Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • I Don't Squat Due to Medical Reasons

13 9.70%
  • I Don't Squat Because They Are Not Effective

7 5.22%
  • I Squat

73 54.48%
  • If I Could Only Do One Leg Movement For The Rest Of My Life It Would Be Squats

41 30.60%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Who Squats?

It's like they told you when you were a kid in school not squatting is only cheating yourself
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Who the fuck takes quad pics after leg workout???I donīt know about you but my legs look like piece of meat with zero separation after leg workout, actually similar to yours lol.
    So true about taking pics after leg day. Bolsen, you're good at pushing heavy weight, why not just leave it at that?

A lot of force goes through the knees if the knee cap is goes further forward than your toes. In hacksquats you can place your feet higher to prevent that very efficiently. Also because you donīt have to worry too much about stabilization, you can focus more on keeping ankles/knees/hips in optimal position.
    Actually the dangers of knees over toes is proving to be overrated. Brad Schoenfeld has said that yes, having your knees go forward is gonna put stress on your knees, but no enough to cause any kind of damage.

I also saw this the other day...

http://www.luciano.si/images/blog015_raziskava.pdf

It says that when knees shot forward (unrestricted), it added 250% more force on the knee.....but when trying to keep your shins vertical and knees back (restricted), it added 2000% more force to the hips.

And here is a breakdown by The Strength Guys

Repost of the Week - Are Squats bad for your knees?

Mclaughlin, Lardner & Dillman (1978) noted that the shins should remain as vertical as possible to reduce torque on the knees. While it is true that torque increases as the knee travels further forward, they did not account for hip torque. In 2003, Fry et al. did just that and saw a ~1000% increase in hip torque when preventing the knees from passing the toes, as compared to a ~250% increase in knee torque when the knees were allowed to pass the toes.

The "don't let your knees past your toes" cue is given to beginners to avoid the habit of putting the weight on their toes, making it more difficult/nearly impossible to engage the hamstrings. The two main preventative mechanisms of going into anterior tibial translation are the ACL and the Hamstrings. If the Hamstrings are not engaged in the squat that burden is placed on the ACL.

So are Squats bad for your knees? Absolutely not. Squats with bad form are bad for your knees. Control the movement and distribute your weight correctly and reap the benefits out of one of the best exercises available.

- Coach Andrew & Coach Jason

Quote Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
    We use the SSB often to train ourselves to stay upright as the bar puuls your neck down and causes your upper back to round. In essence building your upper back to handle more weight.
    SSB has helped my BB squat form tremendously. John Meadows has me use a SSB every few weeks for squats and when I go back to BB, I find it easier to stay more upright and tighter.

Quote Originally Posted by naturalguy View Post
    It's like they told you when you were a kid in school not squatting is only cheating yourself
    there is no exercise that is the end all be all everyone must do
    Like all true bodybuilders I get my supplements from the manufacturer instead of a marketing company I get my supplements at www.truenutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by UriahMcGee View Post
    Kegels

You are correct, however it's my opinion that you are severely limiting your potential if you don't squat
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

pics are old but still
    Damn son looking solid. Definitely pro card potential.

You are correct, however it's my opinion that you are severely limiting your potential if you don't squat
    is that you in the pic animal guy?

Quote Originally Posted by ritch View Post
    is that you in the pic animal guy?
    Yes
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

Yes
    so you're more of a powerlifter?

Quote Originally Posted by ritch View Post
    so you're more of a powerlifter?
    I compete in powerlifting now but I did some bodybuilding competitions back in the day
    instagram @naturalguy1
    instagram @universalusa

A lot of force goes through the knees if the knee cap is goes further forward than your toes. In hacksquats you can place your feet higher to prevent that very efficiently. Also because you donīt have to worry too much about stabilization, you can focus more on keeping ankles/knees/hips in optimal position.
    Again, learn how to squat correctly. You are just proving my point, the squat is too difficult to learn so the lazy people skip it. That's you...the "lazy people."
    I went Camp Crystal Lake when I was younger.

Training Log

Everyone trying to go against squats either has a bag ego with them or has bad form from some underlying issue or to big of an ego to start over and re-learn with better form. Or they are too lazy, since 9x out of 10, because will say they hate squats. Everyone at my gym hate them, except 2 of us.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

I'm not against someone not doing squats, but I personally feel like I don't do anything meaningful during my routine when I take squats out sometimes to rest my body.
    B-NEVA-"You should have fingered the judges like the MPD guy, he won his pro card his next show!"

i squat, but i have zero problem with people who dont. i dont deadlift, it is a overrated exercise for me personaly. i dont know how many people have annoyed me because i dont deadlift anymore. same with shoulder presses and barbell bench press. i find that dumbells are way better for both chest and delts and military press is probably the most overrated excersise ever to me. i dont like barbell curl, bothers my wrists, i just do dumbells and ez-bar. arnold would probably crucify me because i dont do flat barbell bp or bb curls, but i just do what i like to do.
    front squats, barbell row, pull ups, incline db bp, isolation stuff for the delts are MY bread and butter exercises.

There is a lot of sheering force on your knees in a hack squat. A free weight squat, when done properly, puts much less force on your knees.
    ask yourself what the goal is...to prove that you can learn how to squat properly, or to grow wheels as big as you can?
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes to the Father, but by Me.
    JESUS THE CHRIST

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast