Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How Dorian's Reign...Nearly Ended in Spain - by Peter McGough

Default How Dorian's Reign...Nearly Ended in Spain - by Peter McGough

Well-written account of one of bodybuilding's great anecdotes!

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

Gotta love Dorian...amazing drive and dedication...

A lot of us just cant see Peters things, I use IPad and it will not load. This has been said many times. Fix it or keep putting out good stuff that get a lot less views.

I remember reading this in Flex and I luckily have very good recall if the subject
    is something I am very interested in.
    One thing you wrote in Flex is that Levrone actually won a round (which I believe
    was the posing round). This may have been the only time Dorian ever lost a round
    after his 1st Olympia win.

I also remember you writing that they were both around 249 pounds but Levrone held
    more muscle than Yates did for his frame at that weight; although not as conditioned as Yates.

Although this isn't the Spain Grand Prix, I like this shaplier look here in England on the tour
    than what he brought to the Olympia that year. He is just all around more conditioned than
    anyone else with good shape and proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeKindofMonster View Post
    I remember reading this in Flex and I luckily have very good recall if the subject
    is something I am very interested in.
    One thing you wrote in Flex is that Levrone actually won a round (which I believe
    was the posing round). This may have been the only time Dorian ever lost a round
    after his 1st Olympia win.

I also remember you writing that they were both around 249 pounds but Levrone held
    more muscle than Yates did for his frame at that weight; although not as conditioned as Yates.

Although this isn't the Spain Grand Prix, I like this shaplier look here in England on the tour
    than what he brought to the Olympia that year. He is just all around more conditioned than
    anyone else with good shape and proportion.

Hi SomeKindof Monster, the occasion you are referring to is the German Grand Prix held 24 hours after the 1994 Madrid contest. In those days four rounds were scored. In Germany Yates beat Kevin by four points in the symmetry round (round 1) and by only one point in the muscularity round (round 2). Kevin won the posing round (round 3) by three points -- the only round Yates ever lost as Mr. Olympia. Going into the posedown (round 4) Dorian led overall by just two points. Dorian knew he was on the ropes and during the posedown unleashed the most animated action we'd ever seen him do in that round. Subsequently he got straight firsts in that last round and victory was his. I can go into more detail about the German contest (backstage interplay, what Yates did between Rounds 3 and 4, Levrone sensing blood etc.) if anyone wishes.

Yes do it peter

I see what you did with the title!

nice

Dorian came even closer I believe at the 1996 British Grand Prix to Nasser!

Nasser got better after the Olympia and Dorian came in dry as hell - but a lot smaller than he was at that year's Olympia in Atlanta...

I thought even Dillett and Coleman might have taken him too that day in Nottingham...Both looked amazing.
    MD Muscle News Weekly Ep. 29- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfFHUMbUHI8

Iron Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Dorian came even closer I believe at the 1996 British Grand Prix to Nasser!

Nasser got better after the Olympia and Dorian came in dry as hell - but a lot smaller than he was at that year's Olympia in Atlanta...

I thought even Dillett and Coleman might have taken him too that day in Nottingham...Both looked amazing.
    I remember seeing the pics in FLEX from the 96 O with Ronnie, Dorian and someone else (Nasser) from the back. Ronnie's back was very comparable to Dorian's, plus he had better arms, legs and chest. Ronnie got 6th (later 5th after Nasser failed the drug test).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McGough View Post
    Hi SomeKindof Monster, the occasion you are referring to is the German Grand Prix held 24 hours after the 1994 Madrid contest. In those days four rounds were scored. In Germany Yates beat Kevin by four points in the symmetry round (round 1) and by only one point in the muscularity round (round 2). Kevin won the posing round (round 3) by three points -- the only round Yates ever lost as Mr. Olympia. Going into the posedown (round 4) Dorian led overall by just two points. Dorian knew he was on the ropes and during the posedown unleashed the most animated action we'd ever seen him do in that round. Subsequently he got straight firsts in that last round and victory was his. I can go into more detail about the German contest (backstage interplay, what Yates did between Rounds 3 and 4, Levrone sensing blood etc.) if anyone wishes.
    I would have replied sooner but our Internet has been out.
    Thanks for responding to my post Peter and that just goes to show you something
    you wrote almost 20 years ago can stick in someones head (because of the good writing
    and the subject matter).
    Any further details would be awesome.
    As much as I enjoy your writing, I think myself and probably many others would
    love to hear some of these stories in a video format with that British accent.
    I really enjoyed the stuff you and Bob did maybe a couple of years ago,
    but even a 3-7 minute video with you talking about what you write about would be
    really cool with some pictures or short video clips thrown in with your commentary
    about these experiences. That probably would be a lot of work but I think there
    are tons of BB fans that like to hear you talk about your opinions, experiences, ect.
    I'm not suggesting do all videos but every once in a while all us bodybuilding fans can
    sit around the campfire and listen to the experiences of one the most respected experts.

^^^^ what SKOM said..