Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Waiting Game. Dorianís Contest Prep Strategy. By Peter McGough

Thumbs down The Waiting Game. Dorianís Contest Prep Strategy. By Peter McGough

The more I learn about Yates and his training/ contest prep methods, the more I respect him.
    Schedule your contest prep to be in shape 2 weeks out ! Then, just don't do anything drastic or stupid and you walk on stage looking your best.
    The Yates "Blood and Guts" training video is one of the all time best, no frills, no gimmicks way to train.

Jay uses more volume overall but Cutler's "no gimmicks" apporach to contest bodybuilding seemed a lot like Yates.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Great read and a mindset and discipline to adopt if anyone (including myself) wishes to compete at the highest levels of even the amateur ranks. Preparation is everything. Look what it did for Kai last year? And how he is poised again this year (considering his offseason shape compared to everyone else at the Pittsburgh guest posing).

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

I was never a fan while he was competing, but now, I appreciate just how good he was. With no internet coverage back in the day, it was hard to get to "know" who Dorian was. All we saw was a dude that trained in a dungeon, competed once a year and went back to Europe. But the man was focused and driven. Make you wonder what Dillett or Flex would have looked like with Dorians mindset
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Dorian had an unswerving vision and followed it like it was a line painted on the floor that only he could see.

The difference. And the similarity to Arnold.
    Confirm what I already know

Ready 2 weeks out and he did it all on his own - this is why Dorian is my role model when it comes to prep. He was all about working hard, working smart, and calling all his own shots.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Here is the most germane point. He researched, devised the methods that would work best for him, and then implemented them with an almost imhuman comsistency.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmikecox View Post
    I was never a fan while he was competing, but now, I appreciate just how good he was. With no internet coverage back in the day, it was hard to get to "know" who Dorian was. All we saw was a dude that trained in a dungeon, competed once a year and went back to Europe. But the man was focused and driven. Make you wonder what Dillett or Flex would have looked like with Dorians mindset
    I remember all they ever wrote about Dorian was that he was a mystery. He trained in some basement and never came out to see the light of day lol.

Good stuff Peter.

Just confirms how secure Yates was as an individual, being so strict with conditioning "way" ahead of contest proves that his mind was on a whole other level he knew what needed to be done, and that in the end conditioning on a great physique is key.

I love reading everything about Dorian, so much knowledge , and so inspirational!!!
    @szabi.lovasz

This. Pics never did him justice, good video is a bit better but in the end, if you did not see him live you will never know - this goes for Dorian more then any other top bb iv ever seen.

Pro Bodybuilding Weekly had him on as a guest a few years ago and the interview was great. The part I remember the most is when they asked him why he thought Flex never was fully able to tap into his incredible genetic potential and Dorain answered that Flex didn't posses the "mental application" needed to take full advantage of his gifts. That phrase really stuck with me and whenever i feel lazy or unmotivated i repeat it to myself. That if i want to reach my goals i have to have that correct mental application. I also use it in conversation and it always seems to resonate very well with people. It's a great phrase.

Love dorian stories. And this goes to show the proper way to do things. These guys these days and their silly diets that have junk food and what not drive me nuts
    2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

Dillet did not have the back to hang with the top guys...but from the front..i think he was the freakiest bodybuilder to ever walk the planet. Unfortunately now..he looks like a giant turd.

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

And some wonder why is this guy my favourite...it's easy, he was simply the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo Marinčić View Post
    And some wonder why is this guy my favourite...it's easy, he was simply the best...
    Ronnie was the best followed by Lee Hany.

Dorian just had the best condition.

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-NUTZ View Post
    Ronnie was the best followed by Lee Hany.

Dorian just had the best condition.
    Not talking about contest record (even though Dorian has the best winning percentage too by a mile) talking about his competitive drive and the shit everyone in this thread wrote about...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast