Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Post workout protocol? Supplements/Meals?

  1. #1

    Default Post workout protocol? Supplements/Meals?

    I've been researching a lot lately, trying to find different approaches to pre and post workout to improve my physique. Nobody ever knows enough, there is always another approach that may or may not work better. I personally feel I can do more, and that my physique is at a disadvantage and not getting what it truly needs.
    Right now, when dieting, I'm doing carb cycling. I include my post workout carbs as part of my daily amounts....right or wrong? Secondly, my post workout usually is a protein shake and rice cakes. I've been researching a lot about BCAAs and feel I'm going to include them more in my day. Particularly pre and post workouts. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of people in the fitness community, having a post workout carb powder, with bcaas and protein shake. Then 30-60 mins later having a meal. Is there a better approach, or anyhting wrong with this approach?
    Then that brings me to my next question of carbohydrates. Normally my carbs come from oats, sweet potato, rice cakes and occasionally as of late brown rice. Is there anything "wrong" with red/white potato? I've always been told sweet potato and brown rice and oats are the best sources when you consider glycemic index, digestion rate etc. However, with any diet or nutrition plan, I know what works for someone may not work for me etc. It's trial and error, but when dieting for a show, I don't want to eat a type of food that may set me back.

    Can someone help clarify my concerns. Whether this is the appropriate section, I'm unsure, if not, I apologize. I'm simply looking for some information.
    Thank you to everyone for any assistance.

  2. #2
    Amateur Threat megaguitar01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Posts
    1,634
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    allow me to help (warning this might be a long post) Pre workout is more of a time to get in the stimulants if you take them. NO CARBS carbs make you sleepy and decrease neuro drive (bad workout) usually you have your meal with protein and carbs 3hrs pre workout. then 30min before your workout have a faster digesting protein(whey). Onto the workout nutrition itself during the workout we know the body responds to stresses (exercise is a stress) by releasing hormones. These hormones are very active within the first 30min of resistance training after that they drop off like they were never there and cortisol starts to rise. But we can use the power of fast digesting carbohydrates, bcaas and vitamins to spike insulin levels 30min in (after gh&other growth factors depleted) to cause cortisol to go down and another muscle building hormone to come in (shuttling the nutrients to the cells). the workout should only last another 20-30 min, after that you are over stressing the body.(bad hormones) when you are done 30min after the last drop of your bcaa&carbdrink are gone you can drink a protein shake more nutrients and a still slightly elevated insulin level to help the nutrients to the cells. Then about 1-3hrs after your workout (yes the body is very prone to absorb nutrients in that time) have a solid meal with carbs and protein no fat just because the body is trying to store and use all the nutrients in the blood stream. One final tip just for you, carbs arent really needed except around the workout times. never have carbs in the morning for your first meal just because that can lead to a decreased insulin sensitivity. I.E you become insulin resistant (diabetes is when you are highly insulin resistant) and the insulin sensitivity allows the body to use carbs in a more proper way throughout the rest of the day.
    "STAND PROUD! Whether youre seated, standing or even laying on your back" - Ben Pak

  3. #3
    Barbarian Ace Corona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Norwalk, California
    Posts
    480
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megaguitar01 View Post
    allow me to help (warning this might be a long post) Pre workout is more of a time to get in the stimulants if you take them. NO CARBS carbs make you sleepy and decrease neuro drive (bad workout) usually you have your meal with protein and carbs 3hrs pre workout. then 30min before your workout have a faster digesting protein(whey). Onto the workout nutrition itself during the workout we know the body responds to stresses (exercise is a stress) by releasing hormones. These hormones are very active within the first 30min of resistance training after that they drop off like they were never there and cortisol starts to rise. But we can use the power of fast digesting carbohydrates, bcaas and vitamins to spike insulin levels 30min in (after gh&other growth factors depleted) to cause cortisol to go down and another muscle building hormone to come in (shuttling the nutrients to the cells). the workout should only last another 20-30 min, after that you are over stressing the body.(bad hormones) when you are done 30min after the last drop of your bcaa&carbdrink are gone you can drink a protein shake more nutrients and a still slightly elevated insulin level to help the nutrients to the cells. Then about 1-3hrs after your workout (yes the body is very prone to absorb nutrients in that time) have a solid meal with carbs and protein no fat just because the body is trying to store and use all the nutrients in the blood stream. One final tip just for you, carbs arent really needed except around the workout times. never have carbs in the morning for your first meal just because that can lead to a decreased insulin sensitivity. I.E you become insulin resistant (diabetes is when you are highly insulin resistant) and the insulin sensitivity allows the body to use carbs in a more proper way throughout the rest of the day.
    I've been putting one cup of Quaker old fashioned oats into a bowl with a cup and a half of water and nuking it for two and a half minutes, and eating it with water and no sweetener for a long time. I'm trying to cut body fat and gain muscle, but you said not to eat carbs for the first meal of the day. Should I have eggs for breakfast instead?

  4. #4
    Amateur Threat megaguitar01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Posts
    1,634
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Corona View Post
    I've been putting one cup of Quaker old fashioned oats into a bowl with a cup and a half of water and nuking it for two and a half minutes, and eating it with water and no sweetener for a long time. I'm trying to cut body fat and gain muscle, but you said not to eat carbs for the first meal of the day. Should I have eggs for breakfast instead?
    It's more beneficial to have that protein as the first meal because the insulin sensitivity is heightened. allowing you to use insulin sensitivity better (use carbs better). Fat loss or muscle building
    "STAND PROUD! Whether youre seated, standing or even laying on your back" - Ben Pak

  5. #5
    Spotter
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Great State of Texas
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterRusted84 View Post
    I've been researching a lot lately, trying to find different approaches to pre and post workout to improve my physique. Nobody ever knows enough, there is always another approach that may or may not work better. I personally feel I can do more, and that my physique is at a disadvantage and not getting what it truly needs.
    Right now, when dieting, I'm doing carb cycling. I include my post workout carbs as part of my daily amounts....right or wrong? Secondly, my post workout usually is a protein shake and rice cakes. I've been researching a lot about BCAAs and feel I'm going to include them more in my day. Particularly pre and post workouts. Lately, I've been seeing a lot of people in the fitness community, having a post workout carb powder, with bcaas and protein shake. Then 30-60 mins later having a meal. Is there a better approach, or anyhting wrong with this approach?
    Then that brings me to my next question of carbohydrates. Normally my carbs come from oats, sweet potato, rice cakes and occasionally as of late brown rice. Is there anything "wrong" with red/white potato? I've always been told sweet potato and brown rice and oats are the best sources when you consider glycemic index, digestion rate etc. However, with any diet or nutrition plan, I know what works for someone may not work for me etc. It's trial and error, but when dieting for a show, I don't want to eat a type of food that may set me back.

    Can someone help clarify my concerns. Whether this is the appropriate section, I'm unsure, if not, I apologize. I'm simply looking for some information.
    Thank you to everyone for any assistance.
    This posting may help you answer some of the question on post-exercise supplementation or the window of opportunity.

    http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...=1#post4234117

  6. #6
    Barbarian Beachbody45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    412
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    I read an article on Web-MD that said your muscles only grow when you sleep. If this is true, post workout nutrition is not that important.
    1700 years ago, supermen walked on earth. They called themselves Goths.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •