Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Deal With Permanent Hand Numbness?

Default Anyone Deal With Permanent Hand Numbness?

The injury section gets no views so figured Id post this here.

For about 3 years now my hands have had a permanent numbness. Also knocking shit over etc. I got nerve scans done. Basically the docs said it can come from 3 places. Neck impingement, carpal tunnel, ulnar nerve.

It showed as mild nerve irritation and not damage (supposively). The wrist injections did nothing so the doc said surgery would most likely not work.

My training style has always been excessively brutal. High volume and high intensity together.

Interested to see if any other lifters have dealt with this for years as well. I get the usual numb arms while sleeping and sometimes pain in sleep. The main issue is permanent numbness. Am wondering if eventually will lose complete feeling in hands. In the last 3 years hasnt gotten that much more numb. Maybe a little worse. More wrist and hand pain though for sure. Its become a major nuissance

Id be interested to read anyones experiences with this. Training through it and how its progressed mainly

Havent really lost grip strength. But sometimes if I grip too long the wrist doesnt feel right.

KILL THAT SHIT!!

If it was only the ulnar nerve only the pinky and ring finger would be affected.

It sounds like thoracic outlet syndrome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoracic_outlet_syndrome

Quote from the Wikipedia page.

"There are also several static forms, caused by abnormalities, enlargement, or spasm of the various muscles surrounding the arteries, veins, and/or brachial plexus, a fixation of a first rib, or a cervical rib."

Could be a muscular compression of the brachial plexus.

Read this and try the 3 tests for TOS

http://www.orthobullets.com/sports/3...utlet-syndrome

I have numbness in my left hand from skin graft removal of tissue at that wrist that was relocated to my throat after throat cancer surgery. It's a weird sensation lifting with it sending strange messages to my brain wherein I can't tell if my hand is asleep, on fire or what. I simply keep training and try to program myself to not pay attention to it. I family friend whose physical therapy practice specializes in pain management insists he can bring proper sensation to the area with treatment. He told me this over Thanksgiving. When business picks up for me during the regular season I will give him a shot.

Appreciate the feedback Dom and MPJ

I will check that shit out. Ive read about that before as well.

I do have 4 ruptured disks. Two are thoracic (T7-t9), one is in neck, another in lower back. Maybe more now, who the fuck knows.

Lookin thick MPJ. That shit fires me up to see you KILLIN SHIT despite. I have gotten very little feedback on those training with numbness and I like to see people pushing limits despite. Because I dont know when my nerves will just fucking shut off or some shit. But maybe I can continue to ignore and will be managable

Just got Inzer Z wrist wraps today. Hands and wrists felt like shit beforehand. Wanted to test the new wraps. Sick support. Real rigid wrists.

Cant complain. Im glad I was able to press some decent weight today despite this shit

Would like to hear more stories about this type of thing for motivation. If anyone has anything to share

KILLLLLLLLL THAT SHIT

I had ulnar nerve numbness, and it was due to long periods of gaming. By resting my forearm on the computer chair and then straight into the desk while I was playing Skyrim for hours and hours, it caused it to start tingling, and eventually start numbing. I quit sitting with my arm on the chair for such long duration and after a few months it went away.

Also, not sure if it was the same time, but occasionally on the last all out rep of a bench press or something, i'd feel like the bar grinded some nerves in my hands and I'd feel tingling down my hands. Hasn't happened in a while, either.

I have several herniated disc and 3 pinched nerves in my neck. Plus a crushed ulna nerve in my left hand. At this moment I am suffering. I got these injuries and a bunch of others in a bad accident last May. Nerve blocker done help. Nerve pain is so much worse than any other pain. I've had 11 rotator cuff surgeries and jan 8 I'm having a huge knee procedure to implant my stems cells into 2 holes in my articular cartilage. Narcotics don't do squat. The other thing we can do us bring the inflammation down. Ice ice ice. It does help my neck. Not my hand though. In my necks case ice or a NSAID will bring the the swelling of the disc that's are either bulging or herniated.

Mass Monster

Up the dose...

UP THAT SHIT

Behemoth

my chiro said chest tightness can cause numbness in hands/fingers/arms which is something I get constantly, he explained a nerve and blood supply that can become impinged from having a super tight chest, and its located in area between upper corners of pecs/delt insertions ...

adjustments and daily chest stretches help

I get that intensely into my rt pec, my neuro surgeon says it's from C5C6. I have a herniation there. My rt tricep is non function almost.

Yes badly...

I would stop training in such a manner that has cause injuries in the past. I'm guessing the injury already cost you the ability to train legs with bb squats.
    Stagnation kills

You've been doing "the stranger" too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blackwell View Post
    I had ulnar nerve numbness, and it was due to long periods of gaming. By resting my forearm on the computer chair and then straight into the desk while I was playing Skyrim for hours and hours, it caused it to start tingling, and eventually start numbing. I quit sitting with my arm on the chair for such long duration and after a few months it went away.

Also, not sure if it was the same time, but occasionally on the last all out rep of a bench press or something, i'd feel like the bar grinded some nerves in my hands and I'd feel tingling down my hands. Hasn't happened in a while, either.

That may be a possibility since I often lay on my elbows. It may also be a mix of several impingements. My inner elbows usually have some tenderness as well. So Ill try to do that less

Appreciate the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    I have several herniated disc and 3 pinched nerves in my neck. Plus a crushed ulna nerve in my left hand. At this moment I am suffering. I got these injuries and a bunch of others in a bad accident last May. Nerve blocker done help. Nerve pain is so much worse than any other pain. I've had 11 rotator cuff surgeries and jan 8 I'm having a huge knee procedure to implant my stems cells into 2 holes in my articular cartilage. Narcotics don't do squat. The other thing we can do us bring the inflammation down. Ice ice ice. It does help my neck. Not my hand though. In my necks case ice or a NSAID will bring the the swelling of the disc that's are either bulging or herniated.

Ice has never done much for me. Icing the wrists and elbows definately hasnt improved the numbness. NSAIDs at 1000 mg naproxen for a week has helped my shoulder joints. The numbness only goes back to a base level of numbness if I take a week off or back off. It never goes away though. I tried a 6 month mostly off period and when it didnt subside and I couldnt get straight answers from the docs I just resumed.

KEEP KILLIN SHIT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Meathead. View Post
    my chiro said chest tightness can cause numbness in hands/fingers/arms which is something I get constantly, he explained a nerve and blood supply that can become impinged from having a super tight chest, and its located in area between upper corners of pecs/delt insertions ...

adjustments and daily chest stretches help
    Chest has been tight as fuck lately. Where its hard to even lower a weightless barbell to my chest. Its like a spring type of effect. The chest is strong as a result because there is a very strong stretch reflex, like a spring, but its also prevented me from going full range as I did in the past. For years now, whenever I sneeze I get shooting pain down from the back of my shoulders ,into elbows and hands.

I get chiropractic adjustments. Do some light stretching between sets.

KILLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by MojoMike36 View Post
    I would stop training in such a manner that has cause injuries in the past. I'm guessing the injury already cost you the ability to train legs with bb squats.
    The ruptured discs have definately. Squats never felt right on my structure anyway. So it was never a staple of my routine. I deadlifted for a year and a half before I took things too far and fucked up my back.

Training has changed alot over the years to keep shit rollin.

Beast I hear you I'm waiting to have my herniation get cortisone injections. Like you ice does nothing for My crushed ulna nerve. My neck is messed u from C2 to t1

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast