a CT scan (yearly check up) and had several nodes growing in different places like my head and abdomen. With follicular lymphoma you don't always go right to treatment so we did nothing at that time.

    I started a low carb diet to get ready for shows in 2010. I did the shows late in 2010 and had another CT scan in Dec of that year.

    Most of the growth I had one year earlier had either gotten smaller or had stayed the same size.

    just saying.

  2. #19
    Beach Body pman100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    967

    Default

    PET scan - they actually give you a radiated SUGAR solution and an hour later they scan you to see where it went in your body. If you do have cancer, the area will light up on the scan because that's where the sugar solution went.

  3. #20
    Beast Brutal Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pman100 View Post
    I found out I have lymphoma in 2005. I have gone thru chemo twice now (once in 2005 and just finished a 2nd time this past Feb). In 2009 I had a CT scan (yearly check up) and had several nodes growing in different places like my head and abdomen. With follicular lymphoma you don't always go right to treatment so we did nothing at that time.

    I started a low carb diet to get ready for shows in 2010. I did the shows late in 2010 and had another CT scan in Dec of that year.

    Most of the growth I had one year earlier had either gotten smaller or had stayed the same size.

    just saying.
    Interesting. did your docs know you were going to be using AAS for your prep, or did you not tell them? I wonder how that effects cancer cells too
    "Feel ill as fuck - not sure if it is protein powder or tren?"-bigdog123

  4. #21
    Beast Brutal Master's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,933

    Default

    so questions for everyone, does that mean that you should not eat carbs even if you are "cancer free" at the moment? and if so, does that mean eliminating even things like organic brown rice, coconut water, white rice, lentils, etc.?


    most guys bulk using these carbs, and add to the fact they are shooting slin, isnt that just flaming potential cancer in your bodies?
    "Feel ill as fuck - not sure if it is protein powder or tren?"-bigdog123

  5. #22

    Default

    If you read the study, they fed the mice a ratio of ~ 5:1 fat to protein (and it was a soybean oil based product too, imagine what improvements could be had with immune boosting fats like coconut oil!).

    Of course, all this being said one must keep in mind there are very few generalizations that can be made with respect to cancer - it is a deadly disease due to its extreme diversity and ability to mutate and adapt to changing conditions. If it were as simple as polio, we would have a cure by now, but it manifests itself in such an insane number of biological processes it is not a simple cure.

  6. #23
    Beach Body pman100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brutal Master View Post
    Interesting. did your docs know you were going to be using AAS for your prep, or did you not tell them? I wonder how that effects cancer cells too
    sorry, NEVER done any. Only thing I have ever done is HRT from a real legit doctor.

    Even IF I did them I would have stopped in 2005 when I found out I had it. I would assume it really would be like pouring gas on a fire (while standing in the middle of it).
    Last edited by pman100; December 14th, 2012 at 11:34 AM.

  7. #24
    Beach Body pman100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billmeek View Post
    If you read the study, they fed the mice a ratio of ~ 5:1 fat to protein (and it was a soybean oil based product too, imagine what improvements could be had with immune boosting fats like coconut oil!).

    Of course, all this being said one must keep in mind there are very few generalizations that can be made with respect to cancer - it is a deadly disease due to its extreme diversity and ability to mutate and adapt to changing conditions. If it were as simple as polio, we would have a cure by now, but it manifests itself in such an insane number of biological processes it is not a simple cure.

    VERY true.

  8. #25

    Default

    not to be a Debbie Downer, but an example of how generalizations with cancer treatment can be misleading is below:

    Ketone body utilization by breast and prostate tumors


    Simon Authier1, Sebastien Tremblay1, Veronique Dumulon1, Celena Dubuc1, Rene Ouellet1, Roger Lecomte1,Stephen Cunnane2 and Francois Benard11 Nuclear Medicine and Radiobiology; 2 Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
    1478
    Objectives: Cancer cells can utilize ketone bodies as alternatefuels to meet their requirements. A relation has been observedbetween the availability of the ketone bodies and their uptakeby tumor cells. The objective of this study was to evaluate11C-acetoacetate, a ketone body, as a potential tracer to measureketone body utilization by breast and prostate tumors. Methods:The biological properties of 11C-acetoacetate were evaluatedon three differents cell cultures : MC7-L1 and MC4-L2 (a nativemurine model of breast cancer) and PC-3 (human prostate cancercells). MC7-L1 and MC4-L2 cells were implanted in immunocompetentBALB/c mice whereas PC-3 cells were implanted to BALB/c nu/numice. The tumors were grown to a diameter of 5-7 mm. 11C-acetoacetatewas synthesized by reacting an enolate anion of acetone with11C-CO2, followed by hydrolysis and ion-exchange HPLC purification.The animals were sacrificed 5, 15, 30 and 60 min following injectionof 200-300 µCi of 11C-acetoacetate. The organs were takenand immediately weighed and counted to evaluate the percentageof the injected dose accumulated per gram of tissue (%i.d./gtissue). Results: The uptake of 11C-acetoacetate was optimalbetween 15 and 30 minutes, with maximal uptake of 2,72 %i.d./g.for the MC7-L2 tumors, 2.42 %i.d./g for the MC4-L1 and 3.05%i.d./g for the PC3 tumors. The peak tumor to muscle ratioswere obtained between 30 and 60 minutes : 4.5 ± 2.27for tumor MC7-L1, 3,62 ± 1.28 for tumor MC4-L2 and 3.01± 0.27 for tumor PC-3. In all tumors, a transient uptakewas observed followed by a progressive decrease in tumor radioactivity.The tumor retention of 11C-acetate was slightly lower than 11C-acetoacetatein these models, but not significantly. Further studies areunderway to assess the impact of dietary intake (ketogenic diet)on tumor ketone body utilization. Conclusions: We observed amoderate uptake of a 11C-acetoacetate in breast and prostatetumors, suggesting that ketone bodies are actively used as complementaryfuels to supply tumor energy requirements. While no cumulativetrapping was noted in these models, further experiments areongoing to compare this tracer to 11C-acetate for the detectionof slower-growing tumors.

  9. #26
    Guest
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billmeek View Post
    not to be a Debbie Downer, but an example of how generalizations with cancer treatment can be misleading is below:

    Ketone body utilization by breast and prostate tumors


    Simon Authier1, Sebastien Tremblay1, Veronique Dumulon1, Celena Dubuc1, Rene Ouellet1, Roger Lecomte1,Stephen Cunnane2 and Francois Benard11 Nuclear Medicine and Radiobiology; 2 Medicine, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
    1478
    Objectives: Cancer cells can utilize ketone bodies as alternatefuels to meet their requirements. A relation has been observedbetween the availability of the ketone bodies and their uptakeby tumor cells. The objective of this study was to evaluate11C-acetoacetate, a ketone body, as a potential tracer to measureketone body utilization by breast and prostate tumors. Methods:The biological properties of 11C-acetoacetate were evaluatedon three differents cell cultures : MC7-L1 and MC4-L2 (a nativemurine model of breast cancer) and PC-3 (human prostate cancercells). MC7-L1 and MC4-L2 cells were implanted in immunocompetentBALB/c mice whereas PC-3 cells were implanted to BALB/c nu/numice. The tumors were grown to a diameter of 5-7 mm. 11C-acetoacetatewas synthesized by reacting an enolate anion of acetone with11C-CO2, followed by hydrolysis and ion-exchange HPLC purification.The animals were sacrificed 5, 15, 30 and 60 min following injectionof 200-300 µCi of 11C-acetoacetate. The organs were takenand immediately weighed and counted to evaluate the percentageof the injected dose accumulated per gram of tissue (%i.d./gtissue). Results: The uptake of 11C-acetoacetate was optimalbetween 15 and 30 minutes, with maximal uptake of 2,72 %i.d./g.for the MC7-L2 tumors, 2.42 %i.d./g for the MC4-L1 and 3.05%i.d./g for the PC3 tumors. The peak tumor to muscle ratioswere obtained between 30 and 60 minutes : 4.5 ± 2.27for tumor MC7-L1, 3,62 ± 1.28 for tumor MC4-L2 and 3.01± 0.27 for tumor PC-3. In all tumors, a transient uptakewas observed followed by a progressive decrease in tumor radioactivity.The tumor retention of 11C-acetate was slightly lower than 11C-acetoacetatein these models, but not significantly. Further studies areunderway to assess the impact of dietary intake (ketogenic diet)on tumor ketone body utilization. Conclusions: We observed amoderate uptake of a 11C-acetoacetate in breast and prostatetumors, suggesting that ketone bodies are actively used as complementaryfuels to supply tumor energy requirements. While no cumulativetrapping was noted in these models, further experiments areongoing to compare this tracer to 11C-acetate for the detectionof slower-growing tumors.
    Well sure, if you're going to be all scientific about it!!

  10. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Centopani View Post
    When you look at what's going on with regard to cancer "treatment", it's really absurd. Nearly everyone either knows someone who has cancer or they themselves have cancer. And when you listen to their stories all you hear is how they underwent chemotherapy and or surgery and oftentimes, after having the shit beat out of them between the two, were told they are cancer free only to then have it return months or years down the road. Why?! Because nothing was ever done to address why each person's body was a hospitable environment for cancer to thrive in! It is KNOWN that cancer cannot thrive in an alkaline environment, a high oxygen environment or when there there is no sugar to fuel it! So, after wearing down the immune system with chemo and going back to the same lifestyle you always lived, why should anyone expect anything other than the return of cancer?! What amazes is me is that the doctors don't emphasize a change in lifestyle. And if you walk into any hospital and look at what's on the dinner plate of a cancer patient or any other patient it's borderline criminal. I have a tremendous amount of respect for surgeons who are more like mechanics/technicians than anything else. But most doctors are a joke...all they know how to do is push drugs and they almost never help "HEAL" anyone! Modern medicine, when it comes to healing patients and eradicating disease, is one big FAIL.
    Speaking for myself and my country, I see there's really no difference on this issue, this is exactly the picture i would convey. It makes me feel angry because it involves the whole world the same way and there seems to be no stopping it.

  11. #28
    Spotter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON, CANADA
    Posts
    350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Centopani View Post
    When you look at what's going on with regard to cancer "treatment", it's really absurd. Nearly everyone either knows someone who has cancer or they themselves have cancer. And when you listen to their stories all you hear is how they underwent chemotherapy and or surgery and oftentimes, after having the shit beat out of them between the two, were told they are cancer free only to then have it return months or years down the road. Why?! Because nothing was ever done to address why each person's body was a hospitable environment for cancer to thrive in! It is KNOWN that cancer cannot thrive in an alkaline environment, a high oxygen environment or when there there is no sugar to fuel it! So, after wearing down the immune system with chemo and going back to the same lifestyle you always lived, why should anyone expect anything other than the return of cancer?! What amazes is me is that the doctors don't emphasize a change in lifestyle. And if you walk into any hospital and look at what's on the dinner plate of a cancer patient or any other patient it's borderline criminal. I have a tremendous amount of respect for surgeons who are more like mechanics/technicians than anything else. But most doctors are a joke...all they know how to do is push drugs and they almost never help "HEAL" anyone! Modern medicine, when it comes to healing patients and eradicating disease, is one big FAIL.

  12. #29
    IFBB - PRO Evan Centopani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    8,425

    Default

    Brendon Doherty, who many of you know from this forum, was nice enough to spend some time talking me on the phone the other night. You guys should hear HIS story. Talk about full of win. As some of you have probably heard, he was diagnosed with liver cancer earlier this year, had over 75% of his liver removed and after recovering from 2 liver surgeries was told that there was still cancer in the remaining portion of his liver and that chemo would essentially be useless. From what I understand, he was basically sent home to die. Long story short, he explained that he made the decision to change his lifestyle by implementing diet changes etc etc. After 5 months of adhering to his protocol, he went in for a cat scan just a few days ago and the doctors were in disbelief because they were unable to find any trace of cancer anywhere in his body! I hope Brendon doesn't mind me speaking about all this but I find it not only incredibly inspirational, but more relevant to all of us than we may realize. I'm so blown away by this guy. Totally awesome

