Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Q & A with IFBB Pro, Justin Compton!

Quote Originally Posted by SideShowDoc View Post
    Is it just kinda the nature of the beast to feel a bit bloated by the end of the day in the offseason??

I suppose that depends on who your asking. For me, yeah slightly with my metabolism being really good the amount of food I eat can bloat me. Every day can vary, I find if I travel that day its bad but if i stay active then its not too noticable really

I think being active improves digestion in general. I am in medical school and last year all I did was sit when studying (which was all the time lol). This year I made a standing treadmill desk I can work at and it has made a huge difference.

Could you give an example of a typical shoulder and back workout. THose are definitely some stand out body parts on you my man.

What exercises would you recommend to really get that portion of the lats right under your armpit in the front double bi and font lat spread heres a pic http://www.flexonline.com/sites/flex...?itok=0mg7VRmG

and shoulder wise, what have you done for your shoulders. DO you focus more on the side and rear delts? Do you have any advice to really feel the side delts and activate them?

Could you give an example of a typical shoulder and back workout. THose are definitely some stand out body parts on you my man.

What exercises would you recommend to really get that portion of the lats right under your armpit in the front double bi and font lat spread heres a pic http://www.flexonline.com/sites/flex...?itok=0mg7VRmG

and shoulder wise, what have you done for your shoulders. DO you focus more on the side and rear delts? Do you have any advice to really feel the side delts and activate them?

Shoulders...I build creative workouts for others but honestly for myself I don't struggle with development there. Its been a very gifted bodypart for me. Unfortunately, they can sometimes make my chest and back look small so I have been working very hard to bring those up. To help work the shoulders better my best advise is to slow down the reps and use the right muscle to lift the weight. When I was younger I remember doing side laterals with 65-70lb dumbells, my delts are much better now and I rarely go past a 50. Typically, I will start with rear then side then front. Usually 3-5 sets per group. Now back...thats a different story. I haven't always had a good back. I have had to work myself to death for it. I try to alternate every workout, one I will start with pull movements then rows and the next workout I will start with rows and go to pull movements. Usually 15-18 sets total. As for the area you are referring to on the lats, IMO i feel the best pump in that area when doing a machine pullover. My gym has one of the old school machines like what dorian used to have. I also think pulldowns have helped it but its all about form which took me years to learn. I will try to go over some of this stuff in my up and coming videos with MD and GEAR in the near future

Awesome. Actually watched the back workout before I hit back today. Used to have the same pull over machine at a gym but they took it out. Such an awesome machine.

Awesome. Actually watched the back workout before I hit back today. Used to have the same pull over machine at a gym but they took it out. Such an awesome machine.

It is a great machine but not many gyms has them anymore!

Hey Justin how was your Xmas? If okay could you post one of your high volume back/biceps/calves workout. And has the diet changed so far in terms of increasing fats, reducing carbs. or adding in cardio. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by v117 View Post
    Hey Justin how was your Xmas? If okay could you post one of your high volume back/biceps/calves workout. And has the diet changed so far in terms of increasing fats, reducing carbs. or adding in cardio. Thanks!
    Christmas was great as usual. I don't do crazy dinners and go binge out like alot. I had one small plate and called it a day then went to train legs lol.

As for my back/bi workout it depends on which gym I am, because I make them up as I go and write them down but an example of a recent one was this:
    Lat Pull 4 sets
    V Bar Pull 4 sets
    Low Rows 3 sets
    Tbar Rows 3 sets
    Barbell Rows 3 sets
    preacher curl machine 3 sets
    hammer curls 3 sets
    concentration curl 3 sets

for calves, I am actually going to give nick trigilis method he outlined in his thread a try. Training them every day with the basics, standing seated and donkey. I vary the sets and angles each workout. I am 4 days in right now and its startring to catch me because they are constantly sore.

And diet thus far, I've added alittle bit of fats but nothing drastic. I am just kind of smooth sailing for the next 4-5 weeks until its time to start bringing it down for show prep

Sounds good thanks man. Since you get bloated easily, do you find greek-yogurt or probiotics help you with digestion? Or perhaps take dig. enzymes per meal or so? or even fiber. I also want to ask do you get bad joints around the shoulder-tendons or knees and how you get away with this.

I think being active improves digestion in general. I am in medical school and last year all I did was sit when studying (which was all the time lol). This year I made a standing treadmill desk I can work at and it has made a huge difference.
    you gotta post a pic of that desk, lol.!

Quote Originally Posted by ritch View Post
    you gotta post a pic of that desk, lol.!
    only one side but its the same on the other

Works out to the perfect height when standing on the treadmill (in the left corner). Got a 32 inch monitor hooked up to my laptop lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by v117 View Post
    Sounds good thanks man. Since you get bloated easily, do you find greek-yogurt or probiotics help you with digestion? Or perhaps take dig. enzymes per meal or so? or even fiber. I also want to ask do you get bad joints around the shoulder-tendons or knees and how you get away with this.
    i do not use any probiotics but i use digestive enzymes couple times a day. For joints, If i'm feelign achy in a certain area I try to pinpoint what caused it stay away from that movement for awhile

Justin I saw how many carbs you said you use in your pre and intra shake, but I was wondering if you use anything else besides bcaas with them like whey or casein hydrolysates? I've used peptopro but it's very expensive and I was just wondering your take on it compared to bcaas?

Quote Originally Posted by BJDDawson View Post
    Justin I saw how many carbs you said you use in your pre and intra shake, but I was wondering if you use anything else besides bcaas with them like whey or casein hydrolysates? I've used peptopro but it's very expensive and I was just wondering your take on it compared to bcaas?
    I never use a protein in my intra workout shakes, only post workout. I feel that intra workout what is needed the most is the carbs, so your body has a constant glycogen supply and steady energy throughout the workout. I'm not saying protein would effect that, but if you had 60-70g in your pre workout meal, I can't really see it necessary because I feel alot of guys overeat on their protein

Hey justin in the offseason after an entire day of eating lots of food/carbs/water do you tend to get a little bit bloated or full, and do you notice if you smooth out a bit as the day goes on? That seems to happen to me but it all goes away by the time I wake next morning.

Hey justin in the offseason after an entire day of eating lots of food/carbs/water do you tend to get a little bit bloated or full, and do you notice if you smooth out a bit as the day goes on? That seems to happen to me but it all goes away by the time I wake next morning.
    I think that is pretty normal with most people man. My appetite dies down around meal 4 or 5 I just have to put the last little bit down. I am usually about 4-5lbs heavier by night with the water and food in me. I wake up 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom and I am always down about 5lbs in fluid the next morning and I'm tighter

Quote Originally Posted by justincompton View Post
    I think that is pretty normal with most people man. My appetite dies down around meal 4 or 5 I just have to put the last little bit down. I am usually about 4-5lbs heavier by night with the water and food in me. I wake up 2-3 times a night to go to the bathroom and I am always down about 5lbs in fluid the next morning and I'm tighter
    this actually happens in contest prep as well, always looking my best soon as I wake up in the morning

Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast