Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rich Gaspari: At Age 50, Still Mr. Training Intensity - by Peter McGough

Default Rich Gaspari: At Age 50, Still Mr. Training Intensity - by Peter McGough

gaspari is fine cool mfker.

Good and well-written story. Keep them coming since such stories will otherwise not be told and then at some point forgotten.

I'm still digesting the Bruce Randall fact. 415 to 223! Peter, do you recall how long he dieted?

Article says Rich placed 2nd 85-87 but then says he finished 3rd in 85.

Quote Originally Posted by m87r View Post
    Article says Rich placed 2nd 85-87 but then says he finished 3rd in 85.
    Good catch m87r. My bad. Rich was 2nd 1986-'88. 3rd in 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by highplainsdrifter View Post
    I'm still digesting the Bruce Randall fact. 415 to 223! Peter, do you recall how long he dieted?
    From a bodyweight of 185 pounds in early 1953 a 21 year old Bruce Randall began strength training for several years and following a diet as follows (his words), “Breakfasts consisting of two quarts of milk, a loaf and a half of bread and 28 fried eggs were not uncommon. I ate four meals a day and never ate between meals unless it was milk. I usually ate breakfast at 6:30, lunch at 11:30, supper at 4:30 and a meal at 9:30 just before bed. Milk was taken in great quantities with an average of 8 to 10 quarts per day. An average of 12 to 18 eggs per day also comprised my diet. I once drank 19 quarts of milk in one day in addition to regular meals, and once had 171 eggs at breakfast during the course of a week.”

By July 1955 he tipped the scales at 401 pounds and then – fueled by marathon training sessions, running and Spartan diet – in 32 weeks by March 26, 1956 he had reduced his weight to 183 pounds: a loss of 218 pounds. He won the 1959 Mr. Universe at a bodyweight of 223 pounds

The following YOU TUBE shows a 1959 episode of I’VE GOT A SECRET featuring Bruce.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeCVyEQ_Pag

Go to 2.15 to see Bruce.

Please note: some sources say Bruce hit a bodyweight high of 415 others 401.

Alright Peter, here's a tough question: Who trained the hardest out of these 4? Gaspari, Mentzer, Platz, or Yates.

Nice article Peter. Saw Gaspari once in seminar, Was in his hey day of runner up spots at a gym in Kircaldy Scotland. He did a great, detailed seminar and was much more massive than I expected. he was a bodybuilder that you could actually learn from. That was in a period that seminars of the top pros was actually quite common. I remember in a short period of time, Gaspari, Fox, Platz and Paris all held seminars in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by UsmcGreg View Post
    Alright Peter, here's a tough question: Who trained the hardest out of these 4? Gaspari, Mentzer, Platz, or Yates.
    Wow! That is a tough question but you sure picked maybe the top four in intensity -- I can't separate them. I never saw Mentzer train live but his HD approach demanded intensity. Rich had a ferocity about him maybe the others didn’t. Yates had a mental intensity that maybe was unequalled in that everything he did in the gym was totally pre-planned and then carried out in text book style to the limits of his physical capability: anything less was not an option.

The sessions I saw Tom Platz undertake were much more improvisational where he would just go on and on (sometimes with descending sets, reps, reps, reps) way past how far you think he could go before just collapsing at the near exhaustion point. I once trained with Platz it was -- unforgettable.

Rich still trains like an animal, and even more so when he is training with younger bb's. He will NEVER let them show him up!
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Freak of Nature Lorenzo Marinčić's Avatar

wow bruce had an AWESOME physique minus the loose skin and the legs...I mean look at that front double...

Nice article!

Rich was unique, when he hit that 1985 Olympia in Sweden I bet everyone was like - WTF????

Always loved watching him in the Battle for Gold pre-Olympia video when he was prepping for the '88 Olympia...Awesome chest and condition was nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Nice article!

Rich was unique, when he hit that 1985 Olympia in Sweden I bet everyone was like - WTF????

Always loved watching him in the Battle for Gold pre-Olympia video when he was prepping for the '88 Olympia...Awesome chest and condition was nuts.
    The Olympia in Sweden was actually in 1987. The 1985 Olympia was held in Belgium. When Rich competed in the '85 Night of the Champions, he shocked everyone by making such drastic improvements so quickly. He competed
    at about 192 for the Mr. Universe in November of '84 and by May of '85, he was 212 shredded with ripped glutes. He beat the pre-contest favorite Mike Christian and took a close second to Albert Beckles. Rich was only 21-22 years
    old at the time. He was the youngest guy to win the IFBB Mr. Universe at 21 years old, beating Lou Ferrigno's record of 22 years old (when he won the 1973 Mr. Universe).

Quote Originally Posted by Natural_O View Post
    The Olympia in Sweden was actually in 1987. The 1985 Olympia was held in Belgium. When Rich competed in the '85 Night of the Champions, he shocked everyone by making such drastic improvements so quickly. He competed
    at about 192 for the Mr. Universe in November of '84 and by May of '85, he was 212 shredded with ripped glutes. He beat the pre-contest favorite Mike Christian and took a close second to Albert Beckles. Rich was only 21-22 years
    old at the time. He was the youngest guy to win the IFBB Mr. Universe at 21 years old, beating Lou Ferrigno's record of 22 years old (when he won the 1973 Mr. Universe).
    Oops, my mistake...

Rich still looks amazing.

we all know gaspari is a huge advocate of IIFYM, reverse dieting, and drug abuse in place of hard work...He also gets metabolic syndrome consistently

That was sarcasm
    2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast