Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fixing tendons...

Default Fixing tendons...

My buddy has a shoulder issue we think its his rotator cuff... What do you guys do to fix a injury like that and how long did/does it take to fix it?

im trying to get this guy ready for his second PL meet.... Anything you guys have that will help would be awesome, thx

For me a lot of the time it's tight biceps and lats that fuck up my shoulders. So a lot of band stretching helps. To get the inflammation out contrast showers with the water right on the shoulder helps me. I also do some rotator activation work before I do any pressing. arms in front then at 45 degrees, then lateral raise, then external rotation. I use a micro mini band so I'm not wearing the muscle out before lifting just getting those 4 muscles turned on with some blood flow.

Do you know how to muscle test the rotator cuff? While it's not 100% accurate if he has pain or extreme weakness at one or two of the tests it could shed some light on what it is exactly.
    413/330/512 1255lbs@220 APF raw

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

if it's already a slight tear, nothing.
    other than that, lots of stability stuff like KBs hanging from a bar while benching, bradford presses etc.

I disagree with DM about "warming up" the rotators prior to pressing however. the last thing you want is it to be a bit too warmed up/worn out before trying to press some monster weight. doing direct work for it after pressing would be more beneficial IMO. Regardless, he needs to find out exactly what it is to fix anything.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    if it's already a slight tear, nothing.
    other than that, lots of stability stuff like KBs hanging from a bar while benching, bradford presses etc.

I disagree with DM about "warming up" the rotators prior to pressing however. the last thing you want is it to be a bit too warmed up/worn out before trying to press some monster weight. doing direct work for it after pressing would be more beneficial IMO. Regardless, he needs to find out exactly what it is to fix anything.
    No different than warming up your knees before you squat or hips before you deadlift.

Other than the usual pre/re-hab stuff, you can try Sinew oil. Dimmak Ageless Sinew. It brings blood to the tendons, joints and ligaments.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Other than the usual pre/re-hab stuff, you can try Sinew oil. Dimmak Ageless Sinew. It brings blood to the tendons, joints and ligaments.
    Screaming Toast is great for doing that as well, I know that's one of BrotherIron's favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post

Do you apply directly to the site?

thanks for a the reply's guys..... All good I for ill have him look in too.

Yes.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Diabetic Muscle View Post
    No different than warming up your knees before you squat or hips before you deadlift.
    knees and hips are joints and rotator cuffs are very small delicate muscles.
    I warm up my knees and hips with the bar for 10-15 reps and then do several low reps sets until I hit my heavy weight. I would think if you need to warm up the knees too much prior to squatting you may be too far forward on the toes rather than on the heels.

Quote Originally Posted by tjoe View Post
    knees and hips are joints and rotator cuffs are very small delicate muscles.
    I warm up my knees and hips with the bar for 10-15 reps and then do several low reps sets until I hit my heavy weight. I would think if you need to warm up the knees too much prior to squatting you may be too far forward on the toes rather than on the heels.
    I'd say from my experience most people need more than that to warm up. I would say most of mine comes from prolonged periods of being seated. My hips are tight as are my it bands. If I don't warm up my hip flexors, particularly my adductors bad shit happens. Your shoulder is a joint. You are warming up your acl, pcl, mcl, and VMO while you are doing your warmups for your knees, it really is the same principle. Most of the strength coaches nowadays recommend warming up your rotators prior to any upper body work.

I'm just not understanding why you think they would be fatigued by some very light band work. You use them any time you move your arm so they have to be able to perform under load for a prolonged period of time. Also if there is thickening of the tendons then the increased blood flow could prevent a tear where as just jumping into benching could be enough of a load to rupture it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Forklift Ⓥ View Post
    Screaming Toast is great for doing that as well, I know that's one of BrotherIron's favourites.
    "Screaming toast" Jim??

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Quote Originally Posted by WelshWarrior View Post
    "Screaming toast" Jim??
    This stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Screamin-Toast...ews/B003BW2OWQ

Ah ok, thanks Jim. That's a new one on me. Lol.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

I've seen BrotherIron mention it a few times in his journal and he finds it great. I've never used it (or even seen it for that matter), but BI has been around long enough to know whether something works or not. It's inexpensive so could be something worth having in your gym bag maybe

DM - I know the shoulder is a joint however he referred to the rotator directly indicating there is probably already a problem. IF this is the case there is a fine line between warming up and doing too much.

Can you give a little more specific info? If it is slight and showed improvement from a few days ago. Then pre hab and ointment is fine. Be conservative with your volume of presses. I had partial rotator tear (supraspinal) and bicep tendon where it inserts at front delt. I had surgery and it took roughly a year to get back to old strength levels. Serrapeptase might help.