Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

The Anabolic Doc

Thread: AAS and renal disease?!

Default AAS and renal disease?!

My recent renal labs were elevated: BUN 47, Creatinine 1.6, GFR 57 (62 is cut off for African-American but they say I should be in the 70's minimum for my age). I'm on TRT via an legit anti-aging clinic, under the care of a great Nurse Practitioner.

Renal ultrasound shows: slight decrease in size of the kidneys since 2012 with an increase in the echogenicity of the cortices of both kidneys most consistent with mild renal disease.

I also have stage one liver disease with fibrosis, no known etiology (cause). Only ran Dbol low dose 20-30mg/day x 4 weeks, 4 weeks off, Anavar 4 weeks 40-50mg/day with Test E. But I have treated this successfully holistically with Dr Wong's Zymessence system enzymes & other nutrition.

My TRT dose is Test Cyp 200mg/wk. I ran Test Sus at just under a gram per week + EQ 600mg/wk x 8 weeks from Dec 25 - Jan 19. Next phase was to be a change in AAS for competition but ran out of funds. Went back to TRT dose.

Labs were done middle of March. So since the beginning of March 2012 until December 2012, I only was on the TRT 200mg dose. Prior to that I ran 3 10-12 week mild cycles. 1: Test 500mg/wk; 2. Test 750mg/wk + Deca 450mg/wk; 3. Test 750mg/wk + Tren Ace 50-75mg EOD.

My internal med doc wants me to reduce TRT to 150mg/wk for 3 months then get new labs. He is unaware of ramped up cycles.

My questions are do you think this is temporary? Do you think I'll ever be able to use intermittent higher dose AAS cycles again? Are there any anabolic compounds that I should avoid over others? What can I do to protect the kidneys if I am sensistive to AAS? Do you think I am having possible leakage of proteins and should I reduce animal proteins and use more Humapro?

A recent study shows bodybuilders of long term abuse 8-20 years with Focal Segmental Glomeruloscerosis. I'm pissed that mostly TRT dosing with only a handful of moderate cycles has me at this point. http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/anabo...dney-function/
    Humapro - Protein for Humans - alrindustries.com

Damn that sucks.....few questions though. What is your weight. With bun that high it seems you were dehydrated going in to the test? How were your re gear labs? How many days did you lay off training? I'm guessing you never had a renal ultrasound pre gear, huh? Do you have hypertension?
    Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from www.truenutrition.com use discount code BIGOSO

What's up Bigoso? I'll answer as best I can. And I appreciate your help. I am just under 6'1 and approx 245lbs around 11-12% BF. I rarely get in enough fluids while on a busy 12 hr night shift as an RN. And I got my labs right after the third 12 hr shift. But dehydration would not explains a mildly low GFR which is an indicator of chronic kidney disease over time.
    My ALT/AST were slightly elevated but I already have known stage I liver disease with fibrosis. No known cause. Had a biopsy and every test & blood work known to man. Hepatitis & alcohol free. Do not use Tylenol. Do not use any orals most of the year. Had ran Dbol 20-30mg x 4 weeks, off 4 weeks, on Anavar 40-50mg x 4 weeks mid-2011 prior to the liver diagnosis. I use system enzymes by Dr Wong called Zymessence but have been off a while. This stuff is the bomb for liver, fibrosis of all types, anti-viral/anti-bacterial, natural anti-inflammatory etc.
    My estradiol, DHT, Test levels all good. All other labs good this go around!
    I did not train a couple days at least before these labs. I think I trained like Fri-Tue, off Wed & Thu, labs Fri morning.
    Yes, had an ultra sound in 2012 and that was fine. The new ultra sound showed mild changes in less kidney size both sides & the mild renal disease.
    NO HYPERTENSION. Runs in the fam but I am always 110-120/60-70! I am running BP checks AM/PM x 7 days starting after my vaca and averaging. Author L Rea is helping me on this now. Without hypertension he sees this as a fluke. He recommended using less animal protein as well. You now he's big on his Humapro protein. I love that shit but there's virtually no calories per serving as it's an advanced EAA supplement not a complete protein. I also like Vega Sport vegan protein.
    I am juicing specific veggie/fruit that detox the liver & kidneys. Getting back on Zymessence. Using detox teas. Increasing fluid intake. And I will lower my test dose from 500mg/wk to 150mg/wk in 4 weeks for 6 weeks then do a complete system cleanse with no animal protein x 21 days. Then get my labs done again!
    ALR and a physician in the know of anabolics and athletics feel I can still use AAS mild-moderate cycles with no further issues 3-4 cycles per year then stay on TRT the other times. I can also incorporate an ACE-Inhibitor for kidney protection if necessary!
    Thanks big guy!

Sounds like you've been thoroughly worked up! It does seem like extremely bad luck that you got hit so hard from such sensible cycles.
    Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from www.truenutrition.com use discount code BIGOSO

Scary how many guys have getting sick lately

We shall see how the plan goes. 6 weeks 500mg/wk. 6 weeks 150mg/wk (low TRT dosing), reducing animal protein by 50-60% and using Humapro & vegan protein powder, juicing fruits/veggies proven to detox kidneys, increase fluids/water by 20%, eating more asparagus that has positive renal effects, final 21 days of this 12 weeks is a total detox void of all animal protein sources with specific & limited clean carbs, veggies/fruits (mostly raw juiced), Humapro & VegaSport or Isogenix veggie protein, re-check labs.

Nobody

Just FYI, GFR is not completely reliable in instances of acute renal failure or in persons with above average muscle mass like you. Besideswhich, your BUN to Creat ratio is right at 30 which means your BUN is disproportionately increased which is suggestive of a pre-renal issue (i.e. dehydration.) With the amounts of protein I'm assuming you consume, any degree of dehydration is going to have a fairly profound effect on your BUN levels. Not to mention your degree of muscle mass will confound that creatinine test a bit too. I'd wait til I had a couple more days off, make sure I'm adequately hydrated, then go have the test done again. Just my 2 cents. Maybe doc will tell you to chill with the protein consumption for a bit.

The renal US is worrisome though.

I feel you on the night shifts FWIW.

NREMT-P, RN, BSN, CCRN-CMC-CSC
    Last edited by tx911; September 11th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.