Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DORIAN & MENTZER. Was it a pupil-mentor relationship? By Peter McGough

Default DORIAN & MENTZER. Was it a pupil-mentor relationship? By Peter McGough

Barbarian

Great article Mr. McGough. I loved the part were Mike said Sergio Oliva was the best bodybuilder of all time. It seems all of the old time greats agree on this, every single one of them been interviewed have said this when asked.

Great read! Another terrific job Peter!

Dorian has always said that Mentzer wasn't his mentor, just an ispiration
    AV CRUSHING CREW!

Thanks for that Peter! Dorian had so much respect for Mentzer that he allowed Mike to take more credit than he really should have.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Great read PETER! You are a tremendous asset to the sport & I am looking forward to the next installment....

Mike Mentzer and Boyer Coe did a hand full of seminars together sometime after the 1981 Olympia.
    I was fortunate enough at 15 or 16 to be at one of those. Although Coe Guest posed
    Mike's arms still looked huge in a tank top and he wasn't fat at all.
    As far as reaching ones genetic potential, Yates had to be very close at the 1993 Mr. Olympia.
    When I think of a bodybuilder being the absolutely best they could be in every way I think of Yates
    in 1993. He wasn't missing any bodyparts, his arms never looked better and his condition was near perfect
    as these photos will attest. I don't know where Mike thought Dorian could improve after 1993.

BTW - Excellent read as usual. Thanks!

...I heard a rumour that Dorian and Mentzer fell out?

That's probably bollocks like a lot of the Yates rumours, I always like the one when it was 'rumoured' that he'd pull out his own blood, inject it with GH, put it in the fridge overnight then re-inject that the next morning!!!!

Whoever started that one needs a quick slap in the testicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    ...I heard a rumour that Dorian and Mentzer fell out?

That's probably bollocks like a lot of the Yates rumours, I always like the one when it was 'rumoured' that he'd pull out his own blood, inject it with GH, put it in the fridge overnight then re-inject that the next morning!!!!

Whoever started that one needs a quick slap in the testicles.
    I repeated that to Dorian about a year ago and he laughed his ass off.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    I repeated that to Dorian about a year ago and he laughed his ass off.
    Here's another! Back at the tail end of 1997 after his last Olympia win someone in the 'business' told me that Dorian was definitely retiring (Yates announced it at FIBO the next April) as he was wanting to sell his 1998 pre-contest IGF for 40 GRAND!!! Another gem that was no doubt complete tosh...

Forum Leader: No Bull Sports, MD Pets! paradox's Avatar

Mentzer had a huge influence on me. Love everything he wrote. I collected nearly every single article he wrote that was in MD when it was natural muscular development.
    "#KillingShitz #HaterRepz"

Quote Originally Posted by paradox View Post
    Mentzer had a huge influence on me. Love everything he wrote. I collected nearly every single article he wrote that was in MD when it was natural muscular development.
    He did me too....along with Dorian and it still continues the way I train myself and others today
    2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

wonder if they did any crystal (speed) together?

I think Mike stopped amphetamine by 89 or so. I knew him from 91 to 2001 and saw him smoke a lot of cigarettes and had a few drinks at Dinners or New Years Party. But that was it. Except he went on "some Deca" circa 97 when he was trying to get back in top shape. His lower back problem torpedoed that after a while. Never saw him speedy or high, was always fine.

mike mentzer went into rehab for his usage of speed between 1985-1990. He came back to the bodybuilding world full fledge and better then ever. The only other addiction he never kicked was cigarettes but aside from that, its about it. Mike as of recent the last month has had a huge profund influence in me. I'm currently running the 5x5 training protocol and after thats over with ill be going full speed ahead with mike mentzers jeavy duty (HIT) protocol.
    That's what she said -Michael Scott-