  13. #30
    Forum Leader: Teen Bodybuilding Young Blood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Centopani View Post
    Brendon Doherty, who many of you know from this forum, was nice enough to spend some time talking me on the phone the other night. You guys should hear HIS story. Talk about full of win. As some of you have probably heard, he was diagnosed with liver cancer earlier this year, had over 75% of his liver removed and after recovering from 2 liver surgeries was told that there was still cancer in the remaining portion of his liver and that chemo would essentially be useless. From what I understand, he was basically sent home to die. Long story short, he explained that he made the decision to change his lifestyle by implementing diet changes etc etc. After 5 months of adhering to his protocol, he went in for a cat scan just a few days ago and the doctors were in disbelief because they were unable to find any trace of cancer anywhere in his body! I hope Brendon doesn't mind me speaking about all this but I find it not only incredibly inspirational, but more relevant to all of us than we may realize. I'm so blown away by this guy. Totally awesome
    Wtf, so he is actually gonna bet this?? From what I understood it was a case of how long he was going to survive, for the want of a better expression. Wow. Hugely inspirational stuff from Brendon, proof that giving up is bullshit!

  14. #31
    IFBB - PRO Evan Centopani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    8,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Blood View Post
    Wtf, so he is actually gonna bet this?? From what I understood it was a case of how long he was going to survive, for the want of a better expression. Wow. Hugely inspirational stuff from Brendon, proof that giving up is bullshit!
    I don't know and don't want to say anything I'm not sure of. But if the prognosis was based solely on the cancer itself, it looks like it may need not apply.

  15. #32
    Forum Leader: Teen Bodybuilding Young Blood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Centopani View Post
    I don't know and don't want to say anything I'm not sure of. But if the prognosis was based solely on the cancer itself, it looks like it may need not apply.
    Well damn... That is incredible

  16. #33
    Mini Forklift Ⓥ
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Centopani View Post
    Brendon Doherty, who many of you know from this forum, was nice enough to spend some time talking me on the phone the other night. You guys should hear HIS story. Talk about full of win. As some of you have probably heard, he was diagnosed with liver cancer earlier this year, had over 75% of his liver removed and after recovering from 2 liver surgeries was told that there was still cancer in the remaining portion of his liver and that chemo would essentially be useless. From what I understand, he was basically sent home to die. Long story short, he explained that he made the decision to change his lifestyle by implementing diet changes etc etc. After 5 months of adhering to his protocol, he went in for a cat scan just a few days ago and the doctors were in disbelief because they were unable to find any trace of cancer anywhere in his body! I hope Brendon doesn't mind me speaking about all this but I find it not only incredibly inspirational, but more relevant to all of us than we may realize. I'm so blown away by this guy. Totally awesome
    Evan, I've been talking about this stuff for years. Never had any impact and people pretty much thought I was talking BS, I even started a thread last year about food and it's links to cancer and I was laughed off the forum by some.

    Nice to know people are finally start to wake up. Diet controls how our body runs and has the ability to influence and change our genetic expression, right down to being able to slow down or halt growth rates of the cells. Yes, we're able to starve cancer cells The one thing that you can control over all other aspects of health is that you are in charge of your genetic expression towards health or disease. This has been proven over and over again in mainstream science as well as long term epidemiological studies on large groups of people all around the world. Most people today have no idea how healthy, energetic and balanced in body and mind we are able to feel simply by implementing good food and lifestyle.

  17. #34
    Mini Forklift Ⓥ
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Langmuir View Post
    Check out the Gerson method too. The documentary is compelling.
    You're not wrong. Probably the film that had one of the biggest impacts on me (and highlighted just how corrupt and messed up the US health care/cancer treatment hospitals are) was this film:



    I would really encourage anybody to watch this, especially people that...

    a) Have a history of cancer or have been exposed to cancer through family or friends
    b) Those interested in natural therapies and the holistic approaches to treating (and ridding) disease
    c) Anybody that believes in chemotherapy, radiation or prescription drugs are the best and/or only way to cure cancer

    Truly enlightening. It's simply amazing just how little modern day doctors and GP's know about disease prevention.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •