Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Feel Guilty about dead bodybuilders?

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

Default Do You Feel Guilty about dead bodybuilders?

In light of Matt Duvals death I began to wonder how the Bodybuilders,Industry People and Fans feel about the long list of sick or dead bodybuilders. Sure Not all of the deaths are directly related to bodybuilding,but lets be honest there are way too many not to acknowledge that its a ongoing problem. This thread is not intended to bash the Sport or industry but rather to have an honest conversation about the sport we all love.

Your Thoughts?

If every single hardcore bodybuilder lived to a grand old age and died of natural causes there would be a very different feeling to the whole thing. More like the early adverts for strong healthful physiques.

Part of the freakshow is the tightrope these guys walk, you almost expect some of the less healthy looking mass monsters to burst something vital just flexing.

This is not casting an assumption on the death of MD being directly related.
    Confirm what I already know

I would like to know what the common connection was, or if it is all just an incredible coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    I would like to know what the common connection was, or if it is all just an incredible coincidence.
    The common connection is competative bodybuilding.

Banned

it has nothing to do with bodybuilding..the whole modern society is becoming sicker..bodybuilders just reflecting current health situation

Nobody

I figured this was relevant- this is my behavioral neuroscience professor at Ohio State giving a TEDx Talk on living a long life.
    Had to sit through his lecture today talking about this very thing and how exercising and lifting weights is also life shortening.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by °şİSILİş° View Post
    it has nothing to do with bodybuilding..the whole modern society is becoming sicker..bodybuilders just reflecting current health situation
    A srs Sil post?

I'm printing this out and framing it on my mantle.

it's sad.
    BUT, I agree with Sil on this one. A 19 year old kid from my town died yesterday. Not a BBer. Shit happens and it's very sad when the person is younger and didn't live a full life (whatever your definition of that may be).
    One thing I think a lot of people don't acknowledge is the ACCESS to this information we now have. Internet and social media is just incredible these days. We know about things instantly. Back in the day I think there were just as many "cases" as there are now but you didn't hear about them.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Sad to see The Deflection from the Obvious issue, You dont see this many Baseball players drop dead at such a young age. Why? Too bad Having A serious conversation about health and bodybuilding is off limits around here. I wonder if the young pros pay attention to guys dropping dead? I hope they do.
    Last edited by mayor of bodybuilding; February 22nd, 2013 at 09:19 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nik133 View Post
    A srs Sil post?

I'm printing this out and framing it on my mantle.
    you are dead to me now

MOB I've never jumped on the bandwagon of bashing you. But this thread is just plain ignorant. Do I feel guilty? Why would I? I guess the next time I mix up my protein shake I shall shed a tear for all the dead bodybuilders who took it too far. Most of these guys who die, die from pure stupidity, it doesn't take a genius to realize you shouldn't use ungodly amounts of diuretics, or abuse orals have your kidneys start falling but yet continue to use them. Lets not forget about all the bodybuilders who have died from rec drugs. I don't feel guilty at all. I'm sad that the world I live in is filled with people who can't see the writing on the wall, then when shit goes bad they want to blame the sport or activity that they participate in. Instead of using their fucking head and learning when to let off the gas. All you hear about is the bad apples, the ones who get arrested or die. Not the ones who go years without any problems. It's real simple, keep up with your health...... Get your labs done, keep up with your shit, and don't sell drugs or try to carry them through airport security. You should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    If every single hardcore bodybuilder lived to a grand old age and died of natural causes there would be a very different feeling to the whole thing. More like the early adverts for strong healthful physiques. Part of the freakshow is the tightrope these guys walk, you almost expect some of the less healthy looking mass monsters to burst something vital just flexing.This is not casting an assumption on the death of MD being directly related.
    100% agree.. Furthermore I don't feel guilty at all as people of sound mind (unlike Genova) can asses the risks and soundly make their own minds up.
    "Fix your camera kid, I ain't got time for this shit".. Dexter Jackson 04

Numbers based as a man, if you smoke your dead at like 60 according to most life insurance companies.

Long life as a man is based on the companion you choose.
    Gentlemen, you have two choices: Mamma Mia or Jersey Boys.

I was hoping to have a conversation about how the industry,bbs,fans love to see the guys look huge and ripped,but at what price? Wonder why bodybuilders compete less?

Quote Originally Posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
    I was hoping to have a conversation about how the industry,bbs,fans love to see the guys look huge and ripped,but at what price? Wonder why bodybuilders compete less?
    Over-indulgence and taking everything to the extreme is a characteristic of American culture, which in turn HEAVILY influences bodybuilding culture.

The "general public" always wants bigger/more ripped bodybuilders, more home runs hit and laps swam faster each year—SO competitors take the extreme measures necessary to execute such performances.

I in no way condone "extreme measures," but unless there's a conscious shift in our cultural/societal values NOTHING will change.
    Words convince the Mind; emotions sway the Heart—but only The Spirit transforms the Soul.

^ I don't think the "general public" gives two shits about bodybuilding?
    "Fix your camera kid, I ain't got time for this shit".. Dexter Jackson 04

Quote Originally Posted by AVBG View Post
    ^ I don't think the "general public" gives two shits about bodybuilding?
    Okay: Instead of "general public" I could have said bodybuilding fans, baseball fans and swimming fans.

I'm sure you got the point of my post.
    Words convince the Mind; emotions sway the Heart—but only The Spirit transforms the Soul.

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast