Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: Q & A with IFBB Pro, Justin Compton!

Justin,

You looked BIG! in the Gear booth at the Olympia damn! lol. quality muscle...

When you mention high volume, high intensity, heavy weight. I want to ask about 30-40 sets per workout is that for example 30-40 sets total working sets for say a day you do Back/Bicep/Calves? counting all 30-40 working sets total for all 3 muscles ?

Also I notice you mentioned you stretch post-workout for 15-20 minutes. How do you warm-up in the beginning. Do you just warm-up on a compound lift on back or chest day on your first exercise? I am curious to work around my injuries and stay injury-free. Also if you do anything between sets like strech and what not.

Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by justincompton View Post
    Bill,
    Yes I was a skinny kid before weight training. I would start off with a 40/40/20 macro breakdown. Every person I work with is different so that would be the ideal place to start, and after a week on the diet, you make the necessary changes to the macros depending on how your body responds. Training? I recommend almost the same training to everyone, high volume high intensity heavy weight. I usually get 30-40 sets per workout in working multiple bodyparts

Muscle Head

Just seen your food prep videos on GEAR tv they were really good. I wonder though if you could translate the amounts into grams as i dont understand the amounts with cups and ounces. I am from scotland and everything is measured in grams and you cant get half the quality of food available in america.

Quote Originally Posted by v117 View Post
    Justin,

You looked BIG! in the Gear booth at the Olympia damn! lol. quality muscle...

When you mention high volume, high intensity, heavy weight. I want to ask about 30-40 sets per workout is that for example 30-40 sets total working sets for say a day you do Back/Bicep/Calves? counting all 30-40 working sets total for all 3 muscles ?

Also I notice you mentioned you stretch post-workout for 15-20 minutes. How do you warm-up in the beginning. Do you just warm-up on a compound lift on back or chest day on your first exercise? I am curious to work around my injuries and stay injury-free. Also if you do anything between sets like strech and what not.

Keep up the good work

Thanks man!

The 30-40 sets would be for all 3 muscles combine, not for each individual muscle. Thats usually not including my warms up though.

I do try to stretch and allow for about 15 minutes post workout. I have been focusing on flexibility and ROM alot more lately. I don't do any pre workout stretching, I just start with an exercise and slowly move up in weight usually 2-3 times before going into a working set. I don't really stretch too much between sets either, I like to save it all to the end.

Quote Originally Posted by S30NYL View Post
    Just seen your food prep videos on GEAR tv they were really good. I wonder though if you could translate the amounts into grams as i dont understand the amounts with cups and ounces. I am from scotland and everything is measured in grams and you cant get half the quality of food available in america.
    I have a weird way of measuing things sometimes lol. Example, I'll measure all my meats in ounces but I'll measure my rice in grams. Not sure how I've developed this habit but just how I do it lol. Here is a link that should help you out.

http://www.metric-conversions.org/we...s-to-grams.htm

Thanks Justin,

as you transition in your workout do you do a warm-up set or two for every exercise say on a given day like Back/Bicep/Calves or just the first exercise you'd do 2-3 warm-ups, and perhaps second or third exercise for back you do 1-2 warm-ups no more depending on your body?

Also do you do a compoud movement like deadlifts, squats first? or last?

Good luck!

Thanks man!

The 30-40 sets would be for all 3 muscles combine, not for each individual muscle. Thats usually not including my warms up though.

I do try to stretch and allow for about 15 minutes post workout. I have been focusing on flexibility and ROM alot more lately. I don't do any pre workout stretching, I just start with an exercise and slowly move up in weight usually 2-3 times before going into a working set. I don't really stretch too much between sets either, I like to save it all to the end.

Justin at the O - true freak and still has plenty of growing to do!
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Once i warm up and knock out a few working sets on the first movement, I do not warm up on the following exercises. When I switch muscles I will warm up again...like going from back to biceps I might do 1-2 warms ups but when going from biceps to calves I'll start fresh on calves and do probably 3 warm ups.

I mix things up with the squat and deadlifts. Sometimes beginning and sometimes at the end I like to keep variation.

Thanks Justin,

as you transition in your workout do you do a warm-up set or two for every exercise say on a given day like Back/Bicep/Calves or just the first exercise you'd do 2-3 warm-ups, and perhaps second or third exercise for back you do 1-2 warm-ups no more depending on your body?

Also do you do a compoud movement like deadlifts, squats first? or last?

Good luck!

Muscle Head

Justin how much of the kidney beans would you have with your meals

Quote Originally Posted by S30NYL View Post
    Justin how much of the kidney beans would you have with your meals

1/2 - 1 cup. Never more than a cup though. Keep in mind beans have a very very high fiber content, and combine with all the other fiberous foods I eat, I have to keep an eye on it because too much fiber can be as bad as too little fiber

Nobody

not to sound like a prick or come off as one but who in their right mind would do 20 or even 30 sets in one muscle group? personally myself I'd rather rep out

Quote Originally Posted by Irishblackhair View Post
    not to sound like a prick or come off as one but who in their right mind would do 20 or even 30 sets in one muscle group? personally myself I'd rather rep out

I never said that much for one group. When I answered V177's question, he asked if I did 30-40 sets for 1 muscle group or the 2-3 being worked. I told him 30-40 sets over 3 different muscle groups. But I have been known to do as much as 20 sets for muscle group and it seems to prove itself to work for me. I don't feel there is a right or wrong way to do things, you just have to find out what is going to work best for your body

hello justin ..how do you handle your off season diet? you have a set diet and you adding cals as progress slows or you have a different way?
    and are you doing any cardio and what intensity ?( for offseason and pre-contest)

Quote Originally Posted by bill2 View Post
    hello justin ..how do you handle your off season diet? you have a set diet and you adding cals as progress slows or you have a different way?
    and are you doing any cardio and what intensity ?( for offseason and pre-contest)
    yes Bill your correct, I always adjust the calories depending on my objective at state. So for offseason, I try to slowly increase the calories until I see things moving in the right direction while of course always keeping a close eye on conditioning. and for cardio, at this point, I have actually stopped offseason cardio. Reason being, my calories are at 7k right now and I would rather just cut the cardio is to try to add anything else in lol. I was doing 3-4x a week at 30 minutes @ 135 heart rate. That is usually the same heart rate I use for pre contest as well

I saw your video on GEAR Meal preps I love how you incorporate granola in your meal and that before bed greek yogurt, PB looks delicious I have to try it out.

yes Bill your correct, I always adjust the calories depending on my objective at state. So for offseason, I try to slowly increase the calories until I see things moving in the right direction while of course always keeping a close eye on conditioning. and for cardio, at this point, I have actually stopped offseason cardio. Reason being, my calories are at 7k right now and I would rather just cut the cardio is to try to add anything else in lol. I was doing 3-4x a week at 30 minutes @ 135 heart rate. That is usually the same heart rate I use for pre contest as well

I saw your video on GEAR Meal preps I love how you incorporate granola in your meal and that before bed greek yogurt, PB looks delicious I have to try it out.

and you know what really sucks???? They stopped carrying that kind of granola in all my local stores?? I am so disappointed lol

Lol go for some nice USDA organic cereal. I find the ones I buy really good.

and you know what really sucks???? They stopped carrying that kind of granola in all my local stores?? I am so disappointed lol

thanks justin.how do you decide which macro to incrise being protein carbs or fats?

Page 4 of 69 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast