Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peter McGough on MENTZER vs. ARNIE

Default Peter McGough on MENTZER vs. ARNIE

Good story, I remember this when it happened (reading about it months later), but this time with all the details from Peter. Personally I think Arnold may have done it to deflect the discussion from whether he could enter the contest at all. As I recall it, it was a total surprise that he competed, and the deadline for signing up for competing had elapsed several weeks before.

Anyway, he got on stage, looked 85 % of what he did at his best, and took the title. Up for discussion for sure, but not as questionable as one of Franco's wins in my view.

3 2 1 for Bob to argue why Arnold was the clear winner

^^No need, he was!

Pro-Primal

When I view the pictures floating around Arnold stands out as the clear winner. Mentzer wasn't even a factor but rode the controversy for his full money's worth. Without researching the general public would believe Mentzer was destined to win and Arnold robbed him - nope.

Does anyone think Arnold wouldn't have won instead of Frank and Franco in the in between years!

Barbarian

Good article. From Mentzer's point of view, it seemed as if Arnold got a little afraid when confronted by Mike. But who knows what really went down, it'd be nice to hear the story from a third person's point of view, maybe Zane or Boyer Coe.

Arnold sat down
    Dream big and work hard!

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

I can't scroll the article down on the phone

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Fuller View Post
    3 2 1 for Bob to argue why Arnold was the clear winner

No argument needed...he WAS the clear winner, while not 100% for HIM...he was still better than the rest

Of course, Im sure you had the most ripped guy in the show winning, despite whether or not he was missing parts, looked like a 2X4, etc...

^ agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    No argument needed...he WAS the clear winner, while not 100% for HIM...he was still better than the rest

Of course, Im sure you had the most ripped guy in the show winning, despite whether or not he was missing parts, looked like a 2X4, etc...
    If it would have been anyone else entering past the date, would they have let them compete?? Probably not...

I think Zane was his only true competition going in but Zane wasn't at 100% either. I believe he was coming back from injury at the time

I love it, because it really seems like a mind game of Arnold's. He was a shit starter and great for entertainment.

Arnold clearly won that show. No doubt. Arnold could stand 6 ft back and punch mentzers short little monkey face off. Arnold won and would of whipped his ass if it came to that. End of story. Frank Zane should never have beat anyone. He's a twig. Natty pros look better than him.
    You must do what others don't to achieve what others won't.

Just went back and looked at pics. Arnold clearly won. Was he the most ripped? No. Was he a Greek fucking god? Yes.
    You must do what others don't to achieve what others won't.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post

Plus, Arnold is a legend.

Ask 75% of sports fans to name a bodybuilder, and Arnold will be the answer.

Legendary status isnt handed out as frequent as IFBB pro cards these days

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast