Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast

Thread: Q & A with IFBB Pro, Justin Compton!

YOu say you respond well to higher fequency, do you think working each body part something like once every 5 days could be good?

something along the lines of

Chest/tri/shoulder
    back/bis
    legs
    chest/back
    arms/delts
    legs

I would use that order, and do 2 days one, one day off (sometimes 3 on one off) and just cycle through the workouts like that

Quote Originally Posted by SideShowDoc View Post
    YOu say you respond well to higher fequency, do you think working each body part something like once every 5 days could be good?

something along the lines of

Chest/tri/shoulder
    back/bis
    legs
    chest/back
    arms/delts
    legs

I would use that order, and do 2 days one, one day off (sometimes 3 on one off) and just cycle through the workouts like that
    Yep you could do something like that! The only fault I have to do that is, the chest/back, putting those 2 muscle groups together would be for a very long workout and I'm not sure if I would be able to hit back 100% after just finishing chest. I would split that up, just my thoughts though.

Hey Justin, do you believe in changing the workouts often or keeping it same week in week out like ronnie did compared to Jay who switches it up? and if so do you change rep ranges or exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by SAMbennett23 View Post
    Hey Justin, do you believe in changing the workouts often or keeping it same week in week out like ronnie did compared to Jay who switches it up? and if so do you change rep ranges or exercises?

I make sure to change every workout. I don't change my days(ex: Friday is always legs) but I change the rep range up often but also depends on the exercise and what I'm feeling. I don't ever want to get bored so I make sure to keep variety in all my training

Quote Originally Posted by justincompton View Post
    Yep you could do something like that! The only fault I have to do that is, the chest/back, putting those 2 muscle groups together would be for a very long workout and I'm not sure if I would be able to hit back 100% after just finishing chest. I would split that up, just my thoughts though.
    The first 3 workouts, where chest and back get there on day with bis and or tris respectively, is the harder heavier day. My chest/back day is more in the moderate-higher rep range and I superset the exercises. It feels pretty good too.

whats your pholosophy about nutrition about lean-mass gains for the off season justin?
    how would you set up a diet (macro-micro wise..) and training-cardio for a 190 pound bodybuilder for example who wants to grow lean

Quote Originally Posted by SideShowDoc View Post
    The first 3 workouts, where chest and back get there on day with bis and or tris respectively, is the harder heavier day. My chest/back day is more in the moderate-higher rep range and I superset the exercises. It feels pretty good too.

The supersetting back and forth might work man. I was thinkign donig straight sets, it would take like 2 hours to do! lol

Quote Originally Posted by bill2 View Post
    whats your pholosophy about nutrition about lean-mass gains for the off season justin?
    how would you set up a diet (macro-micro wise..) and training-cardio for a 190 pound bodybuilder for example who wants to grow lean
    My philsophy is use pics and a scale weekly to monitor the progress. Don't use one soley over the other. It allows you to monitor and track your own progress. As for setting up diet and nutrition for someone, it all varies on the individual. The protein I would do 1.5x bodyweight and leave it alone for the most part. Carbs, again, this is where having a good eye comes in to play because that is what I would be manipulating to make sure the person is headed in the correct direction. Carb intake can greatly vary depending on a persons metabolism but I like to keep everyone in really lean shape if possible cardio and training would vary. I would start out slow on everything rather than just diving in on cardio and taking a chance on slowing things down.

My philsophy is use pics and a scale weekly to monitor the progress. Don't use one soley over the other. It allows you to monitor and track your own progress. As for setting up diet and nutrition for someone, it all varies on the individual. The protein I would do 1.5x bodyweight and leave it alone for the most part. Carbs, again, this is where having a good eye comes in to play because that is what I would be manipulating to make sure the person is headed in the correct direction. Carb intake can greatly vary depending on a persons metabolism but I like to keep everyone in really lean shape if possible cardio and training would vary. I would start out slow on everything rather than just diving in on cardio and taking a chance on slowing things down.
    thanks... what kind of nutrition aprroach you have used in the past has given you the best ressults as far as the leanest maxx gains? ( i mean macro-micro wise etc high pro -moderate carbs mod fats? low fat -high carb ?)

thanks... what kind of nutrition aprroach you have used in the past has given you the best ressults as far as the leanest maxx gains? ( i mean macro-micro wise etc high pro -moderate carbs mod fats? low fat -high carb ?)
    I've tried about all diets out there over the past 10 years. For my metabolism and body type, I respond best to moderate protein, really high carb and low fats

So what exactly is your training split?

I think bodyparts should get 2x a week. Most of the greats used that. In fact, with the increase in Gear and the quality of Gear you'd think the pros and national competitors would increase their frequency of training not decrease ie; bodypart 1x week. Your body can handle a lot more with great recuperation so why not work out more. Phil Heath does. Ronnie Coleman did. I think a lot of today's guys are lazy and they get nice puffy big but lack the detail of say Rich Gaspari or Labrada or Platz who all did 2x per week/body part. Today guys walk on stage and look swollen but not like real body builders. Even Jay Cutler, I love him, but he looked better years ago arguably when he was working body parts 2x/week. It's more fun to concentrate on Chest only and put everything into it for that weeks workout. But the research just shows you don't get as big and strong lifting that way. Look at Jay 25 weeks out. Most people aren't even sure he's a bodybuilder. Looks like a wrestler. I remember Gaspari coming to my gym years ago in his prime and he was off season and looked incredible. There was no mistaking he was a bodybuilder.

Quote Originally Posted by themakcompany View Post
    So what exactly is your training split?

I think bodyparts should get 2x a week. Most of the greats used that. In fact, with the increase in Gear and the quality of Gear you'd think the pros and national competitors would increase their frequency of training not decrease ie; bodypart 1x week. Your body can handle a lot more with great recuperation so why not work out more. Phil Heath does. Ronnie Coleman did. I think a lot of today's guys are lazy and they get nice puffy big but lack the detail of say Rich Gaspari or Labrada or Platz who all did 2x per week/body part. Today guys walk on stage and look swollen but not like real body builders. Even Jay Cutler, I love him, but he looked better years ago arguably when he was working body parts 2x/week. It's more fun to concentrate on Chest only and put everything into it for that weeks workout. But the research just shows you don't get as big and strong lifting that way. Look at Jay 25 weeks out. Most people aren't even sure he's a bodybuilder. Looks like a wrestler. I remember Gaspari coming to my gym years ago in his prime and he was off season and looked incredible. There was no mistaking he was a bodybuilder.

Training frequency varies from person to person. For me, I just love to train, I could easily overtrain and do 2 workouts a day 7 days a week lol. However, the body does need rest. Training makes you grow, but you also need rest and recooperation or else your looking for trouble in the long run. I have been training all upper body and calves twice per week for quite some time. However, sometimes I have to back off to just once per week due to tendonitis issues. Keep in mind, tendonitis can be brought on due to overuse of a tendon, so when you train shoulders and chest and triceps twice a week, the elbows are going to take a beating and the body isn't going to handle this forever. I feel legs should remain at once per week, being such a large muscle group, if you destroy legs, most of the time they will remain sore for days after the workout and not ready for another beating in the same week. Just my 2 cents though.

What does your specific split look like?

Quote Originally Posted by themakcompany View Post
    What does your specific split look like?
    Sunday: Back/Biceps/Calves
    Monday: Chest/Shoulders
    Tuesday: Arms
    Wednesday: Legs
    THursday: Back/Cavles
    Friday: Chest/Triceps
    Sat: off

I've tried about all diets out there over the past 10 years. For my metabolism and body type, I respond best to moderate protein, really high carb and low fats
    thanks..i believe you was a skiny kid yes..? i was a fatty child so i have more of endo-meso gens..what kind of macro brake down would you suggest for a 185 pound bodybuilder to gain max fat free mass justin? and training?

thanks..i believe you was a skiny kid yes..? i was a fatty child so i have more of endo-meso gens..what kind of macro brake down would you suggest for a 185 pound bodybuilder to gain max fat free mass justin? and training?

Bill,
    Yes I was a skinny kid before weight training. I would start off with a 40/40/20 macro breakdown. Every person I work with is different so that would be the ideal place to start, and after a week on the diet, you make the necessary changes to the macros depending on how your body responds. Training? I recommend almost the same training to everyone, high volume high intensity heavy weight. I usually get 30-40 sets per workout in working multiple bodyparts

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast