Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 212 Division added to the 2014 Arnold Sports Festival! No Ms. International!

Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar

WBB is dead. I am willing to bet that within the next two years they will drop it from the Olympia. Its not like Mens Figure is popular with fans but its being pushed down our throat

Forum Leader: No Bull mayor of bodybuilding's Avatar

212 is great news not missing the Arnold Ever again!

I will say that that show will be LOADED!!!!!

This is one of the most delayed actions the Arnold organization has taken. The 212 class is often more exciting than the open and the athletes usually have better conditioning and no distended guts.

Quote Originally Posted by nuthnbutfords View Post
    After they bring out 7 phone books for Jose to stand on.
    Yeah, like the average 212 competitor is six foot tall? What a stupid comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    I have much respect for the dedication the women bodybuilders show and (not that its important) they’re usually friendlier and more easy-going than the men at contest time. But the bottom line is the Ms. International is a pro contest and that equates to having a professional and fiscally disciplined business model in place. The blunt truth is a women’s pro bodybuilding contest staged on its own would be a financial disaster in drawing sponsors and paying fans. It just doesn’t have the fan base to make such a contest viable. The Ms. International is staged in conjunction with the Arnold Classic which has a 4,000 sell out auditorium every year – but I would guess only a few hundred at most are there mainly to see the women. That lack of a paying fan base is why female bodybuilders have disappeared from the magazines. It isn’t a bias against female bodybuilders that is keeping them out of the mags. The publishers know it’s not what their audience want and there are not enough of those who do want it to move the sales needle. Having said all that I can’t help but feel somewhat sad for the competitors at this development.
    Very well said. It's all about supply and demand. If there really is no demand, it makes no sense to supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ness View Post
    This is one of the most delayed actions the Arnold organization has taken. The 212 class is often more exciting than the open and the athletes usually have better conditioning and no distended guts.
    Totally agree.

Should flex Lewis do the show or is it hard doing Arnold 212 and Olympia 212? Does he need to do it?

Personally if Jose does the Arnold and wins and then goes to the Olympia 212 then I know I'll be kinda rooting for jose even though I'm a massive flex fan (being from uk). Just because I'll know Jose has put his body through rigorous dieting and training to get to the Olympia. I know flex will have put his body through hell come September.

Would it be a wise move for flex to do it?
    Nothing is as powerful as all consuming desire - Jesse Marunde

No big shock. Women's bodybuilding has been on life support for quite some time now. They saw that it wasn't improving & decided to pull the plug.
    Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude. ~Ralph Marston

Pro-Primal

I hope the Arnold has Flex, David Henry, Jose and Sami on stage!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Primal View Post
    I hope the Arnold has Flex, David Henry, Jose and Sami on stage!
    That would be awesome line up to see if they all came in on point. Who would u have take it? Personally I'd say flex narrowly snatches it
    Nothing is as powerful as all consuming desire - Jesse Marunde

Does Flex stay the 212 "Mr. Olympia"? or Win potentially both the Arnold and the O? Or does Jose rule the Arnold for a while?

Pro-Primal

Quote Originally Posted by Jamma View Post
    That would be awesome line up to see if they all came in on point. Who would u have take it? Personally I'd say flex narrowly snatches it
    I couldn't even hazard a guess. I like all 4 physiques. Jose's back is really looking good these days....you know as opposed to how crappy it looked before???? Lol. David Henry has the best lines but I'm not sure of his wheels these days as I havent seen much coverage - if they are strong he dominates certain poses. Flex - who doesn't like his physique? And Sami is absolutely awesome too, was close to Jose in New York but was a tad smoother, but who isn't when standing beside Jose!

In sum, all 4 physiques represent bodybuilding very well. All 4 are deserving champions and by all accounts are also great guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Primal View Post
    Peter,
    A good idea for you to write an article about. The birth and death of women's bodybuilding.
    1. Is women's bodybuilding dead or is it simply rebranded (reborn) as women's physique.
    2. Who is responsible for not being able to keep women's bodybuilding from "outgrowing" it's own definitions.
    3. Did judges, sponsors or competitors bring about the death.
    4. What measures are in place to prevent the exact same fate occurring with Women's physique? Is it inevitable?

I would hazard a guess that both men's and women's physique competitors are more in line with current societal likes. The bodybuilders men AND women were simply examples of insane human development.

Should the Ms International continue it's run but with title given to women's physique. Or continue it as bodybuilding because the ASC has every other sport occurring, maybe just a different time or stage.

How do the early Ms International winners compare physically to the top tier Women's Physique competitors?

Can anyone create a photo montage.
    In 1992 I wrote a longish feature detailing the history of women's bodybuilding, how it had started with so much promise but had by 1992 treading a path which continually narrowed its appeal and threatened its existence. In fact, while lauding the achievements of female bodybuilders, the feature predicted it would self-destruct before the end of the century. That the division still exists (albeit weakened by the demise of the Ms. International) shows the resilience of female bodybuilders. I was a writer at FLEX at the time and the story was never published. Perhaps I’ll dig it out to figure what I was smoking in those days.

The thrust of the article was a call to bring in another class for women who trained with weights, but didn’t want to go to the extremes we were seeing. This was three years before the fitness class was launched, which soon became a gymnastic event, which prompted the introduction of the figure class, which in turn evolved to being adjudicated on hardness and dryness, which then left a gap for the birth of the bikini class.

WPD will now replace FBB

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTINIAN View Post
    WPD will now replace FBB
    Yup. I know female bb's work damn hard, but the masculinization aspect of it simply turns off everybody except the schmoes who want to wrestle them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Yup. I know female bb's work damn hard, but the masculinization aspect of it simply turns off everybody except the schmoes who want to wrestle them.
    Why ya gotta label me????

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast