Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Don't Squat Due to Medical Reasons

13 9.70%
  • I Don't Squat Because They Are Not Effective

7 5.22%
  • I Squat

73 54.48%
  • If I Could Only Do One Leg Movement For The Rest Of My Life It Would Be Squats

41 30.60%
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Squats?

I squat, but I put them towards the end of the list for my quad development. I think leg extensions are the best. My quads have to be pumped for squats to really hit home.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Behemoth

Home gym so restricted.

Squats - 4 sets. Change periodically between heavy and volume.
    Sissy squats.
    Leg extension on bench attachment (not great but best i can do)
    Leg curls.
    stiff leg deads.
    improvised hyperextensions.
    seated and standing calf raises.

Behemoth

^^^^^oh, and I forgot barbell hack squat.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeForemanRules View Post
    0 sets calves, looks about right.
    My calves do suck.....I usually train them on other days with chest or arms
    Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from www.truenutrition.com use discount code BIGOSO

I started a few months ago putting squats in the 2nd half of my leg routine. I use a little less weight but the feel more effective than done first as I did for years.

My legs grow pretty easily but they are not strong. Due to my long torso. I hurt my back recently so kind of restructured my workouts. More single leg work and leg press. Once I heal up chances are I will go back to what I did when I first started training. Squats for a pump and reps and not trying to be something I'm not. A strongman. I just don't have the body structure. I think squats and deads they are great for strength and explosiveness. But I don't always know if they are good for bodybuilding at least for myself.

well your ass will do the talk, go to the Beach and you will see
    Quote Originally Posted by ma51f View Post
    I dont train legs...don't see the point unless you compete..

Walk into a club and no chick will be thinking i wonder how big his legs are...arms, chest and abs = perfection

train your calves every time you go to the gym and do it first
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoso View Post
    My calves do suck.....I usually train them on other days with chest or arms

Spotter

Typical Leg Day

Leg Extensions
    Squats
    SLDL
    Hamstring Curls
    Calves
    BW Lunges to failure

All the people who talked about how ineffective squats are seem to have vanished.
    I was hoping to see some comparrisons from the non-squaters.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Forum Leader: Training Journals tjoe's Avatar

I will say there is a difference in squat opinion depending on your chosen path as well.
    Bolsen and I compete in PL so it's not really an option. I do think if you are a BBer however you can get away from them here and there. Not sure I would ever completely take them out though. It seems even if a "top guy" doesn't do them right now, chances are good that he built a BIG foundation with them in his earlier years. I would also tend to think that if you have not done them in quite some time, just the change of adding them back to the routine would elicit some positive change.
    4-6-13 100% RAW Powerlifting/ALL RAW Powerlifting
    Open 242 (weighed 235) 534.6/385.8/644.8 T = 1565.2

Squats train so much more than quads. Tohear some people talk about how bad their quads were from squating is laughable. They train quads hams, all the hip muscles, gluts, spinal erectors, mid back, upper back, calves annd abs. Fuckin ignorant bastards.

Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Squats train so much more than quads. Tohear some people talk about how bad their quads were from squating is laughable. They train quads hams, all the hip muscles, gluts, spinal erectors, mid back, upper back, calves annd abs. Fuckin ignorant bastards.
    To see a pro bodybuilder say in videos they are focusing on knee flexion for more quad focus. Why in the hell would they do that? To pinpoint an athlete who frequently sais this is Jay Cutler, I am a big fan BTW. The guy constantly focuses on quads only, when the dude is all quad's. Nothing we could teach the guy no doubt, but IMO he has completely the wrong outlook on squats, when his glutes and hamstrings suck compared to many of the great Mr Olympians & especially his glutes. No Stiff leg pulls or glute raises will take the place of deep, heavier focused squatting will do. I think many bodybuilders with over powering quads could easily get better lower backs, glutes, and hamstrings by focusing on deep, heavier oriented squats, and maybe with a deep pause focusing on sitting on the glute muscles.

A great athlete once said Bodybuilders could learn a lot from some powerlifting focus, and powerlifters could learn a ton from bodybuilding training. It is showing a lot in the raw powerlifting world the last 5 years with this, but bodybuilders are just now grabbing ahold of this concept. Not sure why it did not take off after Ronnie and Dorian dominated with this concept.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Quote Originally Posted by frankdaddy View Post
    To see a pro bodybuilder say in videos they are focusing on knee flexion for more quad focus. Why in the hell would they do that? To pinpoint an athlete who frequently sais this is Jay Cutler, I am a big fan BTW. The guy constantly focuses on quads only, when the dude is all quad's. Nothing we could teach the guy no doubt, but IMO he has completely the wrong outlook on squats, when his glutes and hamstrings suck compared to many of the great Mr Olympians & especially his glutes. No Stiff leg pulls or glute raises will take the place of deep, heavier focused squatting will do. I think many bodybuilders with over powering quads could easily get better lower backs, glutes, and hamstrings by focusing on deep, heavier oriented squats, and maybe with a deep pause focusing on sitting on the glute muscles.

A great athlete once said Bodybuilders could learn a lot from some powerlifting focus, and powerlifters could learn a ton from bodybuilding training. It is showing a lot in the raw powerlifting world the last 5 years with this, but bodybuilders are just now grabbing ahold of this concept. Not sure why it did not take off after Ronnie and Dorian dominated with this concept.
    I utilize a lot of bodybuilding concepts in my training, and I've seen a few bodybuilders from the gym using some of our techniques as well.

Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by frankdaddy View Post

Coan's powerlifting training looked more like a bodybuilding routine. And a lot of bodybuilders are lazy today its much easier to do hammer strength

Quote Originally Posted by BDEGRD View Post
    Coan's powerlifting training looked more like a bodybuilding routine. And a lot of bodybuilders are lazy today its much easier to do hammer strength
    I think that is the problem, laziness. I do think a lot of bodybuilders that are learning this trate are taking the powerlifting too far in place of their bodybuilding routine. Of course both play a big role in hypertrophy, but low reps heavy weight can only take you so far at that.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Most "bodybuilders" are lazy and do very easy movements. I say "most" not all. I'm speaking about the vast majority and nobody here can deny that.

Training Log

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast