Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: Squats?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Don't Squat Due to Medical Reasons

    13 9.70%
  • I Don't Squat Because They Are Not Effective

    7 5.22%
  • I Squat

    73 54.48%
  • If I Could Only Do One Leg Movement For The Rest Of My Life It Would Be Squats

    41 30.60%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 18 to 34 of 283

Thread: Who Squats?

  1. #18
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    19,752
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    I'm on the side of "not squatting due to medical reasons AND it not being as effective for me"

    I enjoy squatting… squatted tons in my 20s. BUt after a long time of squatting, I realized that my legs didn't get any bigger. I actually had people go up to the gym owner and complain "There's no way that guy is going to squat that weight with those legs". lol

    Nowadays though, I've gained a little bit of size on my legs, and that was from extension/curl pre-exhaustion, and hacks or press.

    I'll throw squats into the mix on occasion, just to check mobility, but they're not the core of my leg day.

    To add to all of this, I have a degenerative disk in my back that doesn't always respond well to pressure. Last week I was squatting.. and it felt great (link). The next day, and all over the holidays, my back was done like Christmas dinner.
    I have had a similar experience as this guy. Good post.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  2. #19
    Freak of Nature
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14,281
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    I squat but I am weak

  3. #20
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    19,752
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    I'm on the side of "not squatting due to medical reasons AND it not being as effective for me"

    I enjoy squatting… squatted tons in my 20s. BUt after a long time of squatting, I realized that my legs didn't get any bigger. I actually had people go up to the gym owner and complain "There's no way that guy is going to squat that weight with those legs". lol

    Nowadays though, I've gained a little bit of size on my legs, and that was from extension/curl pre-exhaustion, and hacks or press.

    I'll throw squats into the mix on occasion, just to check mobility, but they're not the core of my leg day.

    To add to all of this, I have a degenerative disk in my back that doesn't always respond well to pressure. Last week I was squatting.. and it felt great (link). The next day, and all over the holidays, my back was done like Christmas dinner.
    Hey Jug , try doing some 1 leg step ups onto a bench holding a DB. Gives an unreal leg pump, feels like squats but BETTER and NO back pain!
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  4. #21
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    19,752
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
    QUADS
    •Warm knees up with leg extensions
    •Barbell or squat machine squats. These alternate every week. Start off with 225 and work up to 405 for 8-10 reps the. Finish with 315.
    •Leg Presses--start out with 6 on each side and work my way up to 12/side and then down to 8/side for last set.
    •Hack Squat--start of with 3/side and finish with 6/side
    •Hacks and Leg presses alternate each week with the order they go

    HAMSTRINGS
    •Prone leg curls--4 sets
    •Seated leg curls--4 sets
    •Stiff leg dead lifts or good mornings for 4 sets
    I often do THIS leg routine
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  5. #22
    Barbarian Juggertha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Seoul, South Korea
    Posts
    569
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Hey Jug , try doing some 1 leg step ups onto a bench holding a DB. Gives an unreal leg pump, feels like squats but BETTER and NO back pain!
    So, full step up? As if I'm walking up giant stairs? Or just press,and then down?

    I'm game for any movement that helps me connect with my quads.

  6. #23
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    19,752
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    So, full step up? As if I'm walking up giant stairs? Or just press,and then down?

    I'm game for any movement that helps me connect with my quads.
    1. Place a bench by the squat rack or similar location where you can hold on to a secure place.
    2. Place right leg foot on bench , hold DB in right hand , grab stand with left hand.
    3. Do continuos reps with that leg , up and down until failure, then swtich legs
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  7. #24
    Mass Monster frankdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    4,293

    Default

    I squat 2-4x per week every week, for the last 3-4 years I suppose. I love squats, and I also deadlift 1-3x per week year round. The rest of my workout is benching and a couple of accessories.

    During prep in 2012
    1234955_10151527705626981_1826764828_n.jpg525952_10151060303321981_1038052507_n.jpg


    Last month at my powerlifting meet
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

  8. #25
    Mass Monster frankdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    4,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    1. Place a bench by the squat rack or similar location where you can hold on to a secure place.
    2. Place right leg foot on bench , hold DB in right hand , grab stand with left hand.
    3. Do continuos reps with that leg , up and down until failure, then swtich legs
    Or just use a smith machine for balance lol.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

  9. #26
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    19,752
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    FRank D, your body fat like your squat depth is too low. Add a few inches to your belly and switch to 2" deep leg presses with 1000 lbs and you might impress the ladies.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  10. #27
    Pit Leader bolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    My Real Name is... Jason Voorhees
    Posts
    19,614
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdaddy View Post
    I squat 2-4x per week every week, for the last 3-4 years I suppose. I love squats, and I also deadlift 1-3x per week year round. The rest of my workout is benching and a couple of accessories.

    During prep in 2012
    1234955_10151527705626981_1826764828_n.jpg525952_10151060303321981_1038052507_n.jpg


    Last month at my powerlifting meet
    That is a hefty raw squat. What weight class?
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

    Training Log

  11. #28
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    19,752
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdaddy View Post
    Or just use a smith machine for balance lol.
    Not in MY gym bro !
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  12. #29
    Mass Monster frankdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    4,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    FRank D, your body fat like your squat depth is too low. Add a few inches to your belly and switch to 2" deep leg presses with 1000 lbs and you might impress the ladies.
    LOL I wish I stayed lean year round like that, probably wouldnt get bigger or stronger. Haha. I ain't impresing noone for a while, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    That is a hefty raw squat. What weight class?
    Thanks man, 220 class.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

  13. #30
    Pit Leader bolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    My Real Name is... Jason Voorhees
    Posts
    19,614
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frankdaddy View Post
    LOL I wish I stayed lean year round like that, probably wouldnt get bigger or stronger. Haha. I ain't impresing noone for a while, lol.



    Thanks man, 220 class.
    Damn, what was your actual weight at the time of the lift? I always pegged you for a fuckin liar! Guess not.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

    Training Log

  14. #31
    Mass Monster UriahMcGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Truenutrition.com
    Posts
    6,020
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Damn, what was your actual weight at the time of the lift? I always pegged you for a fuckin liar! Guess not.
    lol that was funny....had he not posted several videos I would have too
    Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from the manufacturer instead of a marketing company I get my supplements at www.truenutrition.com

  15. #32
    Pit Leader bolsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    My Real Name is... Jason Voorhees
    Posts
    19,614
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Now I have to show respect for a fuckin guy who calls himself "frankdaddy"?!?! What the fuck is going on...
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

    Training Log

  16. #33
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    19,752
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Damn, what was your actual weight at the time of the lift? I always pegged you for a fuckin liar! Guess not.
    Posting legit lifts = he won't fit in well with this or any other internet foum
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  17. #34
    Forum Judge Howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mirage hotel ice machine 7
    Posts
    19,752
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Now I have to show respect for a fuckin guy who calls himself "frankdaddy"?!?! What the fuck is going on...
    well it's a lot better then "BABYdaddy"
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •