Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Don't Squat Due to Medical Reasons

13 9.70%
  • I Don't Squat Because They Are Not Effective

7 5.22%
  • I Squat

73 54.48%
  • If I Could Only Do One Leg Movement For The Rest Of My Life It Would Be Squats

41 30.60%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Squats?

Quote Originally Posted by ma51f View Post
    I dont train legs...don't see the point unless you compete..

Walk into a club and no chick will be thinking i wonder how big his legs are...arms, chest and abs = perfection
    I had this mentality for a decade. Then I started competing. It's sad so much to catch up on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Daibhí O'Buadain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Thursday? Let me guess after leg day, through the mirror and under a light?
    Don't forget tanned, shaved and oiled up as well.
    Having tanned, shaved and oiled up 'pretty quads' are more critical to a metro-sexual narcissist or a latent homosexual than being able to squat with good form with more than 600lbs.

The pre-picture tan lotion is a MUST!
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

All the people who talked about how ineffective squats are seem to have vanished.
    I was hoping to see some comparrisons from the non-squaters.
    Honestly, I would have chosen both options if the poll allowed it. As I stated earlier in the thread, my squat numbers climbed in my 20s, but my legs did not. Now, after 10 years off and an injury, I've basically taken squats out of the mix, and have seen my legs improve. They're still not big by any means, but they're better than they were.

So for me, I do not find squats very effective for my goals.

Your mother squats on my face

Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    Honestly, I would have chosen both options if the poll allowed it. As I stated earlier in the thread, my squat numbers climbed in my 20s, but my legs did not. Now, after 10 years off and an injury, I've basically taken squats out of the mix, and have seen my legs improve. They're still not big by any means, but they're better than they were.

So for me, I do not find squats very effective for my goals.
    Fair enough, I do a lot of different typesof pressing movements. Some people cut tgem out just because and use Yates as a reason...it is bullshit.

Training Log

Fair enough, I do a lot of different typesof pressing movements. Some people cut tgem out just because and use Yates as a reason...it is bullshit.
    I do agree that the yates thing is bullshit. If you watch the mark dugdale dungeon video with dorian he has him do squats. A lot of my training is modeled off Dorian style and some DC and I squat ~75% of my leg work outs, and the other times I smith squat. However I do think that a small percentage of people simply cant squat effectively for bodybuilding purposes, but most that use that excuse are just lazy as you said.

Or they use their ego and try to go to heavy, and not low enough/and or focus on the stimulation of the muscle. Lifting heavy weight you are going to contract a lot of muscles, but repetitiveness is what is going to build that physique and even strength up on many programs.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

All the people who talked about how ineffective squats are seem to have vanished.
    I was hoping to see some comparrisons from the non-squaters.
    pics are old but still
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from the manufacturer instead of a marketing company I get my supplements at www.truenutrition.com

Front squats ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by UriahMcGee View Post
    pics are old but still
    Awesome shape. Just stating that properly executed squats can build up some of the best backs and glutes. Sounds kind of dumb to an exercise such as squats for these two areas, but it is true. Which would not be a bad move for someone like Dennis Wolf with a lackluster glutes, and lower back ( not lats, but lower back). I can show you some not so genetically and genetically gifted powerlifters/bodybuilders who have extrememly thick backs from utilizing squats properly and glutes over most bodybuilders, but yet everything else on them sucks as far as development. Not from necessarily going "heavy" or maxing, but the way they utilize these exercises slightly different than most bodybuilders approach is.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Quote Originally Posted by frankdaddy View Post
    Awesome shape. Just stating that properly executed squats can build up some of the best backs and glutes. Sounds kind of dumb to an exercise such as squats for these two areas, but it is true. Which would not be a bad move for someone like Dennis Wolf with a lackluster glutes, and lower back ( not lats, but lower back). I can show you some not so genetically and genetically gifted powerlifters/bodybuilders who have extrememly thick backs from utilizing squats properly and glutes over most bodybuilders, but yet everything else on them sucks as far as development. Not from necessarily going "heavy" or maxing, but the way they utilize these exercises slightly different than most bodybuilders approach is.
    my form on squats is terrible due to being inflexible...I can't even reach back to grab the bar for more than 2 seconds because my rear delts cramp...my hips are very stiff too...so I stick to hack squats lol
    Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from the manufacturer instead of a marketing company I get my supplements at www.truenutrition.com

my form on squats is terrible due to being inflexible...I can't even reach back to grab the bar for more than 2 seconds because my rear delts cramp...my hips are very stiff too...so I stick to hack squats lol
    maybe it is just my gym, but the guys who spend the most time doing squats are the guys with the least impressive legs...all they do is heavy squats in the 2-6 rep range for like 2 hours, taking what seems 15 minutes breaks in between sets, and then they pose and flex in the mirror falling in love with themselves...every monday
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

You could use a cambered barbell...

or a Safety Squat Bar

If your gym has them of course. If they don't go to a new gym...or just see if the management will purchase one or the other.

Training Log

Dang dude, you need to stretch before you tear something. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    maybe it is just my gym, but the guys who spend the most time doing squats are the guys with the least impressive legs...all they do is heavy squats in the 2-6 rep range for like 2 hours, taking what seems 15 minutes breaks in between sets, and then they pose and flex in the mirror falling in love with themselves...every monday
    I bet if they dieted down some of those dudes would have the best musculature in their glutes and backs compared to most guys even though they never directly work either.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    Nobody said to just do squats, but heavy squats will build a very impressive base for your entire structure. I just can't see why a person who is wanting to look "powerful" wouldn't do them. Hack squats are not even close to being the same...nothing is. Not even front squats.

Training Log

Safety Squat Bar

If your gym has them of course. If they don't go to a new gym...or just see if the management will purchase one or the other.

Safety bar is awesome, but soo much harder than regular squats. Kinda like front squats without the front felt pain also.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast