Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
Results 69 to 85 of 1172

Thread: Q & A with IFBB Pro, Justin Compton!

  1. #69
    IFBB Pro justincompton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    795
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Bill,

    I normally leave my protein alone, it stays around 400-420. I don't really mess with the fats too much. My fats are usually around 100 or less at all times, I have very little direct fat. I have found over my years of being involved in bodybuilding that my body responds better to carbs. So I just adjust my carbs accordingly, usually 50-70g/day at a time

  2. #70
    Spotter ChaseBrowning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New Brunswick, NJ
    Posts
    59
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justincompton View Post
    Bill,

    I normally leave my protein alone, it stays around 400-420. I don't really mess with the fats too much. My fats are usually around 100 or less at all times, I have very little direct fat. I have found over my years of being involved in bodybuilding that my body responds better to carbs. So I just adjust my carbs accordingly, usually 50-70g/day at a time

    I like this approach as well. Usually stick to fats from my foods- no added oils or nuts. I've found it keeps me leaner, and that I can pretty much pound endless amounts of carbs aslong as they are clean. You were looking HUGE at the O man... I was right next to you guys at the Animal booth. Been around industry for a few years and to be honest, some of the Olympia contenders don't have that "oh shit" factor that you do. You are LARGE.

  3. #71
    IFBB Pro justincompton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    795
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseBrowning View Post
    I like this approach as well. Usually stick to fats from my foods- no added oils or nuts. I've found it keeps me leaner, and that I can pretty much pound endless amounts of carbs aslong as they are clean. You were looking HUGE at the O man... I was right next to you guys at the Animal booth. Been around industry for a few years and to be honest, some of the Olympia contenders don't have that "oh shit" factor that you do. You are LARGE.
    Thanks man! You guys were just as slammed as we was the O your lines were crazy too. I had a blast out there though it was a good time but I got sick soon as I got back, oh well I guess thats part of it sometimes. And yeah I prefer to add very few additional fats, I have some early in the day but its like 20-30g worth, the rest of the fat comes from my other foods.

  4. #72
    Barbarian v117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    438
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    How do you calculate your macros Justin. In terms of carbs, fats, and protein. Or do you go by feel? Have you ever done a high fat, low carb, high protein or rather High protein 2.0g per lb of bodyweight or such and medium carbs and low fats?. How did you figure mod. protein works best for you and do you make sure you dont go less than 1.25g per lb of bodyweight or so


    Good luck!

  5. #73
    Barbarian v117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    438
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    And if I can ask how often do you incorporate Whey Protein Isolate in your diet, do you use as a just a a pre/intra/post shake or as a meal-replacement? I know myself I dont count shakes as a meal. If you don't mind giving how you run through your contest-prep diet 2 weeks out incorporating which fish that would be cool with your shakes pre,during,post. Thanks Justin

  6. #74
    IFBB Pro justincompton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    795
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by v117 View Post
    How do you calculate your macros Justin. In terms of carbs, fats, and protein. Or do you go by feel? Have you ever done a high fat, low carb, high protein or rather High protein 2.0g per lb of bodyweight or such and medium carbs and low fats?. How did you figure mod. protein works best for you and do you make sure you dont go less than 1.25g per lb of bodyweight or so


    Good luck!
    Being as I am constantly monitoring my diet and staying point and knowing what I am eating, I dont' have a calculation. I dont' do the "fit your macros" diet, I am highly against that. So every day, I pretty much know what I am eating and when I am eating it. I like to leave my protein about the same...around 1.5g and I just adjust the carbs. Years of playing with different protocols, I find that I don't respond well to higher fat diet. I have used a high fat moderate carb approach in the past, and I found it flattened me during prep and didn't keep me as full and popping during offseason as I would like either

  7. #75
    IFBB Pro justincompton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    795
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by v117 View Post
    And if I can ask how often do you incorporate Whey Protein Isolate in your diet, do you use as a just a a pre/intra/post shake or as a meal-replacement? I know myself I dont count shakes as a meal. If you don't mind giving how you run through your contest-prep diet 2 weeks out incorporating which fish that would be cool with your shakes pre,during,post. Thanks Justin
    I do use whey isolate almost year round. I don't count it as a "meal" but I count it in my diet as far as calories and macros go. I will very very seldomly have shakes as meal replacements, the only time I do this is if I am very ill and my apetite is off its norm. I use them post workout all offseason, and most of prep. As for my final 2 weeks of prep, I don't do shakes at that point I stick to solid foods usually the final month. For fish, I use tilapia or cod mostly. I like the taste of both equally, but I don't do the other fishes due to price. At the quanity I eat, I couldn't afford to eat ahi ahi tuna steaks or orange roughly I would end up broke so I just got to budget myself lol

  8. #76

    Default

    Justin, I think I heard you say one time that you count protein from carb sources into your total correct?

  9. #77
    IFBB Pro justincompton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    795
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cac3071 View Post
    Justin, I think I heard you say one time that you count protein from carb sources into your total correct?

    Yes I do! I look at everything because keep in mind, I'm eating just under 1000 carbs(thats not a typo lol), so I'm going to be getting a good deal of protein from the carb sources.

  10. #78

    Default

    do you think is a good idea to add 5 gr BCAA with every meal to keep anabolism up? ( beverly international advocates this approach for years...)

  11. #79
    IFBB Pro justincompton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    795
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2 View Post
    do you think is a good idea to add 5 gr BCAA with every meal to keep anabolism up? ( beverly international advocates this approach for years...)
    I don't really feel its necesssary to do that. BCAA is good to have at certain times like pre cardio and pre/intra workout, however putting them in at every meal seems like overkill and you would be wasting alot of it.

  12. #80

    Default

    Hey man

    I just cant get intra workout carbs to digest well for me, even cyclic dextrins. They sit fine during training, but everytime I use them my digestion of later meals in the day is all screwed up. Its not a matter of carb tolerance, or anything like that, so what would you do or suggest in that situation? Would you make the pre workout meal and post workout meal higher in carbs to make up for the carbs that would have been in the shake, putting most of them post?

  13. #81
    IFBB Pro justincompton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    795
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SideShowDoc View Post
    Hey man

    I just cant get intra workout carbs to digest well for me, even cyclic dextrins. They sit fine during training, but everytime I use them my digestion of later meals in the day is all screwed up. Its not a matter of carb tolerance, or anything like that, so what would you do or suggest in that situation? Would you make the pre workout meal and post workout meal higher in carbs to make up for the carbs that would have been in the shake, putting most of them post?
    My suggestion here would be exactly what you said. I would give all the possible intra workout drinks a shot before giving up, maybe even try gatorade if all else fails. But if nothing works, then I would push the pre workout and post workout carbs up a bit with a higher glycemic carb low fiber carb as well

  14. #82

    Default

    justin what kind of difference you noticed when you firstly started incorporating pre-intra-post shakes?

  15. #83
    IFBB Pro justincompton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    795
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2 View Post
    justin what kind of difference you noticed when you firstly started incorporating pre-intra-post shakes?

    The biggest difference I noticed is I don't quite get fatigued as bad during my workouts. I also seem to get alittle more of a pump during training as well

  16. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justincompton View Post
    The biggest difference I noticed is I don't quite get fatigued as bad during my workouts. I also seem to get alittle more of a pump during training as well
    As far as mass gains? What do you thing?they made a difference?

  17. #85
    IFBB Pro justincompton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    795
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bill2 View Post
    As far as mass gains? What do you thing?they made a difference?

    Yes I do feel they have. The added calories have helped me grow but the timing of the carbs is also crucial IMO to get them in around the workout

Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •