Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Don't Squat Due to Medical Reasons

13 9.70%
  • I Don't Squat Because They Are Not Effective

7 5.22%
  • I Squat

73 54.48%
  • If I Could Only Do One Leg Movement For The Rest Of My Life It Would Be Squats

41 30.60%
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Squats?

For the guys who are not squatting because of poor flexability or hip issues I suggest you learn who Kelly Starrett is. Seriously, in the strength and fitness world he is revered for this shit...

I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by frankdaddy View Post
    Safety bar is awesome, but soo much harder than regular squats. Kinda like front squats without the front felt pain also.
    We use the SSB often to train ourselves to stay upright as the bar puuls your neck down and causes your upper back to round. In essence building your upper back to handle more weight.
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Flexibility issues are a big deal with lower body much more than anything else IMO. Their are only a handful of good leg exercises and all of them are pretty dangerous pushing it, squats, deadlifts, lunges, sldl, etc while their are a ton for upper body. It usually takes flexible body to squat low or lunge with a good depth or stay upright during all squatting movements. A lot of people have back problems from weak stomach, bad knees from weak hip flexors/glutes, etc.. Not necessarily weak, but tight areas.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    Fair enough, I do a lot of different typesof pressing movements. Some people cut tgem out just because and use Yates as a reason...it is bullshit.

I think using any superstar as a reason is bullshit.

Arnold did these, so I will too - and look like him! Or Levrone never did these, so I don't need to.

Truth is, we all have to find what matches our bodies and our goals.

My issue… with this issue is - I have NEVER went up to someone and said - Hey, you should STOP squatting. Squats are the worst!!!
    Yet it seems like a lot of people, especially on forums, trot out the opposite - You NEED to squat! If you don't squat, you're a puss!! Squats are THE exercise!!

I know what it's like to have 7 a side. I know that feeling of how the bar bows with each step back. And yeah, I sort of miss it. But again, My legs didn't get big because of it. My ass grew! My hips got strong. But I still walked around the gym with the nickname "Luckylegs" (lucky they didn't break off and go up my ass).

So if I had a message to all those people promoting squatting please realize - not everyone is a puss. Not everyone is scared.
    Some people just have different, valid approaches.

OK if you do your squats right, all the way down, shoulder wide stance, there is nothing better than squats, you can always tell who does and who does not, the shape seems different, the ones who do not squat have usually more straight legs and not so flared out and missing that roundness too it. First and foremost you need to do the movement right, than comes the weight into play !

Quote Originally Posted by Juggertha View Post
    I think using any superstar as a reason is bullshit.

Arnold did these, so I will too - and look like him! Or Levrone never did these, so I don't need to.

Truth is, we all have to find what matches our bodies and our goals.

My issue… with this issue is - I have NEVER went up to someone and said - Hey, you should STOP squatting. Squats are the worst!!!
    Yet it seems like a lot of people, especially on forums, trot out the opposite - You NEED to squat! If you don't squat, you're a puss!! Squats are THE exercise!!

I know what it's like to have 7 a side. I know that feeling of how the bar bows with each step back. And yeah, I sort of miss it. But again, My legs didn't get big because of it. My ass grew! My hips got strong. But I still walked around the gym with the nickname "Luckylegs" (lucky they didn't break off and go up my ass).

So if I had a message to all those people promoting squatting please realize - not everyone is a puss. Not everyone is scared.
    Some people just have different, valid approaches.

Not being rude, but like I stated few pages before...EGO. Treat the squatting like your hacksquat of 20 slow reps for 5 sets, etc..Stick with around 65-75% and do 3-5 second negatives per rep. Noone said to max on squats, but if someone used squats like they hack squatted they would get more by squatting over the hackquatting IMO.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

Thursday? Let me guess after leg day, through the mirror and under a light?
    Who the fuck takes quad pics after leg workout???I donīt know about you but my legs look like piece of meat with zero separation after leg workout, actually similar to yours lol.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Neva View Post
    HAHAHAHA

For the guys who are not squatting because of poor flexability or hip issues I suggest you learn who Kelly Starrett is. Seriously, in the strength and fitness world he is revered for this shit...

I will give this a shot, not that I will ever do barbell squats, but having flexible hips is healthy in general. Thanks.

Not being rude, but like I stated few pages before...EGO. Treat the squatting like your hacksquat of 20 slow reps for 5 sets, etc..Stick with around 65-75% and do 3-5 second negatives per rep. Noone said to max on squats, but if someone used squats like they hack squatted they would get more by squatting over the hackquatting IMO.
    That's a very valid point, and one I often forget. All too often, I look at the squat as a power exercise… not a BB one. And push through it as such.

That being said, I tried those one-legged step ups today, and after finding my groove, really liked them for a quad pump. No compression on my spine.

Quote Originally Posted by MEAT ROCKET View Post
    Have not squatted since this and don't really ever plan on it again. I used to squat nearly every leg day along with hacks and everything else. I always felt I had to really kill myself on leg day like most of us do but whenever I'm fully rehabbed from this injury I doubt I'll have that mindset anymore. Prob be less intense and just moderate weights/reps trying to somewhat maintain. I'm not a bodybuilder, just love lifting and trying to look my best. But I can't risk my career by pushing the envelope with this stuff.

Be careful, hack squats are far more dangerous for your knees than free weight squats
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

Nobody said to just do squats, but heavy squats will build a very impressive base for your entire structure. I just can't see why a person who is wanting to look "powerful" wouldn't do them. Hack squats are not even close to being the same...nothing is. Not even front squats.
    some people just cant recruit the right muscles when doing squats. i am talking from a bodybuilding standpoint. what good is it gonna do you to diet down and realize that you have these massive glutes, a thick and strong lower back, yet no quad sweep and tear drop to balance out the entire physique?
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Dang dude, you need to stretch before you tear something. LOL.

I bet if they dieted down some of those dudes would have the best musculature in their glutes and backs compared to most guys even though they never directly work either.
    That's what I was thinking, lol

Even pushing 300lbs a few years ago I could still grab my toes straight legged feet together. But!! I stretch 3x a day for a few minutes

Great for recovery, fascia = growthshape

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    some people just cant recruit the right muscles when doing squats. i am talking from a bodybuilding standpoint. what good is it gonna do you to diet down and realize that you have these massive glutes, a thick and strong lower back, yet no quad sweep and tear drop to balance out the entire physique?
    Those people should learn how to squat properly
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

Quote Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    Be careful, hack squats are far more dangerous for your knees than free weight squats
    Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Not really.

There is a lot of sheering force on your knees in a hack squat. A free weight squat, when done properly, puts much less force on your knees.
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

A lot of force goes through the knees if the knee cap is goes further forward than your toes. In hacksquats you can place your feet higher to prevent that very efficiently. Also because you donīt have to worry too much about stabilization, you can focus more on keeping ankles/knees/hips in optimal position.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast