Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Don't Squat Due to Medical Reasons

13 9.70%
  • I Don't Squat Because They Are Not Effective

7 5.22%
  • I Squat

73 54.48%
  • If I Could Only Do One Leg Movement For The Rest Of My Life It Would Be Squats

41 30.60%
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Who Squats?

Quote Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    I've yet to see a guy with great legs who hasn't squatted
    Sorry man I usually have nothing against you but in this thread youīre BSing a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BDEGRD View Post
    very very rarely is there a legitimate reason not to squat. showing guys with freakish leg genetics who don't squat doesn't really prove a lot. Ronnie does very little for arms but look at em. if I can squat with my horrible knees anyone can. Platz used to say about guys who wouldn't squat, that they had "mommy syndrome". guys remembering how theyre mother would say dont run you'll hurt your self, dont jump you'll hurt yourself etc.... he was basically saying face your fears and let that all go, squatting is uncomfortable and at times can be scary having a lot of weight loaded on your back, BUT GROW A FUCKING PAIR!
    That's it squats are brutally hard and uncomfortable. There is nothing as taxing as squats.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Sorry man I usually have nothing against you but in this thread youīre BSing a lot.
    I'll repeat, I haven't seen a guy with great legs who doesn't squat. I've been around more pros and top amateurs than I can count and one thing they all have in common is that they have paid their dues at the squat rack.
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

Be careful, hack squats are far more dangerous for your knees than free weight squats
    Don't plan on doing hacks ever again either. Honestly my leg workouts are gonna be pretty weak for a long time a) bc I'm just at the 5 month mark in my recovery/rehab and b) I think it will take a long time to get that confidence back that my quad isn't going to snap.
    A standard is set when performance is taken to a new level.

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Nobody said to just do squats, but heavy squats will build a very impressive base for your entire structure. I just can't see why a person who is wanting to look "powerful" wouldn't do them. Hack squats are not even close to being the same...nothing is. Not even front squats.
    What do you mean by that? I always thought front squats were tougher and really felt they hit the quads better than reg.
    A standard is set when performance is taken to a new level.

I'll repeat, I haven't seen a guy with great legs who doesn't squat. I've been around more pros and top amateurs than I can count and one thing they all have in common is that they have paid their dues at the squat rack.
    That's fine. That's your experience. But that doesn't mean it's an absolute. I've already posted up pics of two of my buds with great legs - and they don't squat.

Now am I saying you should NOT squat to build big legs? Nope. I'm just saying it's not necessary - because I've seen it done without. If you're still claiming it's NEEDED, then you simply lack experience.

you can tell, the legs look more straight, no sweep !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    Attachment 309980
    Attachment 309981\
    Known Dan for years… and he was never a squatter. Also went for the leg press. And those be some impressive wheels.

Now I train in Korea, and Jong Sup has some decent wheels, and I don't EVER see him squatting.
    Attachment 309982
    So there's two guys I know personally that grew big legs from the leg press - not squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    That's fine. That's your experience. But that doesn't mean it's an absolute. I've already posted up pics of two of my buds with great legs - and they don't squat.

Now am I saying you should NOT squat to build big legs? Nope. I'm just saying it's not necessary - because I've seen it done without. If you're still claiming it's NEEDED, then you simply lack experience.
    I didn't say it was an absolute however you cannot deny that almost every bodybuilder worth his salt has done squats. I did say that you are limiting your potential if you don't do them and I stand by that.
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

I've had better sweep in recent times from not squatting. My legs have very little natural muscle there, close foot squats don't go so well. Close foot leg press, hack squat, turning legs in a big while doing leg extensions has helped. Just getting started after so long as well.... I was very hard headed on the "you must squat thing"
    So I really understand you squat fella's...

If I squat, it's a front squat anyway, much better for bodybuilders. But I'll flat out admit part of no longer doing it is lazyness, but it's effort saved to focus on maybe doing an extra leg movement or something which in the end is simply better for me. Too much other than legs come into play and don't see the benefit of the extra weight. The movement is great, so simulated by a machine that is 10 times more comfortable and hits purely quads gives me more bang for my drive.

However the best wheels have been built with squats or most of them,even you none squatters should be able to admit/see this.

Quote Originally Posted by frankdaddy View Post
    Also how does their lower backs/glutes compare in muscle? I bet those would be much better if they done proper form on squats.
    Dennis wolf does squats, his glutes are not good.

Freak of Nature

Quote Originally Posted by ben1 View Post
    you can tell, the legs look more straight, no sweep !!
    or they just genetically don't have it lol everyone has diff muscle shape, not everyone is going to have sweep

That's it squats are brutally hard and uncomfortable. There is nothing as taxing as squats.

Dorian or Lewis? Their legs are damn impressive to me. And donīt start with "for the first 5-6years he did squat" BS, those 5years got him some local contest winnings, he won 6mr.O titles without them.Most newbies train the way everyone else does, and since everyone will tell you squat is the king, bench is the best chest exercise and other "facts", it takes quite some time to stray away from them. Funny how no one argues with Dorian when he says flat bench isnīt the best exercise for him, he was doing them for quite some time afterall, so maybe he build his chest by them?No, I thought so. On the other hand, there is plenty of guys who do squat yet their legs suck. Johhnie Jackson is perfect example. Squats are not for everyone, just like flat bench or deadlift. Sure they have SOME benefits, but there are exercises with better risk:benefit ratio for them. So if you donīt get GREAT results by doing them, find something better.

Dorian or Lewis? Their legs are damn impressive to me. And donīt start with "for the first 5-6years he did squat" BS, those 5years got him some local contest winnings, he won 6mr.O titles without them.Most newbies train the way everyone else does, and since everyone will tell you squat is the king, bench is the best chest exercise and other "facts", it takes quite some time to stray away from them. Funny how no one argues with Dorian when he says flat bench isnīt the best exercise for him, he was doing them for quite some time afterall, so maybe he build his chest by them?No, I thought so. On the other hand, there is plenty of guys who do squat yet their legs suck. Johhnie Jackson is perfect example. Squats are not for everyone, just like flat bench or deadlift. Sure they have SOME benefits, but there are exercises with better risk:benefit ratio for them. So if you donīt get GREAT results by doing them, find something better.
    Dorian built his foundation on squats, point proven. The first 5 years is when guys put on the majority of their size.

And Flex Lewis, he is such a genetic freak with legs that he stopped training them for almost a year in 2008:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jame..._interview.htm

Clearly your legs - calves, hams and quads - have always been one of your stronger muscle groupings. Is it now a case of training your upper body to ensure it catches up?

• Yes, I have been told so many times that my legs are so strong, so I decided I would no longer train them.
    Last edited by naturalguy; December 31st, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

Dorian built his foundation on squats, point proven. The first 5 years is when guys put on the majority of their size.
    Lol, he did weight what on stage after 5years, 200pounds? Thatīs a lot of mass compared to 260 lol. Even as a heavyweight his legs were nothing special(god forbid I say small)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nckGOJKi4YI
    You need to stop for your own good Squats are essential only to powerlifters/strongmen.

Tom Platz does lol

(clip is from an older movie, with Ken Waller and others from the 1980's. french language tho)

Lol, he did weight what on stage after 5years, 200pounds? Thatīs a lot of mass compared to 260 lol. Even as a heavyweight his legs were nothing special(god forbid I say small)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nckGOJKi4YI
    You need to stop for your own good Squats are essential only to powerlifters/strongmen.
    That video clearly states:

Dorian competing in his first national show after only three years of training.

He said he squatted his first 5-6 years of training, it may be you who needs to stop my friend
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

That video clearly states:

Dorian competing in his first national show after only three years of training.

He said he squatted his first 5-6 years of training, it may be you who needs to stop my friend
    Yes, he said he was working out since teen years in other interviews...he is 24 in that video, you do the math. If you wanna go down the quotation way, I will play along: "Some people's joints articulate in a manner that allows them to benefit greatly from squats; others may not benefit at all. If you're not too tall and have short limbs, it may be the best exercise for you, but if you're tall with long legs, it might be both ineffective and dangerous.I was stubbornly faithful to squats for years until I finally realized they were not well-suited for my body structure. After I switched to more muscle-intensive movements, my gains in leg size were astounding."--Dorian Yates

Dennis wolf does squats, his glutes are not good.
    a good decade of 4 plate plus squats and deadlifts never got my ass developed. It's just not in the cards for some of us...

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast